Passing of Karma Chagme Rinpoche

Palzang Jangchub

Passing of Karma Chagme Rinpoche

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

At 11:00 a.m., India time, the glorious Mahasiddha and incarnate Bodhisattva whose name is difficult to utter---known simply as His Holiness the 7th Karma Chagme Rinpoche---passed into parinirvana. No news yet on the scheduled events regarding when he will exit thukdam, what exactly will be done with his kudung, and which practices his students will be asked to accumulate. If I hear anything, I'll update everyone here.

I, for one, am feeling a mixture of sadness and joy. It was my sincere aspiration to meet Chagme Rinpoche in this life and request whatever wang, lung, and tri he was willing to give when I intend to visit Nepal next fall. I have a friend who sometimes translates for the abbot of his gompa who was going to introduce us...

On the one hand, it saddens me greatly that this will not come to pass. I also wonder if this has anything to do with a lack of merit. We have lost a truly great being from this world, and perhaps have failed at beseeching him to delay his parinirvana.

On the other hand, this is a skillful display of impermanence and the sufferings of Samsara. It is a lesson in how all of us will eventually face death... How we should give up attachment to this life and strive to earnestly practice; do our damnedest to practice throughout the day and night. I, for one, am inspired.

Lastly, I would like to ask a question of the more learned practitioners and those who were closer to Chagme Rinpoche is this life than I: is there a guru yoga or gurusadhana of Karma Chagme, and if so, where can one find it?

And what's the precedent for someone to compose a swift rebirth prayer for their guru? Karma Chagme has been a consistent presence in all the lineages I've come in contact with and practice. There's no doubt in my mind that I have a special connection to him...

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Palzang Jangchub

Re: Passing of Karma Chagme Rinpoche

While it's not official, I've heard from a few students and other reliable sources that practicing the Namchö guru yoga, accumulating Vajrasattva, and reciting Calling the Lama from Afar would all be beneficial.

It will be interesting to see who composes Swift Rebirth prayers for Rinpoche. Undoubtedly Gyalwang Karmapa will compose one, and I'm sure Chagme's heart students will request prayers if not compose them. HH Karma Kuchen Rinpoche---the 12th Palyul throneholder---will likely compose something as well.

Maybe some of us should make some earnest requests?

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

mgrissom

Post by mgrissom »

We've lost too many great Nyingma masters of late. May he return to us soon.
Palzang Jangchub

mgrissom wrote:We've lost too many great Nyingma masters of late. May he return to us soon.
It's happening across the board in all the schools. I think it has more to due with the age group. Those born in Tibet prior to going into exile following the Dalai Lama in '59 are passing away. There are, however, a few bastions of hope still out there, like Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche (90), His Holiness the Dalai Lama (78), and His Eminence Garchen Rinpoche (76)---all of whom show no signs of slowing down and seem to be in remarkably good health.

Now is the time for the young teachers---be they geshes, khenpos, rinpoches, tulkus, or simply exceptional practitioners---to learn all they can from the last vanguard of pre-Chinese occupied Tibet, and begin to teach under their guidance. Let's see how the Yangsi's do.

:popcorn:

On our end, we need to pray for the unobstructed activities of our living lamas in teaching and transmitting the authentic Dharma. We also should pray for our masters' swift rebirths and that their reincarnations are found.

/ :soapbox:

Palzang Jangchub

Karma Jinpa wrote:No news yet on the scheduled events regarding when he will exit thukdam, what exactly will be done with his kudung, and which practices his students will be asked to accumulate. If I hear anything, I'll update everyone here.
Just heard from Lama Repa Dorje Odzer, a direct student ordained by His Eminence Goshir Gyaltsab Rinpoche...

He says that before Chagme Rinpoche passed away in Delhi, His Holiness the 17th Gyalwang Karmapa was able to visit him at the hospital. Rinpoche remains in thukdam (meditation upon death).

This is very heartening news, in my humble opinion. That HHK17 was allowed to travel on such short notice is a positive sign in and of itself regarding the Indian gov't. Even if Karmapa was already planning on being in the area at the time, it speaks to the special connection between those two that they were able to see each other one last time.

May Rinpoche reamin in thukdam for as long as he can, and may all beings benefit from what results!

