Gyaltsen Tashi

13 Precious Drikung Kagyu Empowerments

Post by Gyaltsen Tashi »

From

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73yi0_DG3hk

13 Precious Drikung Kagyu Empowerments
ShaktipatSeer2·612 videos

Buddha Shakyamuni & Avalokiteshvara Empowerment:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/32607819 (Click show more)

Manjushri & Mahakala Empowerments:
1st vid: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/32614783
2nd vid: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/32614783

Medicine Buddha & Padmasambhava Empowerments:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/32651547

Vajrapani Empowerment:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/32659159

Achi Chokyi Drolma Empowerment:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/32662533

White Tara & Green Tara Empowerments:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/32694075

Red Kurukulle Empowerment:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/32702211

Vajrasattva Empowerment:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/32706293

Amitabha Empowerment:
1st vid:http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/32737547
2nd vid: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/32742909

Vajrakilaya Empowerment:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/26843451

H.E. Garchen Rinpoche's Teachings on How to
Receive an Empowerment Online:

The touching of the vase to the crown of the head is the outer empowerment. The inner empowerment is to visualize yourself as the deity. The real empowerment is to realize the nature of your mind.

When you cultivate bodhicitta, that is the real deity, and when you do this, that is when you actually receive the empowerment over the internet.

If you live near the temple and think, "Oh, I don't need to go to the temple; I can just receive the empowerment over the internet," that is not the right motivation. If you have the opportunity to come to the temple, then you should come.If you don't live nearby and cannot come, but with all your heart would like to, that is the right motivation for receiving the empowerment over the internet.

Whoever has faith and devotion will receive the empowerment regardless of where they are, because the dharmakaya pervades like space. Even if you come to the temple to receive an empowerment, if you have no devotion you still will not receive it.

To quote Lord Jigten Sumgon, "You receive the empowerment only when you understand the meaning of the empowerment."

Much thanks to HE Garchen Rinpoche, and if you appreciate the service he's done please send a donation: http://www.garchen.net/GBI-Shop/index...
heart

Re: 13 Precious Drikung Kagyu Empowerments

Post by heart »

I really think you have to watch this live if you really want the empowerment. Recordings are no good.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

That specific question was asked to Garchen Rinpoche through the live chat on ustream. His answer was 'yes' you can receive empowerment from his recorded empowerments online.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Lhasa wrote:That specific question was asked to Garchen Rinpoche through the live chat on ustream. His answer was 'yes' you can receive empowerment from his recorded empowerments online.
If you have faith.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

heart wrote:I really think you have to watch this live if you really want the empowerment. Recordings are no good.

/magnus
Magnus is right, the dharmakaya only pervades everything during the empowerment. The rest of the time you are SOL.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Karma Dorje wrote:
heart wrote:I really think you have to watch this live if you really want the empowerment. Recordings are no good.

/magnus
Magnus is right, the dharmakaya only pervades everything during the empowerment. The rest of the time you are SOL.
If people have faith in this, then fine. I don't personally believe one can receive a valid empowerment though a recording. But that is just me following the advice of my guru. Your mileage might vary.

M
heart

Post by heart »

Lhasa wrote:That specific question was asked to Garchen Rinpoche through the live chat on ustream. His answer was 'yes' you can receive empowerment from his recorded empowerments online.
I seriously doubt that, perhaps he didn't understand the question. However, I have heard him say that receiving it by the way of livestream is valid.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

Karma Dorje wrote:

/magnus

and how does not the dharmakaya pervade everything if its not empowerment. dharmakaya pervades everything period.

and what is SOL.

I read in the bardo guidebook by Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche that if you dont generate realization during the empowerment, you dont receive the empowerment. you just receive the blessing of having participated in the empowerment. and i think this is a common misunderstanding among westerners that what empowerment actually is. people just think that if the vase or torma touches your head you receive the empowerment. i think that way you only get permission to practice the deity if you get the lung with it, connection to the deity and the guru. but no empowerment. you dont receive the blessing and the realization that the guru is offering you. i think you will receive as much as you are open and receptive. and from my point of view, dharmakaya pervades everything and transcends time so recording or not its the same. and sometimes when i listen to a recording of something its like God is directly talking to me, so i defenitely think and believe that there are blessings and empowerments in the recordings, allthough it is not the same as receiving empowerment live in the gompa or through livestream.

