World Chess Championship 2013

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
DNS
Site Admin

World Chess Championship 2013

Post by DNS »

Last year World Champion Viswanathan Anand of India defended his title by winning against Boris Gelfand of Israel. He has been world champion for about 8 years now.

Usually world championship matches are about 2 to 4 years apart, but fortunately we get to see another match after only one year this time. And it is a dream match-up. The great Anand vs. another chess prodigy and genius, Magnus Carlsen of Norway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Che ... nship_2013

The match goes from November 9 to November 28 and it is being held in ("Mother") India (in Chennai).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Che ... nship_2013

Last year I was hoping for a match like this. It could be one of the best match-ups ever. The only better one, which never materialized would have been Fischer vs. Kasparov (Fischer deceased in 2008).

Carlsen is only 22 years old and holds the highest chess elo rating ever, at 2870.

Here is last year's thread on the 2012 championship:
http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8370
plwk

Re: World Chess Championship 2013

Post by plwk »

Magnus Carlsen :thumbsup:
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

plwk wrote:Magnus Carlsen :thumbsup:
Not this time - Anand again.

I cannot play a lick, so only because I founded a high school chess club do I pretend to follow these bright lads.

I would like David or some chess junkie to compare & contrast Anand & Carlsen - not to each other - but to historical great players. Will either of them be put in the pantheon of the greatest players?
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Two people on the list of "The 10 Smartest People Alive" are chess grandmasters / champions:

Gary Kasparov: I.Q. = 190
Judit Polgar: I.Q. = 170

http://www.superscholar.org/smartest-people/
Qing Tian

Post by Qing Tian »

I was once a member of MENSA with a reputed IQ above that of Stephen Hawking. After the initial excitement had abated I realised that the only thing the IQ test measures is one's ability to do IQ tests. Often those who have a gift for this type of puzzle-solving are as stupid as stumps in lots of other areas essential to daily living - and I am one of those! Mind you, my ability to do these tests has waned with the passing of the years.

Anywho, chess. There have been many attempts to compare players from different eras in the quest for the Holy Grail of 'Greatest Ever'. All have been full of holes, and none have produced a satisfactory answer. Largely this is due to the fact that later Grandmasters are building on the knowledge base of their predecessors. Take Gary Kasparov back to 1920 (for instance), strip him of all post-1920 theory and see how he gets on against Emmanuel Lasker. The outcome? Who can say.

As an avid and competetively active player for over 15 years in my youth I have taken (naturally) a keen interest in the greats of past and present. Strangely enough, toward the end of my active period I found myself in total agreement with the sentiment of Russian Grandmaster David Bronstein. He delighted in the sheer beauty of the game, often giving scant regard to the result, and was equally attracted to a promising attack or a tempting defence (his words, paraphrased). Unfortunately the competitive arena is geared toward results and not creativity and thus often produces Masters of pragmatism who - from the spectator's perspective - provide less of a spectacle than hoped for (15 move sterile draws anyone?).

Over the years many, many times I have been left breathless by the giants of the 64 squares. From the delicate exacting endgames of Botvinnik and Smyslov, to the attacking genius of Tal and Kasparov and the purity of expression of Bobby Fischer.

Roll on the WCC!
“Not till your thoughts cease all their branching here and there, not till you abandon all thoughts of seeking for something, not till your mind is motionless as wood or stone, will you be on the right road to the Gate.”
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

David,

I heard that Kasparov's IQ is not that high. More like in the 130's. Still not bad but not supergenius.

I think, and hope, Magnus will win. They have never played in a tournament against each other though and possibly Anand is the better tournament player.

Go to chess.com for more stuff on chess. Great site and very educational.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Clarence wrote:David,

I heard that Kasparov's IQ is not that high. More like in the 130's. Still not bad but not supergenius.

I think, and hope, Magnus will win. They have never played in a tournament against each other though and possibly Anand is the better tournament player.

According to chessbase they have played with these results:
Anand and Carlsen have played each other 29 times at Classical time controls: Anand has won six times, Carlsen has won three, and the other 20 games were drawn. All of Carlsen’s wins occurred after the beginning of 2009 (by which time he’d consolidated his status as a top-10 player), with Anand winning just twice during that period. The Norwegian has won their last two encounters; their clash at the recent Tal Memorial (see pp.5-6 of the July issue) proved particularly dispiriting for the World Champion.
Nothing

Post by Nothing »

David N. Snyder wrote:....."The 10 Smartest People Alive".....
Is it not the case if someone who can escape samsara is "smarter" than these listed people?..... :thinking:
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Will wrote:
Clarence wrote:David,