_/ <3 \_

TSAWA'I LAMA KHYENNO!!!

P.S. More about Repa Dorje Odzer and his activities here: http://www.goshir.org/ & here: http://ganachakra.com/about/

Palzang Jangchub

From the official Kagyu Office website:

Gyalwang Karmapa Prays after the Parinirvana of Chagme Rinpoche

"Within hours of Chagme Rinpoche’s entering into thugdam meditation, the Gyalwang Karmapa went to his side to preside over the customary rituals. While there, he spent time making powerful mönlam prayers seated beside Chagme Rinpoche, who remained in a state of thugdam meditation."

http://kagyuoffice.org/gyalwang-karmapa ... -rinpoche/

:consoling:

Karma N. Gyamtso

Post by Karma N. Gyamtso »

Karma Jimpa, nice to see your post's about this great Master..i was lucky to meet him,and stays in his monastery, in his field of power for few months..he was,extraordinary indeep, so modest but when you was meeting him,you knew it,its just the coverof smthng extraordinary....... i was in Nepal,just few days after he went to Delhi hospital... well.. this kind of level Bodhisattvas, works in misteriouse ways...his son, and spiritual hair, minde,body and speach son, H.E. Sangtrul Rinpoche, is now holder of Neydo tradition, mostly staying in Kathmandu.. same minde,same energy as H.H. Karma Chagme..great Lama,nice person..well, all instructions and transmisions he haves from H.H. Karma Chagme..so still you can receive it in Nepal or maybe at Orissa.. did you have read "THE QUINTESENCE OF THE UNION OF MAHAMUDRA AND DZOKCHEN" ?
Palzang Jangchub

Karma N. Gyamtso wrote:Karma Jimpa, nice to see your post's about this great Master..i was lucky to meet him,and stays in his monastery, in his field of power for few months..he was,extraordinary indeep, so modest but when you was meeting him,you knew it,its just the coverof smthng extraordinary....... i was in Nepal,just few days after he went to Delhi hospital... well.. this kind of level Bodhisattvas, works in misteriouse ways...his son, and spiritual hair, minde,body and speach son, H.E. Sangtrul Rinpoche, is now holder of Neydo tradition, mostly staying in Kathmandu.. same minde,same energy as H.H. Karma Chagme..great Lama,nice person..well, all instructions and transmisions he haves from H.H. Karma Chagme..so still you can receive it in Nepal or maybe at Orissa.. did you have read "THE QUINTESENCE OF THE UNION OF MAHAMUDRA AND DZOKCHEN" ?
I'm very glad to hear you were fortunate enough to spend time with such an extraordinary, noble being. May we all be so fortunate, rejoicing in your merit in the meantime!
:twothumbsup:

I have many of Karma Chagme's texts, including 3 alternate translations of UM&D by Gyatrul Rinpoche, Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche, and Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche, but not that particular one done by Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche. It's next on my list, right after I finish Torch of Certainty and Chö: Garden of All Joy & Generosity of the Body. I absolutely love Rinpoche's commentaries on Chagme's works. Have the first 2 volumes of Mountain Dharma, and find them to be indispensable.
:reading:

Karma N. Gyamtso

Post by Karma N. Gyamtso »

Karma Jinpa wrote:
I'm very glad to hear you were fortunate enough to spend time with such an extraordinary, noble being. May we all be so fortunate, rejoicing in your merit in the meantime!
:twothumbsup:

I have many of Karma Chagme's texts, including 3 alternate translations of UM&D by Gyatrul Rinpoche, Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche, and Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche, but not that particular one done by Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche. It's next on my list, right after I finish Torch of Certainty and Chö: Garden of All Joy & Generosity of the Body. I absolutely love Rinpoche's commentaries on Chagme's works. Have the first 2 volumes of Mountain Dharma, and find them to be indispensable.
:reading:
Karma Jinpa, Karma Chagme was an representant of ultimate mind, in deeper level all realisated lamas are same, all jidams are same.. but i understund your sadness, dnt think about lack of merrit, maybe you have other path to go just.. i also went to Nepal,to meet him in september,he was already in Delhi hospital..the real miracle, is to practice and achive own buddahood, even Karma Chagme cannot do it for you, with all his skills, all his extraordinary teachings... its great to see your devotion, and realy you should meet his son, Sangtrul Rinpoche.. you want be desapointed :) he speaks english, quite ok, his wife speaks it great.. i hevent been in Orissa monastery, but Pharping(Nepal)one,is like pure land..you step in, then you have no mood to go out, whole Pharping area is great and full of blessings...
Palzang Jangchub

Update:

Chagme Rinpoche has exited thugdam. His kudung will be brought to his seat in Pharping, Nepal by October 9th.

