Classifying Schools

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
dakini_boi

Classifying Schools

Post by dakini_boi »

Since DW is changing the structure of the site anyway, I wanted to make a further suggestion. It seems to me that classifying various schools based on recent geographical origin ("Tibetan Buddhism" and "East Asian Buddhism") is less relevant/accurate than classifying based on the type of school or lineage. I propose that the Mahayana forum contain the subforums of Zen, Pure Land, etc, and have a Vajrayana forum containing subforums of the Tibetan schools, plus Shingon and Tendai.
Luke

Re: Classifying Schools

Post by Luke »

A long time ago in this forum, both Tibetan Buddhism and Shingon were subforums in the Vajrayana section, but then this was changed. I'm not sure why, but perhaps the Shingon practitioners prefer to have their subforum in the East Asian Buddhism section.
Son of Buddha

Post by Son of Buddha »

I wouldn't consider Tendai to be Vajrayana
Shingon sure.
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Would you exclude Vajrayana from Mahayana? Shingon was removed from the Tibetan area years ago because they are two different systems with different history, and it was suggested by some Shingon followers who found the unending comparisons and such with Tibetan Vajrayana tiresome (IIRC). Tibetan and East Asian exist separately because they are distinct historical developments of Mahayana with several significant differences between the two, while the two groups share a lot within their own area. If anyone wants to discuss this topic about the differences between major Mahayana groups please open a topic for it in the Mahayana forum.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"

Return to “Suggestion Box”