How to Realize Emptiness in Daily Life?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

How to Realize Emptiness in Daily Life?

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

HOW TO PRACTISE?

To realise emptiness, externally we need a qualified teacher, and internally we need enough merit (or karma), purification, practice of ethics, keeping our vows and generating single-pointed concentration.
In the Tibetan tradition: first one tries to intellectually understand it, then later the realisation can ripen in the well-prepared field of our mind.
It is advised to analyse the "I" first, and then later one analyses other phenomena in the same way, for example using the "fourfold analysis":
1. Identify object of negation: inherently existent "I"
2. Determine possibilities of how the "I" exists: is it the body, the mind, both or different? (We can say, "I have have a body and a mind", which would indicate that the "I" is something different from the body and the mind, but is that possible?)
3. Is the "I" same as body and/or mind?
4. Is the "I" other than body and mind?
"While you are meditating there is an "I" (representing the Self) which appears to exist from its own side. Right on top of that think, 'the I is merely labelled'. Just meditate on the meaning of the I being merely labelled. I is a name; a name does not exist from its own side, a name is given, imputed by the mind. We can completely agree with that. This I is merely labelled; concentrate on just that. Try to feel that. This automatically eliminates eternalism, the view of a truly existent I."

Lama Zopa Rinpoche
plwk

Re: How to Realize Emptiness in Daily Life?

Post by plwk »

Use less water, recycle that paper sheet, use energy saving bulbs, when eating be grateful, forgive & forget...
ground

Post by ground »

Ngawang Drolma wrote: It is advised to analyse the "I" first, and then later one analyses other phenomena in the same way, for example using the "fourfold analysis":
1. Identify object of negation: inherently existent "I"
2. Determine possibilities of how the "I" exists: is it the body, the mind, both or different? (We can say, "I have have a body and a mind", which would indicate that the "I" is something different from the body and the mind, but is that possible?)
3. Is the "I" same as body and/or mind?
4. Is the "I" other than body and mind?
"While you are meditating there is an "I" (representing the Self) which appears to exist from its own side. Right on top of that think, 'the I is merely labelled'. Just meditate on the meaning of the I being merely labelled. I is a name; a name does not exist from its own side, a name is given, imputed by the mind. We can completely agree with that. This I is merely labelled; concentrate on just that. Try to feel that. This automatically eliminates eternalism, the view of a truly existent I."

Lama Zopa Rinpoche
An alternative may be the pith instructions given by the Buddha.
The Buddha completely negates the "I" through uncovering how it is: There are only the aggregates.
So the Buddha uses an affirming negation: No "I" at all but only aggregates. The later can be directly perceived and discerned through meditation whereas the "I" is thought only and is completely unfindable.
If seen from this perspective Lama Zopa Rinpoche advice raises the question: "How can an 'inherently existent "I"' be identified if even no 'mere I' can be found"? To answer I guess one needs additional advice from a teacher experienced in Lama Zopa's approach.

If no teacher is available then one should try for oneself what approach works better ... after having generated bodhicitta!

Kind regards
Individual

Post by Individual »

Ngawang Drolma wrote:HOW TO PRACTISE?

To realise emptiness, externally we need a qualified teacher, and internally we need enough merit (or karma)
Whereas if you don't regard things as external and internal, nothing is necessary. :)
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Individual wrote:
Ngawang Drolma wrote:HOW TO PRACTISE?

To realise emptiness, externally we need a qualified teacher, and internally we need enough merit (or karma)
Whereas if you don't regard things as external and internal, nothing is necessary. :)
Yeah but the strong tendency toward dualism nonetheless arises.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

TMingyur wrote: If no teacher is available then one should try for oneself what approach works better ... after having generated bodhicitta!
Kind regards
Why after? There's no fault if we meditate on emptiness before generating bodhicitta.
Individual

Post by Individual »

Tilopa wrote:
TMingyur wrote: If no teacher is available then one should try for oneself what approach works better ... after having generated bodhicitta!
Kind regards
Why after? There's no fault if we meditate on emptiness before generating bodhicitta.
Understanding emptiness without compassion or morality can lead to unstable results. Because it is an understanding that is directionless. With bodhicitta generated, the goal is clear: freedom and happiness of all beings. Without this bodhicitta, the understanding of emptiness can make one bewildered and psychotic because the world seems to be an insanely blurry haze of meaninglessly non-individuated changes and there is nothing there to keep one grounded in anything.
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

Individual wrote:
Tilopa wrote:
Kind regards
Understanding emptiness without compassion or morality can lead to unstable results. Because it is an understanding that is directionless. With bodhicitta generated, the goal is clear: freedom and happiness of all beings. Without this bodhicitta, the understanding of emptiness can make one bewildered and psychotic because the world seems to be an insanely blurry haze of meaninglessly non-individuated changes and there is nothing there to keep one grounded in anything.
This isn't correct. Arhants have meditated on emptiness and achieved Nirvana without even hearing the word bodhicitta. Also there are two types of bodhisattva - 'intelligent' ones and 'dull' ones. The former realize emptiness first then realize bodhicitta whereas for the latter it's the other way around.
ground

Post by ground »

Tilopa wrote:Arhants have meditated on emptiness and achieved Nirvana without even hearing the word bodhicitta. Also there are two types of bodhisattva - 'intelligent' ones and 'dull' ones. The former realize emptiness first then realize bodhicitta whereas for the latter it's the other way around.
That is not correct Mahayana practice, since when you realize emptiness without being conditioned by bodhicitta you will enter one of the non-Mahayana paths. You will be a streamer-enterer on the path towards arhat-hood but you won't have reached the 1st bhumi of the path towards buddha-hood.

