proper ways to dispose of Buddhist objects?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Luke

proper ways to dispose of Buddhist objects?

Post by Luke »

Hello,

So I am continuing my process of disengagement from Tibetan Buddhism. I finally wrote an email to my lama, and he was sad that I no longer want to be part of his sangha, but he didn't try to talk me into staying either. In addition to being a lama, he is quite a gentleman and is very understanding.

Anyway, I would like to dispose of some of the objects I have accumulated during my time practicing Vajrayana, but I want to do this in the proper and respectful way. The nicer things, such as thangkas and puja texts, I will give away to Vajrayana practioners whom I know.

But would you please tell me how to dispose of these objects? Is burning them the proper thing to do?
-katas
-cords of protection which I received from lamas at empowerments
-brochures with pictures of great lamas on them
-malas

Although let me state again that I am not against Vajrayana as a religion. I am just going through a big turning point in my life and I feel that other Buddhist traditions will be better for me. I have met many amazing and kind people during the years which I practiced Vajrayana, and I wish deeply that H.H. the Dalai Lama will one day be able to return to a free Tibet.
Konchog1

Re: proper ways to dispose of Buddhist objects?

Post by Konchog1 »

-katas
-malas
I'd give away these.
Burn them.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Konchog1 wrote:
-katas
-malas
I'd give away these.
That's a good intention, for sure.

And isn't it generally recommended though that we don't use ritual items that others have used before?

I mean if a High Lama had made use of ritual Dharma items before and we happen to end up with them, then us using them would of course be a blessing.

And if ritual items were used by other 'ordinary' practitioners before, then maybe we don't know what kind of "energies" those items might be imbibed with...; so probably better to not use 'hand-me-down' ritual items.

This being the case, I was doing a little research on this and it seems that it is okay for one to bury Dharma items in a clean place, or to put them in the bottom of a clean, deep stream or river (i.e. not stagnant water). I wonder where one could find a stream or river that is both clean AND deep (deep, so that no one is likely to find the sunken Dharma items)? Not very likely nowadays I'd think.

Perhaps it is possible for one to totally and completely re-consecrate Dharma items that have been used by other 'ordinary' practitioners before; or perhaps have a High Lama re-consecrate them for us so that we can be sure that our 'hand-me-down' ritual items are good for our own practice.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Lhug-Pa wrote:And isn't it generally recommended though that we don't use ritual items that others have used before?

I mean if a High Lama had made use of ritual Dharma items before and we happen to end up with them, then us using them would of course be a blessing.

And if ritual items were used by other 'ordinary' practitioners before, then maybe we don't know what kind of "energies" those items might be imbibed with...; so probably better to not use 'hand-me-down' ritual items.
I've heard of that too. I think it's called "Drip". But I believe it's only a problem if the original owner was non-virtuous. (Drip also affects second hand clothes and the like as well)
Lhug-Pa wrote: Perhaps it is possible for one to totally and completely re-consecrate Dharma items that have been used by other 'ordinary' practitioners before; or perhaps have a High Lama re-consecrate them for us so that we can be sure that our 'hand-me-down' ritual items are good for our own practice.
I'm sure it's possible, unless the original owner was a Samaya breaker who was also a mass murderer or something.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Jainarayan

Post by Jainarayan »

Why not just carefully, respectfully and lovingly pack them away? One never knows what the future can hold. Barring that I can only relate that In Hinduism broken or discarded items are brought to a flowing body of water such a a river, and submerged. Unfortunately it raises a problem with possibly toxic paints, resins and plaster used to make the items, but wood, metal, fabrics and paper are no environmental hazard. I don't know if that's acceptable in Buddhism, but I too am curious if the time ever comes that I have to dispose of a damaged object.
ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
oṃ namo bhagavate vāsudevāya
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

Lhug-Pa wrote: 'ordinary' practitioners
No one who holds the Bodhisattva vow is ordinary!
maybay

Post by maybay »

Why don't you ask the other Buddhist traditions. The only exit strategy in Tantra is through the crown.
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
mandala

Post by mandala »

Luke wrote: But would you please tell me how to dispose of these objects? Is burning them the proper thing to do?
-katas
-malas
Why don't you offer up all of your dharma belongings, with gratitude, to your Lama?

:smile:
Luke

Post by Luke »

Thanks for the answers everyone.
mandala wrote: Why don't you offer up all of your dharma belongings, with gratitude, to your Lama?

:smile:
I guess I kind of feel that that is like rubbing in the fact that I'm leaving him. Also, he lives in a different country. I think it's easier for me to give these things to Vajrayana practitioners where I live.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”