Non-celibate Buddhism

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
shaunc

Non-celibate Buddhism

Post by shaunc »

Mostly the monastics of any Buddhist school/sect are celibate. The only exceptions to this that I know of are some of the Tibetan schools & most of the Japanese schools. If anyone knows of some others please let me know & also the followers of these schools, what in your opinion are the pros & cons of this type of Buddhism.
practitioner

Re: Non-celibate Buddhism

Post by practitioner »

Monastics in Tibetan Buddhism are celibate. However there are many lamas and highly realized teachers who are not celibate, but they are also not monks or nuns. Tibetan Buddism does not view becoming a monastic as a prerequisite to teaching or accomplishing the Dharma.
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva
nem

Post by nem »

shaunc wrote:what in your opinion are the pros & cons of this type of Buddhism.
I'm coming from a Theravada background where celibacy is the norm for the monastics, and for the laypeople during times of taking 8 precepts. Many of the esteemed teachers like Bhante G and Ajahn Chah have explained that celibacy is a tool for realizing where your mind goes. Also, basically that not spending time chasing after romance/sex with other people gives you more time for meditation practice. Bhante G describes it as also, losing the predatory nature of those types of relationships. Creating an environment where we can live in comfort as brothers and sisters in the dhamma without pretense. But...

I've been on retreat in a monastic setting with noble silence and 8 precepts. I can tell you that of course, I'm still not seeing women as 'sisters' during the retreat. When I see a woman there, I think in a relationship way that I wonder what could be, even though I've never spoken to them due to noble silence. I think it would be nice to be with someone, who has common values in the Buddhist path, which is rare in my country to find a woman like that who is so serious about practice, to go to a retreat. But, that's clinging too. And that's something to reflect on. In the retreats that I've been on, the women and men sit on opposite sides of the meditation hall. I guess the abbots, understand that even being close to the opposite sex can create a meditation distraction.

Ajahn Chah suggested that people who are laypeople, need to meditate even more than monks. Because they have this stress of personal relationship.He told monks, that laypeople have become enlightened, then he expects monks can easily do it because they have none of those distractions. :smile:

That's what non-celibacy is in Buddhist practice terms. It's a distraction. For example, one of the benefits of not eating after noon, is not spending time eating and having more time to meditate. Then..how much time is spent chasing the opposite sex? Also, lost meditation time. That's how some teachers view it.
Ramon1920

Post by Ramon1920 »

Monks are always celibate.

if you wear robes you should make it clear whether or not you are celibate.

Not everyone that wears robes is a monk.

Tantra vows can be more strict than a monks' and allow for sex, but the sex is not normal sex. I think tantra can be very good, but also very bad. I've heard tantra is the fastest way to hell for some, maybe even for most who attempt it. People like tantra because they think it's an easy route to nirvana where they don't have to make an effort or change their bad tendencies. I wonder if they even recognize their mistake when they get their vows or if it never sets in how deep they've gotten themselves because they never took tantra seriously anyways.
flavio81

Post by flavio81 »

nem wrote:Also, basically that not spending time chasing after romance/sex with other people gives you more time for meditation practice.
... and you save money as well!! :mrgreen:

But as practitioner wrote above:
practitioner wrote:Tibetan Buddism does not view becoming a monastic as a prerequisite to teaching or accomplishing the Dharma.
So note that in that case there aren't "two types of Buddhism".

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”