According to chessbase they have played with these results:
Anand and Carlsen have played each other 29 times at Classical time controls: Anand has won six times, Carlsen has won three, and the other 20 games were drawn. All of Carlsen’s wins occurred after the beginning of 2009 (by which time he’d consolidated his status as a top-10 player), with Anand winning just twice during that period. The Norwegian has won their last two encounters; their clash at the recent Tal Memorial (see pp.5-6 of the July issue) proved particularly dispiriting for the World Champion.
Yeah, I knew they played each other. I thought they never played in a world tournament together (guess I should have been more clear. ). I read Carlsen makes moves that are so out of the ordinary others can't anticipate on them and are pretty much bound to lose. :-)
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Qing Tian wrote:He delighted in the sheer beauty of the game, often giving scant regard to the result, and was equally attracted to a promising attack or a tempting defence (his words, paraphrased).
:thumbsup:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Clarence wrote: I heard that Kasparov's IQ is not that high. More like in the 130's. Still not bad but not supergenius.

Some over at chess.com have estimated his IQ around 180-190 but not sure if that was just a guess.
Nothing wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote:....."The 10 Smartest People Alive".....
Is it not the case if someone who can escape samsara is "smarter" than these listed people?..... :thinking:
Those who escape samsara are smarter. :thumbsup:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Will wrote: I would like David or some chess junkie to compare & contrast Anand & Carlsen - not to each other - but to historical great players. Will either of them be put in the pantheon of the greatest players?
Hi Will,

I have my version of the Top 10 greatest here:

http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?tit ... f_all_time

If Carlsen wins pretty easily (I doubt it will be easily) then I would probably put Carlsen at least at the number 10 spot for now. If Anand wins, then I might move him up a little on that list.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Carlsen might be worried about getting Deli-Belly. He has brought in his own personal chef to Chennai for the match.

http://sports.ndtv.com/othersports/ches ... ampionship
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Game 1, Carlsen–Anand, ½–½

Carlsen aimed for a quiet position hoping for a long game where he could wear down his opponent, but he was soon forced to accept a threefold repetition ending the game in a draw after 16 moves.

Neo-Grünfeld Defence

1.Nf3 d5 2.g3 g6 3.Bg2 Bg7 4.d4 c6 5.0-0 Nf6 6.b3 0-0 7.Bb2 Bf5 8.c4 Nbd7 9.Nc3 dxc4 10.bxc4 Nb6 11.c5 Nc4 12.Bc1 Nd5 13.Qb3 Na5 14.Qa3 Nc4 15.Qb3 Na5 16.Qa3 Nc4 ½–½
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Game 2, Anand-Carlsen, ½–½

Anand opened with e4, and Carlsen chose to respond with the Caro–Kann Defence, his first time doing so in a competitive match since 2011. Anand employed a variation, with his 14th move - a queen-side castle (0-0-0). This was followed by a knight exchange in the centre, with Carlsen then advancing his queen to d5. This enabled a trade, and, to the surprise of commentators and the audience, Anand accepted the trade, rather than pressing forward with 18.Qg4. The resulting endgame was balanced; Anand exerting pressure on Carlsen's pawn shield, by placing his rooks on the kingside - forcing a repetition of moves and a draw.

Caro–Kann Defence

1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 dxe4 4.Nxe4 Bf5 5.Ng3 Bg6 6.h4 h6 7.Nf3 e6 8.Ne5 Bh7 9.Bd3 Bxd3 10.Qxd3 Nd7 11.f4 Bb4+ 12.c3 Be7 13.Bd2 Ngf6 14.O-O-O O-O 15.Ne4 Nxe4 16.Qxe4 Nxe5 17.fxe5 Qd5 18.Qxd5 cxd5 19.h5 b5 20.Rh3 a5 21.Rf1 Rac8 22.Rg3 Kh7 23.Rgf3 Kg8 24.Rg3 Kh7 25.Rgf3 Kg8 ½–½

Match score: 1-1 (two draws)
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

interesting to hear this, never heard of chess world championship. keep us updated. im interested to hear who wins :popcorn:
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
gad rgyangs

Post by gad rgyangs »

Carlsen will wipe the floor with Anand. /thread :meditate:
Thoroughly tame your own mind.
This is (possibly) the teaching of Buddha.

"I must finally conclude that this proposition, I am, I exist, is necessarily true whenever it is put forward by me or conceived in my mind."
- Descartes, 2nd Meditation 25
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

gad rgyangs wrote:Carlsen will wipe the floor with Anand. /thread :meditate:
How many games are played? So far draws do not bode well for anyone 'wiping the floor'.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Norwegian media has reported that Kasparov arrives in Chennai tomorrow, in all likelihood to give advice to Carlsen in this tournament, as a mentor.
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

I prefer Ananda.

Go Ananda! Kick on him! :D

Return to “Lounge”