More photos of NTC here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 318&type=3

&

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 263&type=1

Palzang Jangchub

Karma Chakme Rinpoche, the head of the Neydo Kagyu lineage, was also one of the most senior lamas of the Karma Kamtsang lineage. He had great humility and was interested only in the Dharma. Thus I am deeply sorrowed that he has recently passed away, and I would like to offer my condolences to his family members, his monasteries and followers. The Chakme Ladrang has asked me to recognize his reincarnation, so I shall do all I can in that regard.

At this time, there is no need to worry: the lama’s mind is never separate from the students, so you should recall the lama’s qualities and practice as best you can. This is most important.
http://kagyuoffice.org/condolence-messa ... -rinpoche/

Palzang Jangchub

Karma Jinpa wrote:While it's not official, I've heard from a few students and other reliable sources that practicing the Namchö guru yoga, accumulating Vajrasattva, and reciting Calling the Lama from Afar would all be beneficial.
I've since heard from Lama Karma Chötsö that it is traditional to do the Vajrasattva 100-syllable mantra an extra 111,111 times when a great master passes away. This is what she and the other 3 year retreatants did when Kalu Rinpoche went into parinirvana.

Perhaps if anyone is doing the Vajrasattva section of ngondro, or if he is their yidam, they could do this.

Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Kundung arrived at Neydo, not sure what will happen though. Apparently Chatral Rinpoche, who has some elderly Lamas living there, has advised that it either be cremated soon or stay for a year.
"It's not ok to practice Dharma sometimes, just when you feel like it. You have to practice all the time" - Lama Rigzin Rinpoche.
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Pujas are going well and the kudung will be cremated soon.
"It's not ok to practice Dharma sometimes, just when you feel like it. You have to practice all the time" - Lama Rigzin Rinpoche.
Palzang Jangchub

Glyn, do you mind if I ask where you're info is coming from?

Simply curious, since I didn't see anything posted on the Neydo website of late, and all my info has been coming from friends in India & Nepal, or with access to such people.

Is there an official source for info about the pujas and such regarding Chagme Rinpoche's cremation? :shrug:

Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Karma Jinpa wrote:Glyn, do you mind if I ask where you're info is coming from?
I have friends currently at Neydo.
you're
Your.
Palzang Jangchub

From Lama Norbu Repa via Facebook:
Within the sky-expanse, the Compassion of Amitabha,

rises the sun-mandala, powerful Avalokiteshvara,

Radiating Light of Padmasambhava's mind,

to completely dispel the dark ignorance of beings.

At the feet of Nedo Karma Chagmed, we pay homage.

Unequalled Guru adorned with the letter ,

although you never departed, show again quickly

your compassionate magnificent embodiment

for the sake of all.

These words came naturally to my mind as a prayer to RInpoche, whom I was blessed to meet in Parping, some 32 years ago.

Palzang Jangchub

Glyn wrote:I have friends currently at Neydo.
Are any of your friends at Neydo privy to swift rebirth prayers composed by Gyalwang Karmapa, Neydo Sangtrul Rinpoche, et al.?

Has the kudung been cremated already, as per Kyabje Chatral Rinpoche's recommendation? Or will Rinpoche be mummified for the year to allow students to make pilgrimage and be in the presence of the kudung?

Glyn

Post by Glyn »

I've not had any news about it, but have a gut feeling the cremation will be within a month.
Palzang Jangchub

What about the swift return prayer for Chagme Rinpoche? Can't find it on any of the official sites, nor thru Facebook. :shrug:

Actually, when I Googled the prayer, this thread was the top result. There isn't even mention of Chagme Rinpoche's passing on the Neydo website.

Guess the immediate concerns of the pujas, cremation and such have taken priority over keeping the international students in the loop. Understandable.

Return to “Kagyu”