Soka Gakai (SGI) Criticism Thread

illarraza

Re: Soka Gakai (SGI) Criticism Thread

Post by illarraza »

Fawning and Flattery by SGI and Daisaku Ikeda

"In your letter you mentioned the great honor you had to give lecture at the family temple of a court noble. But to me it seems very strange for you to say so. You are a priest who renounced the secular world and, what is more, you embrace the most precious teaching in the world. Even if you should meet a Bodhisattva of the highest rank, why should you think it anything special? Much lessshould you stand in awe of even Bonten or Taishaku. They are the servants of our father, Shakyamuni Buddha, who have been sent byhim to govern his domain and support the priests who embrace the true law. Bishamon and the other heavenly kings rule over the four quarters as guards appointed by Bonten and Taishaku. The rulers of the four continents are all retainers of the four heavenly kings. But the ruler of this little island country of Japan would not evenqualify as a retainer of the Wheel Rolling Kings who reign over the four continents. He is nothing but an island chieftain. By calling the retainer of this chieftain "his excellency," exulting over "his gracious invitation" and, what is more, by speaking of the "great honor" you had, are you not in essence expressing your low opinion of me, Nichiren? On the whole it seems that when my disciples go to the capitol city, Kyoto, they first heed my warnings but later become crazed by the devil of the sixth heaven. That is exactly what happened to Sho'ubo. Don't become like him and incur heaven's wrath."

"It is crazy that you have already changed your name after spending such a short time in the capitol. I suppose you are even mimicking the Kyoto accent and dialect. If a mouse becomes a bat, it isneither a mouse nor a bird. You are neither a country priest nor a Kyoto priest, and I think you are going the way of Sho'ubo. Use your own country dialect; it is terrible to use a mixture of the two. Is not Sonjo, the name you signed your letter with, the same as the given name of Emperor Gotoba? What a strange choice you have made!" -- On Debating Other Sects

Born Taisaku [Fat Building], Ikeda changed his name to Daisaku [Great Building]. Attached to honors and awards, he sucks up to such men as Zhou Enlai, Gorbachev, Ceasceau, Castro, and Dr. Rahman (Indonesia President), to name a few, never once correcting them as would have Nichiren Daishonin. He lacks the mercy to correct them. Again, this is proof of Ikeda’s and SGI’s duplicity. They will suck up to every Tom Dick, and Harry dictator, tyrant, and intellectual but will slander the powerless members of the other Nichiren sects. SGI is the World of Animality and Ikeda is nothing but a beast.

"It is the nature of common mortals not to know what awaits them in the future. Those who know it well are called worthies or sages. Passing over examples from the past, I will cite one from the present. Lord Hojo Yoshimasa relinquished both his domains and became a lay priest. I hear that, in the end, he abandoned all his many estates, forsook his sons and daughters as well as his wife and secluded himself from the world. You have neither sons nor brothers upon whom you can rely. All that you have is your two fiefs. This life is like a dream. One cannot know if he will live until tomorrow. Even if you should become the most wretched of beggars, never disgrace the Lotus Sutra. Since life is so short in any event, you should not weep over your fate. As you yourself wrote in your letter, you must act and speak without the least servility. Fawning or flattery will only do you more harm. Even if your fiefs should be confiscated or you yourself driven out, think that it is due to the workings of the Ten Goddesses, and wholeheartedly entrust yourself to them." -- A Warning Against Begrudging One's Fief

And further down we read,

"You must in no way behave in a servile fashion toward the magistrate. Tell him, "This fief of mine is not one which my lord bestowed upon me for any ordinary reason. He awarded it to me because I saved his life with the medicine of the Lotus Sutra when he fell seriously ill. If he takes it from me, his illness will surely return. At that time, even if he should apologize to me, Yorimoto, I will not accept it." Having had your say, take your leave in an abrupt manner."

