The proper sharing of dharma

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Individual

The proper sharing of dharma

Post by Individual »

When you try to share dharma with others, do you ever ask yourself:

"Am I inspiring people to practice good dhamma, or am I demoralizing them (undercutting their self-esteem), with criticism, negativity, and a lack of patience or discernment?"

"Am I inspiring people to practice good dharma, or am I flattering them (exhorting their pride) by only saying pleasant and emotionally-supportive things, without pointing out what's wrong & right or what's true & false?"

"Am I inspiring people to practice good dharma, or am I ignoring them, because I think they are too stupid to learn, when the reality is that I am too stupid to teach?"

:)
spiritnoname

Re: The proper sharing of dharma

Post by spiritnoname »

I ask the first question pretty often, I have to because while I am just trying to be frank, it often involves a lot of criticism and words to the contrary. I've always loved teachers that are frank, and they've helped me the most I think, so naturally I talk like they talk, I've picked up their mannerisms. It might not be the best thing for everyone though, and while most of this happens during open discussions, it's really not my place to correct everyone, which seems to be all that I do on the internet.

So I dunno, I like to think I'm snazzing up the atmosphere, bringing critical thinking and integrity to Buddhism in the USA but for all intensive purposes I might just be an @$$hole.

:coffee:
Individual

Re: The proper sharing of dharma

Post by Individual »

spiritnoname wrote: it's really not my place to correct everyone, which seems to be all that I do on the internet.
You're not alone! :)

Internet forums especially seem to attract people that love to argue!

This can really destroy a lot of online communities. It happened even in early Buddhism:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And sometimes it seems it only takes one troublemaker to come along and disrupt things.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”