What Is Chod in layman's Terms?

Mikeliegler

What Is Chod in layman's Terms?

Post by Mikeliegler »

What is Chod? It sound's spooky and scary from what I know. Isn't it a ritual means of chopping ones body up to offer other being's? I know that Catholic's beleave Jesus offer's his body for sin's and others believe in the Sin Eaters. I'm sure there are more that I've not heard of.

:reading:

Mike
philji

Re: What Is Chod in layman's Terms?

Post by philji »

Hi Mike yes Chod is both spooky and scary...it works with our greatest fears and attachments and yes uses a visualization whereby we offer that which is most dear to us...our own body, to the Buddhas, the Bodhisattvas, to other beings also including those who torment us and cause us problems. It is therefore a practice rooted in Bodhichitta or immeasurable loving kindness and compassion.
It contains all the Elements of the foundational practices of ngondro as well as the bodhisattva practices of the six Paramitas.
To be practiced correctly you need to seek out a teacher who has practiced this intensely. :spy:
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

"Chod" is actually a complete lineage of practice, with a wide variety of methods and instructions.

What most people call "Chod" is something more properly termed "LuJin" or "Offering One's body," and it is indeed a ritual meditation practice that involves visualizations connected with offering up one's body. "Chod" means "Cutting," so it's a fairly graphic and descriptive term.....but in actuality, the real, ultimate meaning is the "cutting" of attachment to Samsara--in other words, enlightenment. In essence, it has the same meaning as the Prajnaparamita sutras--the Nonconceptual, direct experience of Wisdom.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Mikeliegler

Post by Mikeliegler »

Thank you for those explanation's I'm without a qualified teacher so I'll leave this one alone then. No sense riling up some spooks. I'm just a curious newbie poking around to see what chod is.

:jawdrop:

Mike
philji

Post by philji »

Good luck with your journey Mike.... :anjali:
Caz

Post by Caz »

Try this explanation by Zong Rinpoche.

By reading perhaps you will create the causes to come into contact with it in the future. :namaste:

http://www.amazon.com/Chod-The-Ganden-T ... 1559392614
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
flavio81

Post by flavio81 »

Mikeliegler wrote:What is Chod?
It is to cut through attachments.
Mikeliegler wrote: I know that Catholic's beleave Jesus offer's his body for sin's
A perfect example of a Chöd practice...

Return to “Chod”