Eight Manifestations of Padmasambhava

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
padma norbu

Eight Manifestations of Padmasambhava

Post by padma norbu »

This is something I don't know very much about. I have begun reading this link...

http://www.turtlehill.org/khen/eman.html

...and am struck by the strange quote at the top:

My father is wisdom and my mother is voidness.

My country is the country of Dharma.

I am of no caste and no creed.

I am sustained by perplexity; and I am here to destroy lust, anger and sloth.

- Guru Padmasambhava

Is this an accurate translation of something familiar to anyone? "Sustained by perplexity?" What does that mean? It also seems a bit odd that he is here "to destroy lust, anger and sloth."
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Norwegian

Re: Eight Manifestations of Padmasambhava

Post by Norwegian »

Teaching from Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche on Padmasambhava:

"When the King of Uddiyana found the Lotus-Born in the middle of Dhanakosha Lake, he asked these questions of Padmasambhava:

"Wondrous youthful Son of the Lotus, who is your father? Who is your mother?" and, "To which country do you belong?" Because they were on the Indian continent, he asked, "To which caste do you belong?" Since Padmasambhava manifested in the form of an eight-year old, the king also asked the question, "What food have you been eating?"

Padmasambhava answered, "My father is the wisdom of awareness, and my mother is Samantabhadri, which is the union of bliss and emptiness." He then said, "The country of my citizenship is the unborn dharmadhatu. I belong to the caste of inseparable space and awareness, and the food that sustains me is the food of duality.
"

Another translation from "The Lotus Born - The Life Story of Padmasambhava":

"Little boy child, who is your father and who is your mother?
What is your case and what what is your country?
What food do you live on and what is your purpose here?

In reply to these questions the boy said:

My father is the wisdom of spontaneous awareness,
My mother is the Ever-Excellent Lady, the space of all things.
I belong to the caste of indivisible space and awareness.
I have taken the unborn dharmadhatu as my homeland.
I sustain myself by consuming the concepts of duality.
My purpose is the act of killing disturbing emotions.
"

another:

"My father is the intrinsic awareness, Samantabhadra. My mother is the ultimate sphere of reality, Samantrabhadri. I belong to the caste of non-duality of the sphere of awareness. My name is the Glorious Lotus Born. I am from the unborn sphere of all phenomena. I consume concepts of duality as my diet. I act in the way of the Buddhas of the three times."

another:

"My father is the pure awareness of rigpa, Samantabhadra,
My mother, the space of all things, Samantabhadri,
My line, the indivisibility of awareness and space,
My name, the glorious Lotus Born,
My homeland, the unborn dharmadhatu,
My sustenance, consuming dualistic thoughts,
My destiny, to accomplish the actions of the buddhas of past, present and future.
"

Perhaps this becomes a little bit more clear.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

It's really that last couple of lines that's a hum dinger for me, but the additional translations do help. Thank you.

It just seems strange to hear that he is sustained by dualistic thoughts. Especially since he's here to destroy them. What's he gonna eat after they're all destroyed?
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
heart

Post by heart »

padma norbu wrote: It just seems strange to hear that he is sustained by dualistic thoughts. Especially since he's here to destroy them. What's he gonna eat after they're all destroyed?
That is the nature of self-liberation, consuming dualistic thoughts.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

heart wrote:
padma norbu wrote: It just seems strange to hear that he is sustained by dualistic thoughts. Especially since he's here to destroy them. What's he gonna eat after they're all destroyed?

/magnus
I've never seen that expressed anywhere else before. Leave thoughts alone, yes, consume them, no.

Basically, you are saying it's figurative, right? An 8-year old boy's gotta eat food in samsara.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Oh, actually, I think I understand it.
heart

Post by heart »

padma norbu wrote:
heart wrote:

/magnus
I've never seen that expressed anywhere else before. Leave thoughts alone, yes, consume them, no.

Basically, you are saying it's figurative, right? An 8-year old boy's gotta eat food in samsara.
Its poetic, there is an other Dzogchen saying that goes "the more thoughts the more dharmakaya", that perhaps makes it more understandable for you.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Yeah, I got it. I think this tendency to speak in poetic language often is partially why so many "aha" moments are easily forgotten by me. But, every momentarily arising phenomena is an opportunity to recognize and for one who is fully realized, it would be a continuous stream of "sustenance." I'm not sure why it didn't immediately remind me of my own signature or the "poison-eating peacocks."
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

:smile:
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

padma norbu wrote: Leave thoughts alone, yes, consume them, no.
That would be the difference between the view of Sutra and the view of Tantra.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

dakini_boi wrote:
padma norbu wrote: Leave thoughts alone, yes, consume them, no.
That would be the difference between the view of Sutra and the view of Tantra.
Well, there is also instruction to let thoughts be in Dzogchen teaching, too, particularly with disturbing emotions. Just look at it and watch it dissolve on its own.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”