Acharya Mahayogi Sridhar Rana Rinpoche

philji

Acharya Mahayogi Sridhar Rana Rinpoche

Post by philji »

Does anyone know anything about this teacher?
He is a nepali who was formally practicing Hinduism and then took to Buddhism. I believ his teachers include Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche. He speaks very stongly and clearly about the differences between hindu and buddhist dharma. i would just like to know if he is considered a legitamate teacher within the Nyingma tradition.
Malcolm

Re: Acharya Mahayogi Sridhar Rana Rinpoche

Post by Malcolm »

philji wrote:Does anyone know anything about this teacher?
He is a nepali who was formally practicing Hinduism and then took to Buddhism. I believ his teachers include Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche. He speaks very stongly and clearly about the differences between hindu and buddhist dharma. i would just like to know if he is considered a legitamate teacher within the Nyingma tradition.

He is a Sakyapa actually.
philji

Post by philji »

Sakyapa..oh I didn't realize.
elpz

Post by elpz »

Hi. Came across this quite by accident, and created an account just to reply to this.

As a student of his I can assure you that Rana Rinpoche is definitely not a Sakyapa. His first Vajrayana teacher was Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche and while he has strong links to the Sakya tradition -- given that Chobgye Trichen, Sakya Trichen, and Karma Thinley Rinpoches have been his primary teachers since his entering retreat in 96 -- he is quite firm in stating that he is non-sectarian.

Here's our sanga's website for more info on him:

http://www.byomakusuma.org

Cheers.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

elpz wrote:Hi. Came across this quite by accident, and created an account just to reply to this.

As a student of his I can assure you that Rana Rinpoche is definitely not a Sakyapa. His first Vajrayana teacher was Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche and while he has strong links to the Sakya tradition -- given that Chobgye Trichen, Sakya Trichen, and Karma Thinley Rinpoches have been his primary teachers since his entering retreat in 96 -- he is quite firm in stating that he is non-sectarian.

Here's our sanga's website for more info on him:

http://www.byomakusuma.org

Cheers.

The point is not his attitude towards schools, the point is who his main teachers are and what he mainly practices.
elpz

Post by elpz »

What does he mainly practice? And he counts Tulku Urgyen, Chokling Rinpoche, and Penor Rinpoche (among others) among his most important teachers. Like I mentioned, he has a very strong connection with the Sakya tradition, but that does not make him a Sakyapa.
Last edited by elpz on Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elpz

Post by elpz »

As a follow-up, I'd like to post this from his bio on the sanga's website for the original poster:

He initially explored Hindu Tantra under the guidance of Dhana Shamsher, his grand uncle. However, since some of his fundamental questions regarding life and enlightenment remained unanswered even after nine years of intense practice, he took up Vedantic practices under the famous 140 yr. old Khaptad Baba. Having seriously investigated and practiced all Hindu approaches available in Nepal, and still lacking fulfillment, he started seeking answers in the Buddha Dharma.

He began with Zen practices under Roshi Nanrei Kobori, Abbot of Ryoko-in of the world renowned Daitokuji of Kyoto and the Korean Master Seung Sahn through Zen Master Wu Bong (Jacob Perl). Given the difficulty of communicating with his Zen teachers from Nepal he sought qualified Buddhist masters within Nepal among the Tibetan Buddhists. He met his teacher, Venerable Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche in 1987. While still alive, Venerable Urgyen Rinpoche, who was a root teacher of the Sixteenth Karmapa, was considered by many to be one of the greatest contemporary Dzogchen masters. Venerable Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche's instructions immediately brought immense peace to Guru Ratnashree.

As instructed by Tulku Urgyen Ripoche, Guru Ratnashree then received numerous wangs (initiations) and practice instructions from various masters. He received the entire Lobshe Lamdre and a large part of the Gyude Kuntu from H.E. Chobgay Trichen Rinpoche, one of most widely respected masters of the Sakya Lineage and a tutor to His Holiness the Dalai Lama; the entire Tsog She Lamdre from H.H. Dagchen Rinpoche; the entire Rinchen Terzo from H.H. Penor Rinpoche; the entire NyingThig from the Very Venerable Urgyen Tulku Rinpoche; the entire Chokling Tersar from Chokling Rinpoche; the Dam Ngak Dzo from Thrangu Rinpoche; the entire DrubThab Kuntu from H.H. Sakya Trizin Rinpoche; the entire Khandro ThugThig and specially its Lung etc. from Khentin Rinpoche of Dolpo and many other Lung-s, Wang-s and Tri-s from Urgyen Tulku Rinpoche, the Venerable Karma Thinley Rinpoche, Chatral Rinpoche, Pawo Rinpoche, H.H. Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche and the Newar Vajracharyas of Kathmandu. He also received the entire Lung for the Gyu Bum (the entire Nyingma Tantra from) Lobpon Gyurme of Nubri.

Return to “Nyingma”