How often should we reread important texts?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Ramon1920

How often should we reread important texts?

Post by Ramon1920 »

What's the best time frame for rereading/restudying texts?

This inquiry was prompted by the last 4 times I wanted to quote a specific line in Bodhicharyaavatara and struggled to find them with any ease because I had forgotten the lay out and I can't search texts for verbatim phrases without the exact translation I remembered it from because translators use different words and sentences.
Huifeng

Re: How often should we reread important texts?

Post by Huifeng »

Ramon1920 wrote:What's the best time frame for rereading/restudying texts?

This inquiry was prompted by the last 4 times I wanted to quote a specific line in Bodhicharyaavatara and struggled to find them with any ease because I had forgotten the lay out and I can't search texts for verbatim phrases without the exact translation I remembered it from because translators use different words and sentences.
Until each and every word that comes out of our mouths is worth writing down and being studied by others, and every action we make is worthy of study and emulation. Probably not far before full awakening.

~~ Huifeng
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

My TianTai teacher says that we should pick a sutra that we like and try to read it at least 1000 times.
He says at that point the deep teachings of the sutra really start to sink in.
His specialty is the Lotus Sutra, he reads/recites a chapter a day, makes it through the entire sutra once a month, gets about 12 full readings each year, and hits the 1000 mark about every 9 years.
Ramon1920

Post by Ramon1920 »

I am amazed by how much effort many people put into studying. It's really humbling.
Ramon1920

Post by Ramon1920 »

PorkChop wrote:My TianTai teacher says that we should pick a sutra that we like and try to read it at least 1000 times.
He says at that point the deep teachings of the sutra really start to sink in.
His specialty is the Lotus Sutra, he reads/recites a chapter a day, makes it through the entire sutra once a month, gets about 12 full readings each year, and hits the 1000 mark about every 9 years.
Thanks PorkChop,
I'm adopting this refreshing study habit.
lobster

Post by lobster »

Ramon1920 wrote:I am amazed by how much effort many people put into studying. It's really humbling.

:twothumbsup:

Indeed. I can barely get past 'Emptiness is form and form is emptiness' as a daily study. :smile:
Martin007

Post by Martin007 »

Ramon1920 wrote:What's the best time frame for rereading/restudying texts?
I've found the ideal time is while on retreat. If not on retreat, then after meditation works well for me. What I'm less clear about is whether it's best to study widely or focus on a narrow area.
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

porpoise wrote:I've found the ideal time is while on retreat. If not on retreat, then after meditation works well for me. What I'm less clear about is whether it's best to study widely or focus on a narrow area.
Even though my teacher recommends narrow study, given that I'm a convert not raised in a Buddhist culture, my stance has been to study widely until I find an area that I'd like to focus on. This is also pretty consistent with the western education model, as most tend to study general requirement classes before deciding on a major.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”