Importance of Attitude.

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
muni

Importance of Attitude.

Post by muni »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IibfZYvw-xM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdgguT1LQOw&NR=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5eUNBF8 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
5heaps

Re: Importance of Attitude.

Post by 5heaps »

so cool
Individual

Post by Individual »

Horrible, hahaha.

For the sake of harmony, can't say anymore. :)
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Individual wrote:Horrible, hahaha.

Let's put harmony at risk for a moment. Just what, specifically, do you find horrible about the teachings presented in those videos? Where is your objection, and on what grounds?
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

Jikan wrote:

Let's put harmony at risk for a moment. Just what, specifically, do you find horrible about the teachings presented in those videos? Where is your objection, and on what grounds?
I'm also curious.....
Individual

Post by Individual »

Tilopa wrote:
Jikan wrote:

I'm also curious.....
The teachings are fine. I don't like the teacher. Seems too much like Sarah Palin. :)
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Yeah I got to admit, sometimes I think English is a foreign language to Sarah Palin too. But hey, let's hear it for "our North Korean allies".
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
muni

Post by muni »

Jikan wrote:

Afflictions maybe? Also my first meeting with a Buddhist forum, called Buddhachat there were posts of Individual as: I hate Tibetan Buddhism and other hatred in same direction.
Shocking posts, followed by acceptable explanation or deleted.

Behind the surface of forums is the lust for power, the lust to break in completely indifferency for others honest practice. Who cares?

To see those as our sick children and love them even more is the practice of a Bodhisattva.

Just a reflection about our fellows who seek to follow the Buddha's teaching and find such.
muni

Post by muni »

We all can write beautiful texts and meanwhile act through craving, self importance, act through boasting ego. It is like eating beautiful looking food with poison.

Some words by Mipham Rinpoche:

We can unlock the seed of bodhichitta so the flower can bloom.

The attitude of the bodhisattva.

When you meet an individual who has mastered this attitude, it’s very intimidating. The bodhisattva is not holding on to any sense of self-importance, since he or she has offered this life to others—even for lifetimes to come. There’s a sense of enormous gentleness and space. This is the mind we meet when we encounter great teachers like His Holiness the Dalai Lama or Kalu Rinpoche, who gave me the bodhisattva vow under the bodhi tree at Bodhgaya.

After taking the bodhisattva vow, we may think, “Well, I’m now a bodhisattva, so I’ll just work for others.” It’s not that simple. It’s a gradual path that involves working with that part of our own mind where we’re always hanging on or hiding out. Taking the vow is our aspiration to let all that go.

How do we do it? It is said that the bodhisattva leads others like a shepherd, a ferryman, and a king. Our inspiration and intelligence are like that of a king. We lead others by example, exerting ourselves in the discipline of meditation. Our patience and fortitude is like that of a shepherd. We’re willing to be the last person through the gate of enlightenment. At the same time, we have the intention of the ferryman, generously offering our life as a vehicle for everyone else’s passage to peace. So we need to be the leader in a sense of our own practice, but at the same time, we are willing to be the last person to achieve enlightenment. And we mean to take everyone else with us. ”I am willing to work until all sentient beings have attained complete and genuine liberation.”

If you were to look inside the bodhisattva, you would find a big, courageous mind. That’s why Shantideva refers to the bodhisattva as a warrior. When we take the bodhisattva vow, we are in a sense forsaking our own life. The power of our aspiration—through innumerable lifetimes to help all sentient beings—is said to supercharge all of our other activities by infusing them with the electricity of such a noble purpose.

There are seven signs of progress on this path. Our body, speech, and mind become more gentle. We are less likely to deceive ourselves or others, because there is less and less to hide. We are more likely to respond to a situation with kindness and compassion. We begin any activity by generating compassion for all sentient beings. We find ourselves longing for the dharma. At times we are able to bear difficulty without complaint, welcoming obstacles as part of the path. We might even feel a sense of joy at having the opportunity to generate more bodhichitta. Finally, we engage in virtue.

There are many kinds of virtue. Among them are the paramitas—generosity, discipline, patience, exertion, meditation, and their binding factor, prajna. Prajna is “best knowledge,” wisdom rooted in seeing how things are: there is suffering, impermanence, and selflessness. Bodhisattva activity is prajna-infused generosity, prajna-infused discipline, prajna-infused patience, prajna-infused exertion, and prajna-infused meditation. It is not about being a doormat.
Individual

Post by Individual »

muni wrote:
Jikan wrote:

Afflictions maybe? Also my first meeting with a Buddhist forum, called Buddhachat there were posts of Individual as: I hate Tibetan Buddhism and other hatred in same direction.
Shocking posts, followed by acceptable explanation or deleted.

Behind the surface of forums is the lust for power, the lust to break in completely indifferency for others honest practice. Who cares?

To see those as our sick children and love them even more is the practice of a Bodhisattva.

Just a reflection about our fellows who seek to follow the Buddha's teaching and find such.
If the shocking posts were followed by an acceptable explanation or deleted, it sounds like everything was skillful? Nothing bad ever remained without justification. :)

Anyway, I like this video more than the one in the OP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNw5luDaYcE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I see it, it's the same thing: the importance of right attitude, or one aspect of it anyway. :)

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”