Fawning and flattery is the World of Animality. There is more fawning and flattery in the SGI from top to bottom than there is in the federal government of the United States or in any corporation. It is particularly offensive the way Daisaku Ikeda fawns over the intellectuals and men of power in this Latter Age world of ours. He takes fawning and flattery to new heights, failing to teach the Lotus and Nirvana Sutras and the correct and sublime teachings of Nichiren Daishonin for fear of alienating insignificant and dastardly men.

I woke up this morning with a sharp sword: A lucid mind. I didn't have to do a ten hour toso yesterday. I chanted a half hour. However, I have a little faith in the Lotus Sutra and Shakyamuni Buddha. Daisaku Ikeda's and SGI's agenda became perfectly clear to me. They have already thrown out Shakyamuni Buddha from his own religion. Slowly, ever so slowly, they are throwing out Nichiren Daishonin from his Lotus Sutra based religion too. It all began with "Nichiren said this but meant that." Now, any inconvenient teaching of Nichiren Daishonin is not taught at all. The thrust of many SGI members comments on my various blogs over the last five years has been that SGI's and Daisaku Ikeda's ecumenical life philosophy is greater than Shakyamuni Buddha's and Nichiren Daishonin's religion based on the exclusive faith and practice of the Lotus Sutra. They can not get rid of the names of these great men and the beneficent practice of chanting the Daimoku. If they did, who would take Makiguchi's, Toda's, and Ikeda's word over those of Shakyamuni Buddha and Nichiren Daishonin? The members have been brainwashed into believing the Daimoku was these men's invention, "If it weren't for Daisaku Ikeda you would have never met the Daimoku" or "If it weren't for Makiguchi's and Toda's 'martyrdom' you would never have encountered the Daimoku." The reality is, the Daimoku is so pure that even the SGI men and women of of incorrigeable disbelief feel refreshed like having taken a shower after chanting the Daimoku. However, at best, in the hands of those who practice fawning servitude, what they experience is nothing more than the World of Rapture. Stuck as they are in the Six Lower Realms for having thrown out Shakyamuni Buddha and the Supreme Votary of the Lotus Sutra, they can neither deliver themselves from the cycle of birth and death nor accomplish the Great Wish.
Masaru

Post by Masaru »

(Was composing this as Buku posted.)
Myoho-Nameless wrote:Meditation could have a place in prisons though come to think of it. To my knowledge, Buddhism priorities general well being before spirituality, health, financial safety etc. As much as Nichiren Buddhism places those things within the context of "spirituality".

I'm sure you knew this: http://youtu.be/lUt_fIB6A_Y
Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless »

Masaru wrote:(Was composing this as Buku posted.)
Myoho-Nameless wrote:Meditation could have a place in prisons though come to think of it. To my knowledge, Buddhism priorities general well being before spirituality, health, financial safety etc. As much as Nichiren Buddhism places those things within the context of "spirituality".

I'm sure you knew this: http://youtu.be/lUt_fIB6A_Y
I did a senior project about that in HS, my guilty pleasure TV show was "Lockdown" at the time.
"Keep The Gods Out Of It. Swear On Your Heads. Which I Will Take If You Break Your Vow."- Geralt of Rivia
rory

Post by rory »

Exactly! I saw this very inspiring film at Duke: http://www.dhammabrothers.com/Trailer.htm We Nichiren Buddhist should do the same....
gassho
rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Masaru

Post by Masaru »

rory wrote:Exactly! I saw this very inspiring film at Duke: http://www.dhammabrothers.com/Trailer.htm We Nichiren Buddhist should do the same....
gassho
rory
Watching those videos brings a few things to mind.

One being that while the law of karma dictates that we come to be where we are because of our own actions, we also form close associations because of our past karma as well. The prison guards, the warden, and probably even those in the community who feel strongest that the prisoners be punished harshly and who lack compassion are, in fact, just a few steps removed from those criminals. Psychologically, what they hate and judge is what they see in themselves. Karmically, it suggests that they have committed similar acts in the past.

