Zen

buddhas_bud

Zen

Post by buddhas_bud »

Does the subject of Zen or zazen ever come up in conversation?
plwk

Re: Zen

Post by plwk »

Yeah...when it's about spa treatment, cool merchandise, toiletries and the occasional sectarian spats commonly found on forum sites or when comparing zazen with other Buddhist Traditions' meditation practices...or just simply about how some try out 'zazen without Zen' just for de-stressing, relaxation or as the latest fad...
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

buddhas_bud wrote:Does the subject of Zen or zazen ever come up in conversation?
無 (Mu)
Quiet Heart

Post by Quiet Heart »

:tongue:
This is probably not what you mean by Zen "Coming up in conversations" but I'll tell the story anyhow.
When I went to college, a long time ago now, I read a lot of Zen stories and Koans. I didn't know much about what I was reading then...but I liked them.
Once I was waiting for a class to start, and I pulled out my book of Koans to read. I was puzzling over the "meaning" of one. Another student walked by me, saw I was reading the Koans, and asked me, "What the ---- is all this Zen ----, anyhow!"
Just as he said that it was like everything had slowed down. I could hear the clock going,,,,Tick.....Tock....Tick....Tock. All the students hurrying to class suddenly seemed to be moving in slow motion. Everything had slowed down to a crawl.
I was so startled by this that i let out an involuntary shout.
The student that had asked the question must have thought I was going crazy. He dropped his books and ran off, to get away from the crazy man, I guess. And just as he did that, everything came back to normal speed.
Maybe that's why Zen doesn't often come up in polite conversation.
I wonder if he ever came back to pick up his books?
:tongue:
Shame on you Shakyamuni for setting the precedent of leaving home.
Did you think it was not there--
in your wife's lovely face
in your baby's laughter?
Did you think you had to go elsewhere (simply) to find it?
from - Judyth Collin
The Layman's Lament
From What Book, 1998, p. 52
Edited by Gary Gach
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I once attempted an email conversation with someone who insisted on communicating in the manner of an 8th-century Ch'an master, as though he were the master of a virtual Tung Shan. All koans all the time. Felt like World of Warcraft: Shaolin Temple Edition.

Your mileage may vary.

Return to “Zen”