Blog from a becoming Buddhist

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Victoryoftheppl

Blog from a becoming Buddhist

Post by Victoryoftheppl »

I wanted to document my experience as I begin studying Buddhism. I especially want to document my experience and journey and look back on my past convictiosn in the future to see what has changed, if they still stand true, or see if my past self can give me a little guidance. I wanted to invite you all to read and watch the process as well. I plan on writing daily, all of my thoughts, questions, realizations into my blog. I have a personal journal I'm keeping as well. But, whenever I post a new blog, I'll post a link here for you all to read. Please, feel free to discuss anything I post, I wholeheartedly welcome it!

Metta,
Nikki

Here is my first blog I made yesterday. Enjoy.
Punya

Re: Blog from a becoming Buddhist

Post by Punya »

I wish you well with this Nikki. Enjoy the journey! :smile:
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

I'll be sure to check out your blog once I get home. :) Thanks, and may your blogging help you along the path, friend.
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."

Nam mô A di đà Phật!
Victoryoftheppl

Punya wrote:I wish you well with this Nikki. Enjoy the journey! :smile:
Thank-you so much for those kind words. It's really eye opening. I've made a second blog and it goes into more personal revelations. I know as someone begins to study, you question and let your experiences be your answer to make you a believer. What's beautiful is that these lessons I'm supposed to learn aren't hidden in a story where I have to interpret It's "This is what we're doing as sentient beings and these are the lessons you can take into your life to correct it." Even the smallest adjustment from what I've learned so far has made a difference. This is so enthralling. I'm so happy for the decision I've made.

Today's blog on Love and Compassion.
Hickersonia wrote:I'll be sure to check out your blog once I get home. :) Thanks, and may your blogging help you along the path, friend.
Thank-you for the kind wishes and for accompanying me on my journey :]
Victoryoftheppl

Post for today in regards to meditation and more on my life while trying to incorporate Buddha's teachings into my life.

I actually have a couple of questions which I'll edit a link to it here once I've posted it.
Victoryoftheppl

I regressed. I'm not mad or sad. It's just a realization of how hard this path is. I think I've overwhelmed myself emotionally and mentally. Tomorrow is a new day and I won't lose sleep over it. I'm better than I was and at least I'm growing :]
Today's Post.
Monsoon

Post by Monsoon »

Hey Nikki, hang in there :hug:

I know I am only a beginner like you but I think you are doing just fine! As a very good friend of mine once said "Baby steps".

In your last blog you said that you don't know how relationships can repair themselves. Simple answer is that they don't. The participants have to do it, and it is hard, very hard at times, but a mended friendship, repaired with love is often deeper than one that has yet to experience any difficulties. Samuel Johnson once remarked that one should keep one's friendships in constant repair.

I know this is not technically a Buddhist text but I think it is appropriate here:

Your friend is your needs answered.
He is your field which you sow with love and reap with thanksgiving.
And he is your board and your fireside.
For you come to him with your hunger, and you seek him for peace.

When your friend speaks his mind you fear not the "nay" in your own mind, nor do you withhold the "ay."
And when he is silent your heart ceases not to listen to his heart;
For without words, in friendship, all thoughts, all desires, all expectations are born and shared, with joy that is unacclaimed.
When you part from your friend, you grieve not;
For that which you love most in him may be clearer in his absence, as the mountain to the climber is clearer from the plain.
And let there be no purpose in friendship save the deepening of the spirit.
For love that seeks aught but the disclosure of its own mystery is not love but a net cast forth: and only the unprofitable is caught.

And let your best be for your friend.
If he must know the ebb of your tide, let him know its flood also.
For what is your friend that you should seek him with hours to kill?
Seek him always with hours to live.
For it is his to fill your need, but not your emptiness.
And in the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures.
For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed.

Kahlil Gibran
Let peace reign!

Metta,

Monsoon
Victoryoftheppl

This is Today's post. A bit late, but I had this feeling of sickness this morning and decided to relax until I felt it was gone.

I revisited impermanence and death. It still leaves a bit of a drop in my stomach, but finally understanding what the author was trying to convey helped a lot.

I did have a couple of questions:

1) If we come to the understanding that we can't change our environment, how is it exactly all of our unsatificastory expriences is on us?

This question stems from this expert from the book:
Unsatisfactory experiences occur simply because the causes for them exist. One cause
is our disturbing attitudes, such as ignorance, attachment, and anger. The other is the
harmful actions we have engaged in, such as killing, stealing, and lying, which are
motivated by disturbing attitudes. By developing the wisdom realizing selflessness, we
will eliminate the disturbing attitudes and the contaminated actions they cause, thus
stopping the source of our problems.
2) I read the chapter on "Selflessness" and I do not understand one bit. I'm going to look at other literature on the issue, but if someone on the forums could help, that'd be awesome.
-------

Thanks Monsoon ^_^ I appreciate those words. There's such a huge negative connotation on the word "failed", but failing isn't always bad, it's always what you do after that experience that determines whether you actually failed or not.
lobster

Post by lobster »

Think of selfishness like this:

my words about me
my games I play
my time I waste
my pain I feel

Ok now think about others:

What struggle are they engaged in?
What do I do to improve my self/the situation?
What can I let go of that is pained?
Does Buddhism help my potential to be useful?

Is there a difference that makes sense?
Punya

Post by Punya »

In the Mahayana tradition, the equivalent term for selflessness is emptiness.To quote Geshe Tashi Tsering:

At present we suffer because we misread how all phenomena exist. The study of emptiness is to redress this misunderstanding and eliminate our suffering.

What Makes You Not A Buddhist by Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche includes a good introduction to the concept of emptiness.

Return to “Lounge”