Is lhung needed to recite this?

Dharmaswede

Is lhung needed to recite this?

Post by Dharmaswede »

Greetings,

Is lhung needed for "Yearning song of intense faith - calling the Guru from afar", composed by H.E. Sangye Nyenpa Rinpoche.

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Jens
heart

Re: Is lhung needed to recite this?

Post by heart »

"Lung" is always better Jens because then it is a proper transmission. However, if you make up your mind to try and get it in the future I think that it is possible to use prayers without "lung", I certainly do.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Pero

Post by Pero »

heart wrote:"Lung" is always better Jens because then it is a proper transmission. However, if you make up your mind to try and get it in the future I think that it is possible to use prayers without "lung", I certainly do.

/magnus
I personally don't believe lungs are really necessary for prayers and invocations because if you don't understand the words they are pretty much useless (unlike mantras). I suppose the exception to that would be when there is a specific melody for singing which might have some meditative effect.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Dharmaswede

Post by Dharmaswede »

Thank you for the replies, they are greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Jens
Dhondrub

Post by Dhondrub »

By Kyabje Sangye Nyenpa? You make me curious. Where did you find it?

Best

Tashi
Dharmaswede

Post by Dharmaswede »

Oh, a Dharma friend sent it to me (unsolicited).

Best Regards,

Jens
Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden »

Isn't the point of this prayer to find a guru? Might be silly for it to require a lung since you'd need a guru for that. :P
Dharmaswede

Post by Dharmaswede »

There are many kinds of gurus... outer, inner, secret, root, those that cross you path briefly etc. etc. To me, the term guru in that sense is multilayered. Although it is of course literal too!

Lung is always good, but not always mandatory. In some cases that distinction is crucial.

Best Regards,

Jens

Return to “Kagyu”