Sculpting Buddha

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
TheSpirit

Sculpting Buddha

Post by TheSpirit »

I wanted to make a Butsudan but didn't exactly find the statue I like. (please feel free to judge me on my shallow attachment :smile: ) So I set out to sculpt one myself. It is inspired by Gandhara style. It was fun and meaningful experience for me to sculpt the Nyorai. It is abit non-traditional looking but I think I am happy with it. Anyway I just want to share him with everyone. Enjoy and feel free to let me know what you think :)

“To be fully alive is to have an aesthetic perception of life because a major part of the world's goodness lies in its often unspeakable beauty.”
― Yukitaka Yamamoto
lobster

Re: Sculpting Buddha

Post by lobster »

Wow.

:thumbsup:

Wonderful.
I would have left the halo off, other than that, wonderful effort.
. . . mind you I could not even sculpt a halo . . . mine would be more like a doughnut.

Hope you do and share more :thumbsup:
TheSpirit

Post by TheSpirit »

Thank you Lobster! The halo is fortunately only taped on because I wasn't sure if I like it. I agree with you though that I probably should take it off :). Thank you for your kind and honest comment!
“To be fully alive is to have an aesthetic perception of life because a major part of the world's goodness lies in its often unspeakable beauty.”
― Yukitaka Yamamoto
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

Good work! The neck and collarbones look especially well done.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

His physique reminds me of Fudo Myo-o. Maybe some flames behind him might look nice. Wonderful sculpting by the way :smile:

Gassho,
Seishin
TheSpirit

Post by TheSpirit »

Thank you for the comments!
Seishin wrote:His physique reminds me of Fudo Myo-o. Maybe some flames behind him might look nice. Wonderful sculpting by the way :smile:

Gassho,
Seishin
I might just sculpt Fudo Myo-o next, well after Kannon Bosatsu (though my Kannon looks nothing traditional). Definitely will be a greater challenge sculpting Fudo Myo-o but it would definitely be a wonderful experience I am sure as it had been with lord Shaka.
― Yukitaka Yamamoto
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Dude, those are some mad sculpting skills! Maybe you should consider doing modern Gandharan versions of Buddhrupas full-time.

:twothumbsup:

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
TheSpirit

Post by TheSpirit »

Karma Jinpa wrote:Dude, those are some mad sculpting skills! Maybe you should consider doing modern Gandharan versions of Buddhrupas full-time.

:twothumbsup:
Thank you Karma Jinpa! Those are very inspirational words for me. I really do like Gandhara style Buddha. I thought of sculpting more Bodhisattvas in Gandhara-inspired style of course with a touch of my own. Maybe one of these days when I am better I can sculpt to sell lol.
― Yukitaka Yamamoto
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

As a former Classicist (i.e. a student of Greco-Roman culture and languages), I have a certain fondness for the Gandharan style.

What many people perhaps don't know is that without Gandharan Buddhism, scholarship indicates the Mahayana would likely not have survived and thrived.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
TheSpirit

Post by TheSpirit »

Karma Jinpa wrote:As a former Classicist (i.e. a student of Greco-Roman culture and languages), I have a certain fondness for the Gandharan style.

What many people perhaps don't know is that without Gandharan Buddhism, scholarship indicates the Mahayana would likely not have survived and thrived.
I did not know that but I don't doubt it. I know the practice of using statue as the point of veneration started with Gandhara. Prior to that Buddhists use more symbolic symbol like a foot print of the Buddha. I can see how Greco-Buddhism is short lived but profoundly revolutionized Buddhism. Previously as an art student, I just like Gandhara for its realistic look and also have a love for Greeks art as well.
― Yukitaka Yamamoto
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Wow, really nice job.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
montana

Post by montana »

Criticism of Buddha statues is discouraged. But I don't think anyone would find fault in this one. :)
TheSpirit

Post by TheSpirit »

I really appreciate all the encouraging words. Thank you. :smile:
― Yukitaka Yamamoto

Return to “Media”