What does Buddhism say about success?

Help required with personal difficulties.
odysseus

Re: What does Buddhism say about success?

Post by odysseus »

dzogchungpa wrote:
odysseus wrote:This quote was comforting, but is it from Buddha?
“The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.”
http://www.fakebuddhaquotes.com/the-who ... e-no-fear/
Thanks for clearing that up. Though this fake quote could be compatible with Buddhism, I puzzled over the last sentence. I thought that "never fear what will become of you" referred to not running after fame, riches and wordly gain though it could be misunderstood...
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Swami V was alright. You can find that quote in this book:
https://archive.org/details/inspiredtalks00viverich
Apparently the full passage reads:
The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you free. The full sponge can absorb no more.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

odysseus wrote: I surely want to see for myself and see the rest of my life as an open road to more realisations, if that´s what you mean.
that's what I mean
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

odysseus wrote:Padma: That could be a good idea with some voluntary work. My local Buddhist centre has a retreat facility. But I prefer to work out there in society, being a bodhisattva *lol*. My lama told me I don´t need a retreat, I have not taken any empowerments or vows though. He has a very relaxed attitude.
Working at a retreat center or monastery type setting is not the same as being on a retreat, and it can give you a lot of education and preparation for fulfilling your bodhisattva aspirations. Anyway, something to keep in mind, especially if your teacher is a lama, because many Vajrayana schools have residential places that need staff.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
odysseus wrote:Padma: That could be a good idea with some voluntary work. My local Buddhist centre has a retreat facility. But I prefer to work out there in society, being a bodhisattva *lol*. My lama told me I don´t need a retreat, I have not taken any empowerments or vows though. He has a very relaxed attitude.
Working at a retreat center or monastery type setting is not the same as being on a retreat, and it can give you a lot of education and preparation for fulfilling your bodhisattva aspirations. Anyway, something to keep in mind, especially if your teacher is a lama, because many Vajrayana schools have residential places that need staff.
I have´nt talked to this lama for a long time but I could surely ask! Though there are many who work there from before. Thanks for your faith in me *lol*!
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

ngodrup wrote:The facts might surprise one, what Buddha taught it not what we usually think.

http://www.wisdompubs.org/book/buddhas- ... prosperity
I read the book now - thanks for the tip. It´s very orthodox, but to the point. I particularly enjoyed the sections on good communication. Even if there was some challenging parts for me, I feel better now after reading.

Nonetheless, according to this book I´m a partial failure as a layman since I have no big interest in wealth (of course I want to get back to work to earn cash, I´m on disability pension at the moment). E.g. if a wife would leave her husband if he does´nt go for success and acquire wealth, then I have no chance *lol*.

Since I´m a householder bodhisattva, I can tolerate medium wealth. I have an apartment which I will inherit from my parents, proper clothes, food, multimedia system, computer, bicycle, but no vehicles. (Am I lucky?). It´s this feeling of being outside normal society norms that´s strange... But I guess a bodhisattva would come and go in society anyway.

This book and your answers does´nt make it clear whether I failed or not as a layman, but I don´t think I´m a bad person/Buddhist just because I lost a lot of things and ended up in a wordly mess.

:thanks:
Last edited by odysseus on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I think the whole "failure" notion is nonsense, or at least it's not a definition worth dwelling on. Failure is a life being led about by the defilements..success is a life where you can live relatively free of them, and handle the rough patches with some equanimity IMO.

I mean, laying around being depressed and feeling terrible is a sign of not being "successful" for the reasons above, but personally I don't there's anything remotely wrong with just not caring much about wealth acquisition.

Find a few people who are "successful" and see how happy they are, there's exceptions, but generally in this society "success" doesn't correlate with anything approaching happiness or contentment.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
dude

Post by dude »

This book and your answers does´nt make it clear whether I failed or not as a layman, but I don´t think I´m a bad person/Buddhist just because I lost a lot of things and ended up in a wordly mess."

Sounds to me like this is a perfect opportunity to practice hard and see what it will do for you. If the results are no great shakes, you can always back up again or try something else. But why not put it to the test?
Anders

Post by Anders »

Unless you're breaking some of the five precepts in a grave way there is no such thing as a "failed layman". You start from where you are and then ask "what can I do better?"

Then next week, you ask "am I doing better?" - If you can answer yes to this question, you're doing a great job. The degree of how much better is less relevant.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

odysseus wrote: I drink beer everyday and smoke hashish.
He would probably say something about that. :smile:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Dude, get off the dope and cut down the beer.
It’s eye blinking.
oushi

Post by oushi »

odysseus wrote:What would Buddha say about this? About success in worldly life.
That it passes.
Say what you think about me here.
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Thanks for your non-judgemental replies.

This one helps too:

odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Even though the book looks like self-help stuff, it´s not embarrassing to have at all...
Motova

Post by Motova »

You and I seem to be in a similar situation...

Here is my advice regarding the hash and alcohol:

1. Indulging sense pleasure is like drinking salt water - however much one indulges, thirst and craving only increase. Immediately abandoning whatever things give rise to clinging and attachment is the Bodhisattva's practice.

2. Buy a prayer wheel and mala to keep your hands busy, this way when you feel like taking a hit or a sip you work on your mind instead.

These two points helped me end my dependency on marijuana. It was mostly do to boredom and the need to do something with my hands.

Here is my advice for women:

1. Stop wasting time on facebook. If you like it, use it to network to increase your odds of finding someone compatible.

2. Get a job if you can (women are expensive and aren't attracted to deadbeat druggies (no offense)!).

3. Get involved around the community and go to clubs (not the drinking/dancing kind) to increase your odds of finding someone compatible and benefit your community with your Bodhisattva practice.

I wish you luck, remember your suffering is nothing compared to the vast majority of samsaric beings.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni »

When there is possession of a notion of success, then there is possession of a notion of success.
Shush! I'm doing nose-picking practice!
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Gwenn Dana wrote:When there is possession of a notion of success, then there is possession of a notion of success.
Very well, but looking left then right, then straight ahead will not remove this possession. :bow:
Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni »

odysseus wrote:Very well, but looking left then right, then straight ahead will not remove this possession. :bow:
Who knows? What does looking left know of a notion of success? What right? What straight ahead? When there's looking left ... there´s looking left.
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Gwenn Dana wrote:
odysseus wrote:Very well, but looking left then right, then straight ahead will not remove this possession. :bow:
Who knows? What does looking left know of a notion of success? What right? What straight ahead? When there's looking left ... there´s looking left.
Hm, if there´s only looking and looking, there´s no left... It´s success! :)
Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni »

Hm, if there´s only looking and looking, there´s no left... It´s success! :)
When there is looking, there is looking, not success.

Return to “Help Required”