Another thing I notice is that the prisoners featured all seem to be African American and the guards in those short videos obviously are not. Sociologically something seems to be wrong with that particular situation that suggests a deeper problem in the larger community. Karmically we could assume that there is a playing out of karmic retribution and expiation, with those who have greater offenses being criminalized and those who have overcome much of their karma being victimized, carrying out judgment and retribution upon, helping those who commit such crimes or even marginalizing the groups those people came from. Hopefully Dharma missions like that can have a positive impact on the collective consciousness of communities rather than leaving isolated individuals with a glimpse of tranquil joy. Ultimately, I don't think it's just the prisoners who need that training, you see.

Keep in mind that good karma can lead to rebirth as a Mara, where one's existence is heavenly but where one feeds off of the life-force of others and creates many karmically unwholesome causes in the course of maintaining one's way of life.
dude

Post by dude »

a short history of Buddhism (eg; that Theravada and Mahayana arose simultaneously)

What do you mean by that?
Masaru

Post by Masaru »

dude wrote:a short history of Buddhism (eg; that Theravada and Mahayana arose simultaneously)

What do you mean by that?
I think she means that this fact is significant because commonly Mahayanists confuse Theravada with the self-focused "Hinayana" described in the sutras without acknowledging the full history of development behind Theravada Buddhism.
dude

Post by dude »

They didn't arise simultaneously.
rory

Post by rory »

What I tried to say (not too well..) is that the usual history that Theravada is older than Mahayana is being proven incorrect by modern scholarship. They were two strains of Buddhism that developed around the same time. Theravada today still reflects the Hinayana ideal of being an arhat which is not the ideal of Mahayana. Ven. Indrajala is a good person to discuss this with too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mah%C4%81s ... B9%83ghika

Masaru; if you see the movie, the experience of the guards is great too, the warden as well...the prison is in Alabama and the racial overtones in the Deep South are very clear, which makes the film so very powerful. In the future I would love to go to a women's prison and teach the Dharma.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless »

Masaru wrote: Psychologically, what they hate and judge is what they see in themselves.
I am skeptical of this meme, Its not always the case or even more than half. People are elitist, they do not like how some people are "inferior" to themselves.
"Keep The Gods Out Of It. Swear On Your Heads. Which I Will Take If You Break Your Vow."- Geralt of Rivia
Masaru

Post by Masaru »

Myoho-Nameless wrote:
Masaru wrote: Psychologically, what they hate and judge is what they see in themselves.
I am skeptical of this meme, Its not always the case or even more than half. People are elitist, they do not like how some people are "inferior" to themselves.
Why the need to assert themselves? I only saw a few short videos, but I have to wonder what percentage of the local population is non-white and how that compares to the racial composition of the inmate population and then to that of the prison staff. Regardless, I don't buy that individuals don't know on a subconscious level that they're competing with minorities as an out-group on an economic level. I find it more likely that, in such a community, people are looking to reassert themselves as having a special identity rather than genuinely feeling they are somehow superior.

I thought this was interesting. It's not entirely relevant: http://youarenotsosmart.com/2013/11/06/ ... sychology/
Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless »

I have no idea whats going on in that community, what I know is I have a disdain and even a prejudice against clean freaks, do I hate in others what I see in myself? Not in this case, you should see my bedroom. A wonderful chaotic comfy sty.
Masaru

Post by Masaru »

Myoho-Nameless wrote:I have no idea whats going on in that community, what I know is I have a disdain and even a prejudice against clean freaks, do I hate in others what I see in myself? Not in this case, you should see my bedroom. A wonderful chaotic comfy sty.
So, my assumption is that a good number of these men were probably filtered into their situation by the effects of history on their cultural environment, then parental upbringing, then prejudice of others in society who denied them opportunities and dealt with them heavy handedly; that the holier than thou "let 'em rot" mentality of some is more of an excuse to justify prejudice and inequality, and that those directly involved in enforcement overwhelmingly are looking for ways to differentiate themselves from individuals who, other than the color of their skin and some stylistic preferences, they probably have a lot in common with. Elitism is something that drives racism, but only insofar as it can divide the lower classes. Elites usually try to appear impartial and gracious so as to then appear morally superior. So elitism is different from racially based hegemony.