Lama Tsongkhapa states it quite clearly:
Renunciation -> bodhicitta -> wisdom
Tilopa wrote:
Kind regards
This is what makes the difference between Mahayana and non-Mahayana.

Kind regards
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

That is not correct Mahayana practice, since when you realize emptiness without being conditioned by bodhicitta you will enter one of the non-Mahayana paths. You will be a streamer-enterer on the path towards arhat-hood but you won't have reached the 1st bhumi of the path towards buddha-hood
You can be training on the mahayana path and realize emptiness before bodhicitta. That understanding precipitates a special type of compassion which then becomes the basis for developing bodhicitta. As I said before 'intelligent' and 'dull' bodhisattvas do it slightly differently.

Although a Hearer or Solitary Realizer also understands emptiness he/she lacks bodhicitta and is not interested in cultivating it so follows a non-mahayana path leading to Nirvana.
ground

Post by ground »

Tilopa wrote:
That is not correct Mahayana practice, since when you realize emptiness without being conditioned by bodhicitta you will enter one of the non-Mahayana paths. You will be a streamer-enterer on the path towards arhat-hood but you won't have reached the 1st bhumi of the path towards buddha-hood
You can be training on the mahayana path and realize emptiness before bodhicitta.
But without bodhicitta you are not on the Mahayana path - at least according to Lama Tsongkhapa.
Tilopa wrote: Although a Hearer or Solitary Realizer also understands emptiness he/she lacks bodhicitta and is not interested in cultivating it so follows a non-mahayana path leading to Nirvana.
If they had bodhicitta they would not be Hearer or Solitary Realizer but Bodhisattvas.
Nobody doubts that Hearer or Solitary Realizer can realize emptiness. The issue was Mahayana practice.

Kind regards
Individual

Post by Individual »

People can practice bodhicitta before emptiness, realize emptiness before practicing bodhicitta, realize and practice both in tandem, or perhaps do something else entirely that's essentially the same thing.

It doesn't matter who teaches it or what it's called; if it works, everything else is irrelevant. With the realization of emptiness, there are no dull and intelligent bodhisattvas, there is no Mahayana and non-Mahayana. With bodhicitta developed, though, one does not always express it like this (or even express it at all!), to avoid causing confusion. :)
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

But without bodhicitta you are not on the Mahayana path - at least according to Lama Tsongkhapa.
Yes thats right but as discussed elsewhere http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 9&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; we can be practicing the mahayana path without having entered the mahayana path, something which only occurs with the generation of unfabricated bodhicitta. The point here is that there are two different ways of entering the path. One is by realizing bodhicitta first, the other is by realizing emptiness first.
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

Individual wrote:People can practice bodhicitta before emptiness, realize emptiness before practicing bodhicitta, realize and practice both in tandem, or perhaps do something else entirely that's essentially the same thing.
Can you provide an example of something that is entirely different but essentially the same and which acts as a cause of Buddhahood?
It doesn't matter who teaches it or what it's called; if it works, everything else is irrelevant. With the realization of emptiness, there are no dull and intelligent bodhisattvas, there is no Mahayana and non-Mahayana. With bodhicitta developed, though, one does not always express it like this (or even express it at all!), to avoid causing confusion. :)
Once again you assert that with a realization of emptiness nothing exists. So much for the 'middle way' and the teachings on conventional and ultimate reality.
Individual

Post by Individual »

Tilopa wrote: Can you provide an example of something that is entirely different but essentially the same and which acts as a cause of Buddhahood?
If I could do that, I would be a Buddha. :)

Lamas do it when they use new words and concepts. Whenever one of them pleasantly surprises you with a unique insight not found in sutras, there is your example.
Tilopa wrote:
Once again you assert that with a realization of emptiness nothing exists. So much for the 'middle way' and the teachings on conventional and ultimate reality.
I don't assert nothing exists; you assert that view and attribute it to me. For a nihilist, the view is simply "Nothing exists." My view is different: Instead I am saying that when things are clearly seen, there are no things to see; it's only when things are seen dimly and fuzzily that they take shape and distinction. You mistake my assertions of nothingness as being conventional expressions. :)
ground

Post by ground »

Tilopa wrote:
Yes thats right but as discussed elsewhere http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 9&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; we can be practicing the mahayana path without having entered the mahayana path, something which only occurs with the generation of unfabricated bodhicitta. The point here is that there are two different ways of entering the path. One is by realizing bodhicitta first, the other is by realizing emptiness first.
"practicing the mahayana path without having entered the mahayana path" is not worth any comment. The other will necessarily be entering the path of an arhat. Your interpretation necessarily leads to the decay of Mahayana.

But let's agree that we don't agree. As to interpretation of "Mahayana" and "bodhisattva" I am following exclusively Lama Tsongkhapa's teachings (which complies with Shantideva's) regardless of what others may say.

Kind regards
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

TMingyur wrote: "practicing the mahayana path without having entered the mahayana path" is not worth any comment
Study more and take teachings from qualified Lamas and you will understand the difference between them.
ground

Post by ground »

Tilopa wrote:
TMingyur wrote: "practicing the mahayana path without having entered the mahayana path" is not worth any comment
Study more and take teachings from qualified Lamas and you will understand the difference between them.
At "the end of the day" Mahayana is not a matter of study, but of direct experience which is the only valid means of cognition.
There have been compassionate teachers trying to convey their experience through verbal teachings.

Since maybe we both are focused or are trying to focus exclusively on the benefit of others we should keep just this in our minds so it may become easier to accept that we do not agree as to the a.m. issue.

Geshe Dromtönpa taught the essense of Mahayana in this way: "Renounce the world and practice bodhicitta".

Kind regards
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

TMingyur wrote:
Geshe Dromtönpa taught the essense of Mahayana in this way: "Renounce the world and practice bodhicitta".
:good:

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”