Becomeing a buddhist monk in china

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Alfredo

Re: Becomeing a buddhist monk in china

Post by Alfredo »

A fair number of foreigners do have permanent residency. However, if you just write your embassy saying" I want to live in China for ever, pls give me permanent residency" they're going to laugh at you. There's a process for applying for it, which involves (for example) getting approval from Public Security.

Do you realize that religious groups in China are controlled by the government? You're not going to find Shangri-La, and it's not going to be like Kung Fu Panda. I'm not saying don't go, but you need to have a clearer idea of what you are likely to find over there. Have you read the Lonely Planet guidebook on China? That will give a lot of practical information on how to travel, where to stay, etc. (but only a little on religion).

The City of Ten Thousand Buddhas is a good suggestion. They have something called Dharma Realm Buddhist University. I'm afraid I have confused it with the University of the West, which is a different Chinese Buddhist university in California.

Anyway, you are getting a lot of good advice here. If you want to be a monk, you need to be willing to study and work hard. And you will need to do the same things to be able to live in China. Remember--even as a monk, you will still have to decide what to do with your life. What kind of monk do you want to be--a scholar? (Then you will have to study Buddhism.) A temple administrator? (Then you need basic business skills, like accounting.) A cook? (Then learn how to cook.) You need mentors--elder monks who can show you the way, and you can find those in the USA.

At the end of the day, words are cheap--what concrete steps are you willing to take to make your dream possible? Because you won't get to China just by wishing for it.
(no longer participating on this board)
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

Well said, Alfredo.
If I may ask -- are you based in Taiwan?

~~ Huifeng
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

I went there in the late 1980's, and have some connections there. Why, are you there? (Indrajala is.)
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Alfredo wrote:I went there in the late 1980's, and have some connections there. Why, are you there? (Indrajala is.)
No, I'm in Nepal right now. :smile:
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

Sorry--my mistake. Nepal kasto cha?
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

Alfredo wrote:I went there in the late 1980's, and have some connections there. Why, are you there? (Indrajala is.)
Okay. Presently out back of Ilan on the mountain slopes of Fo Guang Uni.
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

Huifeng^ is ur location taiwan if so are there beautiful temples there?
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

tiger,

you need the money to travel to China, so save up now. I support you dawg. Don't forget to pray to Buddha for your wish to be fulfilled.
It’s eye blinking.
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

How do i pray to Buddha?
plwk

Post by plwk »

...and becouse im also a scientist buddhism is a scientific religion science is the killer of religion but not of the religion buddhism
Remember this? From another one of your threads on your parents?
Now, why would someone who claims he's a 'scientist buddhism' 'pray'?
Do you think that a Buddha is some god or thing to pray to?
I thought you understood Buddhism in a 'scientific' way... or do you?
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

Buddhism is a scientific religion the only religion if not only best religion that goes with science so everyone in buddhism is a scientist science and buddhism is the same coin what Albert Einstein said about buddhism link http://www.buddhism-and-the-american-dream.com/?p=519
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Can I ask, do you want to go to China because of kung fu? You seem to have a lot of Chinese martial arts videos on your Youtube channel.

Gassho,
Seishin
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

Yea im also a martial artist i know a little martial arts but also like the country culture temples
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

To my knowledge Shaolin is the only place that teach kung fu along side Buddhism. Is that what you were thinking?
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

No the real shaolin monks dont exist any more but the shaolin temple does the shaolin temple in henan china is nothing but fake monks its just a bissness the temple is not like it used to be say 60 years ago the monks there get paid and all they do is practive wushu which 60 years ago they would practice real kung fu but some shaolin kung martial arts have survived like martial arts like wing chun
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

I'm just wondering how much of China do you know? Movies, pictures and books can make it look a lot different to it's actuality. I applaud your aspirations to become a monk, but I'm thinking you are making the decision based on a false perception of what you think China is like and what you think being a monk is like.

Gassho
Qing Tian

Post by Qing Tian »

Umm.... okay, just to clarify. The Shaolin temple mythology is just that, mythology. It has been thoroughly researched and debunked. A simple internet search will reveal the facts.

Secondly, both nèijiāquán (internal arts) and wàijiāquán (external arts) require gong fu (kung fu), as does any sphere of endeavour that requires hard work to acquire skill. However, wushu is the more correct general term for martial arts.

@tigerh98, people here are trying to help smooth your way. They are not attacking you, or trying to stop you from following your dreams. A little realism is in order. You are 16 years old. China can be a difficult place for seasoned adult travellers. It is especially an unforgiving place for foreigners who make mistakes. Take the advice in the spirit it is intended. Do tons of background research. Learn the language a little - you will need it: in the temples that I have visited English is not spoken at all. Try to understand the Chinese approach to life, work and family. This is really important. Do not bring an American attitude - you will find yourself on the plane home faster than you can say Jackie Chan.

China is hard work. Ultimately it can be very rewarding. Personally I love it, but it has taken me a while to settle in. My home temple is Longhua in Shanghai - LINKY! even though it is not that close to our home.

If you do your homework you will have the adventure of your life! If not... well, it can be a crushing place.
“Not till your thoughts cease all their branching here and there, not till you abandon all thoughts of seeking for something, not till your mind is motionless as wood or stone, will you be on the right road to the Gate.”
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

I would add: Do you feel that people just don't understand you? Do you hate the petty games that they play? Is your life full of hassles? Well, just wait 'til you get to China--it'll be a hundred times worse, I promise you.

Is Taiwan any better? Well, a lot better than China, but you'll still have plenty of hoops to jump through, and people are much the same everywhere. And Nepal...? Well, you get the idea.
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

Aww u guys didnt feel me long time ago -_- if im going become a monk in another country its going be taiwan! They speak mandarin which if i live there or not ima still try to learn mandarin chinese ps. I know english and spanish
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

Tiger you remind me of this guy Light Samurai who used to post on e-sangha.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”