Maybe you're just messy because you have a lot of barbarian genes: http://youtu.be/Z3kBWP231hI :rolleye:
Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless »

Masaru wrote:
Maybe you're just messy because you have a lot of barbarian genes: http://youtu.be/Z3kBWP231hI :rolleye:
As a Norwegian American I don't doubt it.

In general, I assume the people in prison were people in situations who were never given opportunities to behave in pro social ways, so they behave in anti social ways. In keeping with the views I espoused on the other forum, I began to read a book I meant to pick up http://www.amazon.com/Men-Strike-Boycot ... 1594036756

and incentive crops up in the very first chapter. People respond to the world they are given, they do not tend to follow ideals we can formulate in classrooms or on an armchair. I would say men are quitting and not striking, but impoverished people have no choice, they can't strike, no one cares, they have to quit.
Masaru

Post by Masaru »

Myoho-Nameless wrote:
Masaru wrote:People respond to the world they are given, they do not tend to follow ideals we can formulate in classrooms or on an armchair. I would say men are quitting and not striking, but impoverished people have no choice, they can't strike, no one cares, they have to quit.
They can always become intentionally problematic. In the 90's, you would see displays in the news of several women who all had children from the same exceptionally destructive criminal crying and pledging their undying affection as he was carted off to prison. And then there are the Robin Hood heroes of the people violent terrorist organizations that operate out of Mexico who carry out the business of delivering contraband to the US. You might not be aware of this, but it hasn't been uncommon for those who are incarcerated to be seen as heroes once they're released. They're seen as individuals who have beat the system in a fundamental way, defying the danger, torture, and stigma of prison. To an extent, I think 9/11 has changed this insofar as people feel law enforcement is there to protect them from the threat of potential terrorism. A lot of the post 9/11 controls put in place do negatively affect the poor, though.
Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless »

The "legalize all drugs" crows is slowly, slowly, beginning to win me over. Of course doing the right thing, however defined, is totally contrary to all customs and traditions of the government. Much less give minorities opportunities to behave in pro social ways.
Masaru

Post by Masaru »

There's always that precept against taking intoxicants. But the world is a strange and chaotic place. Workers rights were won by the likes of anarchists and the mafia. The reason we now have a black president (never mind if he actually represents the people) is in part because of the 1960's, the unified resolve of the black community against the oppressive policies and ideologies of the time, the widespread terror of a large scale open conflict and the indignation of sympathizers who realized how justifying acts against one group contributed to potential and actual abuse of themselves and their loved ones.
Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless »

Masaru wrote:There's always that precept against taking intoxicants.
Not everyone is a Buddhist, and of all the precepts that one is most often broken. I won't put a judgement on that fact, I will say that sugar and caffeine are drugs too and I use both. And I would not be above selling cannabis. I think we have a black president because he is black to be perfectly honest. Even that fact is due to the 60s however.
Masaru

Post by Masaru »

Myoho-Nameless wrote:
Masaru wrote:There's always that precept against taking intoxicants.
Not everyone is a Buddhist, and of all the precepts that one is most often broken. I won't put a judgement on that fact, I will say that sugar and caffeine are drugs too and I use both. And I would not be above selling cannabis.
Sugar? I saw something about it lighting up the same parts of the brain as cocaine, but I still don't think it can be considered a drug. Idk, maybe I'm just a sugar junkie. But tobacco and alcohol are drugs, or drug-ish, and we still sell them. We could just treat drug use as a health issue, kind of like obesity. Imagine sending people to jail for being overweight.
Myoho-Nameless wrote:I think we have a black president because he is black to be perfectly honest. Even that fact is due to the 60s however.
Sometimes, when people tell me they're black, I act surprised. But secretly? Secretly... I knew. I knew all along...

:spy:
Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless »

White sugar is definitely a drug, its addictive, and is a refined natural substance in the same way cocaine is a heavily processed and refined natural compound, you can chew on coca leaves and its not even close to doing coke. Another reason is that basically everything is a "drug".
Masaru wrote: Imagine sending people to jail for being overweight.
as if I need another reason to be a "deviant".

Return to “Nichiren”