K̶u̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶u̶ Buddhist culture in America

Share your stories and poems with us here.
Ramon1920

K̶u̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶u̶ Buddhist culture in America

Post by Ramon1920 »

I've noticed a few Buddhist teachers that have the pomp and mannerisms of a hollywood kung fu master.

I sometimes wonder what's going through the mind of these people. :thinking:

I would ask them directly, but I'm sure I would get a 1990's movie line, "who is asking the question (I don't want to answer)?". :sage:

How do these people stay in business? Is it a form of schizophrenia? :shrug:

Should I praise them for keeping in character so long? :applause:

Still waiting for the ninjas to show up,

Ramon1920 :popcorn:
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: K̶u̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶u̶ Buddhist culture in America

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

What or who is a hollywood kung fu master?

Anyway, people like that stay in business because many people interested in Buddhism have no cultural background in it, and know little to nothing about it. Not hard to take advantage of people looking for answers when they are a blank slate like that, you can make up any old thing really and anyone unmotivated enough to vet or at least consider the information will lap it up I suspect.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
shel

Post by shel »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:What or who is a hollywood kung fu master?
The reference harkens back to a prior age, youngster. The correct answer is David Carradine, 1936–2009.
Ramon1920 wrote:I sometimes wonder what's going through the mind of these people.
If I recall correctly, something like, "I seek water."
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Heh i'm old enough to remember Kung fu, at least in reruns on a crappy old balck and white;). Just didn't connect the dots.

Anyway, one thing that bothered me when I was involved with one Zen group was that some people seemed to maybe have a kind of anti-intellectual bent, in the sense that they thought "practice" was so much more important than intellectual understanding that they pretty avoided any intellectual understanding whatsoever. I very much liked my teacher, and he didn't engage in this sort of thing, but I did get this vibe from many of the students.

In that kind of environment, meaningless but cool-sounding slogans and stuff can really find a home. Being unwilling to engage in any "intellectual Buddhism" pretty much means that you won't be able to critically evaluate what's being taught.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5I94bT23cQ
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Ramon1920 wrote:I've noticed a few Buddhist teachers that have the pomp and mannerisms of a hollywood kung fu master.
??????

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
lobster

Post by lobster »

How do these people stay in business? Is it a form of schizophrenia?
A lot of the time it is reflecting the needs and expectations of students.
:oops:

Teaching independent of form, formality and expectation also comes from senior practitioners who are not playing a part. The issue is then not the business of crazy teachers but crazed students . . . :shrug:

What would you prefer from teachers? Who is an example for you? :popcorn:
Ramon1920

Post by Ramon1920 »

Good examples of Western teachers that can be looked up online are Thubten Chodron, Alex Berzin, Thanissaro Bhikkhu, and Bodhi Bhikkhu.

There's no, "Look at me. I'm special." that I've seen about them.

They are respectful of the teachings.
They take the teachings seriously and avoid misrepresenting.
They are knowledgeable of the teachings.

Time of course may corrupt the teachers mentioned. So if someone reads this in a few years, it may not represent my opinion any longer.
flavio81

Post by flavio81 »

Ramon1920 wrote:I've noticed a few Buddhist teachers that have the pomp and mannerisms of a hollywood kung fu master.
That is your impression, not a fact or an objective assessment.

A teacher can use skillful ways that would appear ridiculous to others. Yet, he might probably be doing it so it can be of benefit to people who wouldn't be benefited from Buddhism with a different presentation.
shel

Post by shel »

flavio81 wrote:
That is your impression, not a fact or an objective assessment.
On the contrary, people are often just what they appear to be. The fact that the obvious is so often overlooked is disturbing.
A teacher can use skillful ways that would appear ridiculous to others. Yet, he might probably be doing it so it can be of benefit to people who wouldn't be benefited from Buddhism with a different presentation.
So it's all in the presentation, aye? Since when does the truth require smoke and mirrors?
justsit

Post by justsit »

shel wrote:
So it's all in the presentation, aye? Since when does the truth require smoke and mirrors?
So there's only one way to present truth??
shel

Post by shel »

justsit wrote:
shel wrote:
So there's only one way to present truth??
No. Even Hollywood has presented truth... on occasion.

But the truth is that the concept of "expedient means" has been overused and abused, by followers. It's high time we started calling a spade a spade.
justsit

Post by justsit »

shel wrote: the truth is that the concept of "expedient means" has been overused and abused, by followers. It's high time we started calling a spade a spade.
Yeah, that's where the wisdom part comes in. :smile:
shel

Post by shel »

justsit wrote:
shel wrote: the truth is that the concept of "expedient means" has been overused and abused, by followers. It's high time we started calling a spade a spade.
Yeah, that's where the wisdom part comes in. :smile:
Unfortunately wisdom is a rare commodity in any group, religious or otherwise, so the concern appears to be valid. :emb:
greentara

Post by greentara »

Shell, "So it's all in the presentation, aye? Since when does the truth require smoke and mirrors?" Thanks, couldn't agree more.
flavio81

Post by flavio81 »

shel wrote: But the truth is that the concept of "expedient means" has been overused and abused, by followers. It's high time we started calling a spade a spade.
Well, if you like "calling a spade a spade" and establishing how "the truth" should be presented, then you will like Fundamentalist Christian Evangelism more than Buddhism.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Well, it could be pride, a love for glamor, or a reminder of the lineage and to glorify the teachings (Pope Benedict style).
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats

Return to “Creative Writing”