The Shurangama Dharani

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: The Shurangama Dharani

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

I screwed-up the link, but anyway the title of the bi-lingual book is cosmic-magic-syllables-save-the-world
Last edited by Nicholas Weeks on Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

Let me try posting the link:
http://www.bttsonline.org/chinese-and-e ... %E8%AA%9E/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
plwk

Post by plwk »

Shasta Abbey's English translation of the Dharani here
icylake

Post by icylake »

Korean version of Shurangama dharani

monk version(formal version): http://olpost.com/v/2084034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nun(more fluid, casual): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irCo_f29eBc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

in Korea, Shurangama matra is mainly chanted by Zen monks, especially a temple called haeinsa(海印寺 )if a monk doesn't recite the mantra 108times, he can not be permitted to particapate in retreats of temple's zen hall
chuan chang

Post by chuan chang »

One must study

1, the Shurangama Sutra
2. the Shurangama Mantra
3. the 50 Demonic states of Meditation
4. the Shurangama Samadi Sutra

after one has fully studied and understands ,
one is ready to start the cultivation of this Dharma.
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

How long did it take people to memorize this dharani?
I loved reciting it with the Sangha every morning during my stay at CTTB but since I'm not Chinese the syllables were not so easy for me to replicate.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Sanskrit Shurangama Dharani

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Here is an audio version, with a red arrow marking line by line the transliterated Sanskrit:

http://archive.org/details/Shurangama

The smallest download is around 80mb.
remm

Post by remm »

JKhedrup wrote:How long did it take people to memorize this dharani?
I loved reciting it with the Sangha every morning during my stay at CTTB but since I'm not Chinese the syllables were not so easy for me to replicate.
About two years for me... and that's reciting it everyday. Even now sometimes I mess up. I'm a poor cultivator, not sincere enough.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know the difference between the two Sanskrit version posted at the beginning of the thread? I'm trying to find a good Sanskrit version.

Thank you,

Andrew
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Hello Again,

Is there anyone on this forum that I could PM for details about using the Surangama Dharani? I just recently started reciting it daily, with some pretty interesting results and am hoping to get some feedback. Thank you.

Best Wishes,
Andrew
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

This short introduction to the mantra by Master Hua is probably somewhere else in one of the Shurangama threads at DW, but just in case it is not, here it is:

http://neozen888.files.wordpress.com/20 ... ntary1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Does anyone know where to find a copy of "Cosmic Magic Syllables Save the World"? It doesn't seem to be available on the BTTS site.

Also, as far as I know transmission is not needed to use the mantra, but given the power and efficacy the mantra is said to have, wouldn't it be best to have a teacher to guide one through the related practice? Reciting a mantra that keeps demons at bay and the world safe seems like a huge responsibility, much more than one should do on their own. I've backed off my own practice for the time being to be cautious about this. Thoughts?

Best,
Andrew
Inge

Post by Inge »

Andrew wrote:Does anyone know where to find a copy of "Cosmic Magic Syllables Save the World"? It doesn't seem to be available on the BTTS site.

Also, as far as I know transmission is not needed to use the mantra, but given the power and efficacy the mantra is said to have, wouldn't it be best to have a teacher to guide one through the related practice? Reciting a mantra that keeps demons at bay and the world safe seems like a huge responsibility, much more than one should do on their own. I've backed off my own practice for the time being to be cautious about this. Thoughts?

Best,
Andrew
It is in the BTTS shop, under Chinese and English books..
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Hi Inge,

Maybe it's just my computer, but when I try to order it I get an error saying there are no shipping methods available for the order. I've ordered from them before, so I figured it's the book that is unavailable.

Andrew
Inge

Post by Inge »

Andrew wrote:Hi Inge,

Maybe it's just my computer, but when I try to order it I get an error saying there are no shipping methods available for the order. I've ordered from them before, so I figured it's the book that is unavailable.

Andrew
Strange. I ordered it without problems, but that was years ago.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Hi all,

I'm looking for audio recordings of this dharani. I've heard how it's pronounced by contemporary Chinese-language practitioners; I'd like to know also, if possible, how it may sound in Vietnamese, Korean, or even Sino-Japanese.

Many thanks!
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

bump. any leads on audio files?

many thanks!
Inge

Post by Inge »

Jikan wrote:bump. any leads on audio files?

many thanks!
Vietnames (I think):
http://youtu.be/3Lh6aczA9qU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is also sanskrit versions on youtube..
justinjoylife

Post by justinjoylife »

Silkreeler

Confused Beginner

Post by Silkreeler »

Hello,

I am new to Buddhism, and yet somehow felt my life significantly improved after sincerely adopting some Buddhist values and memorizing and chanting several mantras like Mahakaruna Dharani, Cundi Dharani, Jvala Mahaugra Dharani, and several others .. For some reason, the name Shurangama Mantra keeps repeating in my head - perhaps after reading its name for the first time couple months ago.

For now, I would really like to incorporate Shurangama Mantra into my daily routines, but I've been overwhelmed by information from the Internet. Being a new Buddhist, It took my a while to even learn who Master Hsuan Hua was. Anyway, here are the following questions I'd like to ask about practicing Shurangama Mantra:

1. What's a recommended routine supposed to be like? Obviously I don't have access to initiations and teachers who could teach me mudras, so what regiment would be most effective given my situation? There are the Five Great Heart Mantras from Master Hsuan Hua, then there are also the Heart Mantra consisted of the last 11 lines of the Dharani. Are we supposed to read both? How many times? Well, I would like to memorize the entire long mantra someday, but for now at least we should start with the heart mantras, right?

2. Can we chant in Sanskrit instead of Mandarin? Did Master Hsuan Hua have any objection to this? This is the part that got me really confused. When it comes to Shurangama Mantra information in the Internet, almost every website expounded the mantra in unusual Chinese latin writings that are neither Wade Giles nor Pinyin. It is my understanding that to properly say a Mandarin word, you need to follow one of the four tones the word belongs to. Obviously, "dwo jr two" doesn't convey this tonality information. For this reason, I would really like to chant the Sanskrit instead of the unsual Chinese writings. However, my research on the Internet so far indicates that the Chinese version could be older than the Sanskrit version, so I'm worried that chanting the Sanskrit mantra may not have the better effect - especially when the transliteration doesn't quite sound the same:

104: Chedana - Chr Two Ni (OK)
105: Akala - E Jya La (OK)
106: Mrtyu - Mi Li Jyu (OK)
107: Prasamana - Bwo Li Dan La Ye (DIFFERENT)
108: Karim - Ning Jye Li (DIFFERENT)

And the above makes me not so sure about chanting the Sanskrit, given some theories that said that the Chinese Shurangama Dharani is older than the Sanskrit one. Anyway, back to the point, is it still OK to chant in Sanskrit, and why? I wish I could chant Sanskrit because I memorize Sanskrit words far faster than Chinese ones ...

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”