Tiantai?

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Namu Butsu

Tiantai?

Post by Namu Butsu »

Does Chinese Tiantai still exists? I was trying to find some material in english, but could not find any. I know there are resources on Tendai, but I wonder if the original Tiantai is still alive and kicking. Any resources?
"Just say the nembutsu and be liberated" Shinran Shonin
"However hard it may be to bid farewell to this world, when the conditions that bind us to this saha [samsara] realm run out, we are powerless to do anything as the final hour arrives and we are swept away to that Land." -A Record in Lament of Divergences
ovi

Re: Tiantai?

Post by ovi »

You can find The Essentials of Buddhist Meditation and The Six Dharma Gates to the Sublime at the Kalavinka press and the first 6 chapters of The Great Cessation-and-Contemplation, which is work in progress.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

It is indeed alive. Here is a summary of their teachings http://www.tientai.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gassho,
Seishin
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

I used to practice at a Vietnamese Tiantai Temple in Texas. I took refuge and precepts with the monk there and still try to live up to his example even though I hardly learned a small fraction of what he has to teach. Unfortunately, my teacher's view is that his Vietnamese lineage is rather rare. According to him, aside from his preceptor, he was not aware of anyone else in the lineage. A good friend of mine has been studying with him much longer than I was able to, but as a householder, he has limited means to keep the tradition going - unless they find people willing to ordain. I believe there are pockets of teachers keeping the tradition going aside from the Tendai tradition in Japan, which was alluded to in earlier posts in this thread.
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

In the US, check out Fayun Monastery, est. by Ven. Miaojing.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

This sub-link is better for English only folks: http://fayun.org/index.php?p=english_info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”