Good night everyone

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
headphonesOn

Good night everyone

Post by headphonesOn »

I was looking for some information I guess is not that easy to be found, so I figured out registring in this forum would be a quite good solution.
My name is Roberto. Since many years ago I have been in touch with buddhism, but my "loyalty" has been in lots of up-downs because either I cannot find answers or I´m living this path on my very own. I live in norwich and over here there is a Buddhist centre where they do the Triratna way, and just don't feel my place there.
So I was wondering if researching which Buddhist tradition is more suitable for me and then look for people would be helpful or just wait for a miracle... :tongue:
The question I am trying to sort out is if there is any place where I could compare different traditions.

Hope my english is clear enough for you :rolleye:
lobster

Re: Good night everyone

Post by lobster »

Hi Roberto,
:anjali:

Wikipedia and google will give you a miraculous amount of information about different traditions, as will non aligned forums. Did they meditate in a way not to your liking in Norwich? Apart from miracles, what are you interested in?

I am sure you will find what you are looking for . . . not really sure what that is? Good luck. :thumbsup:
headphonesOn

Post by headphonesOn »

Meditation is quite the same thing, here and there. The thing is Triratna Buddhism has only 50 years of life, is a very young tradition, and everything to me sounds quite non-diligent. Thanks for telling me, but wikipedia is very poor or at least not very clear about this...
What I am looking for is a tradition where I can continue my path and meet people to "walk" with.
Is not a very big thing, but unfortunately quiet hard to find.
Thank you for your help and hope anyone could tell me any other source (skipping wikipedia).
We´ll be in touch :thumbsup:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

headphonesOn

Post by headphonesOn »

Thank you David :)
Punya

Post by Punya »

Hi and welcome Roberto (or should I say Hola or Ciao?) :smile:

Interesting question. I don't know how useful it is but here's a comparison of the Theravada and Mahayana traditions http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/his ... rative.htm. Buddhanet has lots of other resources too including the Worldwide Directory.

I would say that if you not able to visit different buddhist centres in person then read some books by teachers of different traditions and take your time to see what resonates.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Welcome Roberto! I am going to agree with "Punya" and recommend doing some reading to see which tradition/approach to practice clicks for you and then tracking down a centre based in this tradition or utilising this approach.

I have met some really dedicated practitioners from Triratna but the overall approach of the organisation is somewhat eclectic. This has it's benefits and its disadvantages.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Introductions”