but if Garchen Rinpoche says you can receive the empowerment through the recordings i would believe him, and this is the second thread i have come across someone saying you can receive them through recordings. i think its mostly up to you if you are open to receive the empowerment or not.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

:good:
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

KonchokZoepa wrote:
Karma Dorje wrote: Magnus is right, the dharmakaya only pervades everything during the empowerment. The rest of the time you are SOL.
and how does not the dharmakaya pervade everything if its not empowerment. dharmakaya pervades everything period.

and what is SOL.
Good Lord, did I really need <snark> tags on that comment?
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

what are snark tags ?
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

heart

Post by heart »

KonchokZoepa wrote: but if Garchen Rinpoche says you can receive the empowerment through the recordings i would believe him, and this is the second thread i have come across someone saying you can receive them through recordings. i think its mostly up to you if you are open to receive the empowerment or not.
Then why watch the recording, you could just pick up any empowerment you want at any time, no? Good luck with that! :smile:

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

i think you ignored that quote and did not really read it. or want to hear it.
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

heart

Post by heart »

KonchokZoepa wrote:i think you ignored that quote and did not really read it. or want to hear it.
No, the only quote by Garchen Rinpoche in this thread is not talking about recordings. I have taken several empowerment's from Garchen Rinpoche in live webcasts and the quote above corresponds to what he said in those teachings. He wasn't talking about recordings, he was talking about live streaming.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

Gyaltsen Tashi wrote: H.E. Garchen Rinpoche's Teachings on How to

The touching of the vase to the crown of the head is the outer empowerment. The inner empowerment is to visualize yourself as the deity. The real empowerment is to realize the nature of your mind.

When you cultivate bodhicitta, that is the real deity, and when you do this, that is when you actually receive the empowerment over the internet.

If you live near the temple and think, "Oh, I don't need to go to the temple; I can just receive the empowerment over the internet," that is not the right motivation. If you have the opportunity to come to the temple, then you should come.If you don't live nearby and cannot come, but with all your heart would like to, that is the right motivation for receiving the empowerment over the internet.

Whoever has faith and devotion will receive the empowerment regardless of where they are, because the dharmakaya pervades like space. Even if you come to the temple to receive an empowerment, if you have no devotion you still will not receive it.

To quote Lord Jigten Sumgon, "You receive the empowerment only when you understand the meaning of the empowerment."

i dont think this quotes outrules recordings.
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

heart

Post by heart »

KonchokZoepa wrote:
Gyaltsen Tashi wrote: H.E. Garchen Rinpoche's Teachings on How to

i dont think this quotes outrules recordings.
It certainly doesn't include them. This above is more or less what he said during one livestream I participated in. It was obvious to me he was talking about livestream and not recordings.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

I have emailed to Garchen Institute for clarification. I will post here when I get an answer.
-Padmasambhava
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

I am eager to hear the official response. This is an interesting issue that lamas have very divergent viewpoints about.
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

The answer from the Garchen Institute is unambiguous and as follows (emphasis added):

We were told the following by Garchen Rinpoche for empowerments that Garchen Institute has put on Ustream. The recordings can be included as well as the livestream. It is not my impression that these apply to all empowerments available online, but for the ones he’s approved. Other lamas may have different requirements and it is important to follow the instructions of the Lama giving the empowerments.
Hello Everyone,

We have received several inquiries asking if one actually receives the empowerment if done by streaming, and following is Rinpoche’s reply:

“The touching of the vase to the crown of the head is the outer empowerment. The inner empowerment is to visualize yourself as the deity. The real empowerment is to realize the nature of your mind.
“When you cultivate bodhicitta, that is the real deity, and when you do this, that is when you actually receive the empowerment over the internet.
“If you live near the temple and think, ‘Oh, I don’t need to go to the temple; I can just receive the empowerment over the internet,’ that is not the right motivation. If you have the opportunity to come to the temple, then you should come.

“If you don't live nearby and cannot come, but with all your heart would like to, that is the right motivation for receiving the empowerment over the internet.”

May all be auspicious!
-Padmasambhava
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

Thank you, Karma Dorje. :namaste:

Return to “Kagyu”