White Sage for Sang Offering

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Arnoud

White Sage for Sang Offering

Post by Arnoud »

Does anyone know if this is okay or better not? I can't find Riwo Sangchod incense here to save my life and I am running out of my juniper stack which I brought from India last year. I found some White Sage in a store in town. Can I use that?
florin

Re: White Sage for Sang Offering

Post by florin »

Clarence wrote:Does anyone know if this is okay or better not? I can't find Riwo Sangchod incense here to save my life and I am running out of my juniper stack which I brought from India last year. I found some White Sage in a store in town. Can I use that?
Yes you can use sage, as well as juniper, cedar, frankincense , myrrh...etc..
To the above , if you have the chance you can add some good quality tibetan incense...otherwise they are ok on their own...
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I dunno about white sage. Sage is normally burnt as a purifying agent, that means it has the capacity to repel. Something you do not want to be doing during a sang offering (which is why guggul/myrrh is a no-no as well).
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Thanks guys. Now I am more confused than before. :D Maybe someone else will weigh in.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Clarence wrote:Thanks guys. Now I am more confused than before. :D Maybe someone else will weigh in.
Glad to be of disservice! :tongue:

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

Where are you located? Juniper is extremely common over most of North America. You can gather your own if you are here.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Western Europe.
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

Clarence wrote:Western Europe.
You are bound to find some around you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_communis

You can also use cedar. Best for either is to wet it a bit to produce dense white smoke.

When you are picking it, be sure to just take a small branch from any given shrub or tree. Don't denude the entire plant.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Western Europe? It grows wild in the mountains of Western Europe. The other thing you can do is to buy a juniper tree and plant it in a large pot in your backya, or balcony, or near a window... Fresh Juniper all year round! You can also buy dried juniper berries from herb/spice shops. Crush them up and burn them on charcoal disks.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”