Short term residential programs in Taiwan

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
jmlee369

Short term residential programs in Taiwan

Post by jmlee369 »

I was wondering if there were any monasteries in Taiwan that offered either structured or unstructured short term residential programs during the summer. I'm asking for a friend from Hong Kong who is planning on spending some time in Taiwan. She's interested in spending some time in a monastic environment, and an opportunity to learn some basic Dharma would be an added plus, but even an unstructured stay is okay with them. Does anyone have suggestions?
JKhedrup

Re: Short term residential programs in Taiwan

Post by JKhedrup »

FGS' Wooden Fish program is the only one I know of that seems to fit the description that you give above. However, it may be a tad late to register- you can contact Ven. Hui Feng here on the forum for more information.

It might also be worth contacting the other large Taiwanese Buddhist organizations, such as Dharma Drum Mountain and Chung Tai Chan, for more information. Ven. Indrajala, who also posts here, is familiar with DDM , having served there as a translator for an extended period.

Hope this is of at least some assistance.
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

JKhedrup wrote:FGS' Wooden Fish program is the only one I know of that seems to fit the description that you give above. However, it may be a tad late to register- you can contact Ven. Hui Feng here on the forum for more information.

It might also be worth contacting the other large Taiwanese Buddhist organizations, such as Dharma Drum Mountain and Chung Tai Chan, for more information. Ven. Indrajala, who also posts here, is familiar with DDM , having served there as a translator for an extended period.

Hope this is of at least some assistance.
The Woodenfish HBMLP is no longer based in Taiwan. The one I'm presently running is the Fo Guang Buddhist Monastic Retreat. However, application dates for this year are already past.

The main question is: Can the participant speak Chinese (Mandarin)? If so, there are a large number of programs all over Taiwan, just take your pick. If not, and one requires English, then the FGBMR may be one of the few programs available.

~~Huifeng
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

My friend speaks Mandarin, so I guess I'm looking for suggestions to narrow the options.

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”