Dharmawheel forum

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Namu Butsu

Dharmawheel forum

Post by Namu Butsu »

Hi,

I just wanted to say that this forum in my opinion lacks any substance for real seekers of Buddhism. It is filled with many self righteous buddhist (who are likely buddhists wannabes). We already see the numbers dwindle down and the activity dry up.

One of the reasons I feel is that people are not benefiting much from the forum. Moderators can act high and mighty with their self righteous views and express them, but lock threads if someone responds to them.

In short this forum sucks. I hereby terminate my membership! Only half serious, but seriously this forum is whack and I am out.

I predict this forum will be closed down sometime in the near future, but thats the truth of impermanence.
"Just say the nembutsu and be liberated" Shinran Shonin
"However hard it may be to bid farewell to this world, when the conditions that bind us to this saha [samsara] realm run out, we are powerless to do anything as the final hour arrives and we are swept away to that Land." -A Record in Lament of Divergences
Dan74
Former staff member

Re: Dharmawheel forum

Post by Dan74 »

Namu butsu, I think the forum is as good as its members. Sure it only takes an extra spoon of salt to ruin a pot of soup, so here as elsewhere discussions get derailed over repeating issues and often repeating posters. But if you truly care, start useful threads, contribute well, report disruptive posts and the forum will be better. And of course if you have constructive comments, share them!
plwk

Post by plwk »

南无阿弥陀佛 南无阿弥陀佛 南无阿弥陀佛....
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Better to light a candle than curse the darkness. What type of discussion would you like to see?
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Namu Butsu wrote:In short this forum sucks.
Tell us what you really think.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

As a discussion forum get fairly large, there is bound to be a diverse set of views. There will be some who want a hard-line certain Dharma-view / their interpretation only, some that will want something more toward a secular view, etc. And that is fine as long as everyone is cordial. Here and at Dhamma Wheel too, we sometimes get complaints that we are allowing too many secular views to be expressed. And then we also get complaints from the opposite side that we are being Dharma-police and not allowing other views and interpretations.

"You can please some of the people some of the time;
all of the people some of the time;
some of the people all of the time;
but you can never please all of the people all of the time
."
Abraham Lincoln

Lincoln's words are especially true in a larger group. In a very small group, you are more likely to find a homogenous view, set of people. Here we have diversity and this is good. We just need to stay within the terms of service and be cordial.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Namu Butsu wrote:Hi,

I just wanted to say that this forum in my opinion lacks any substance for real seekers of Buddhism.
On some level that is true, but that is down to the members (us).
Namu Butsu wrote:It is filled with many self righteous buddhist (who are likely buddhists wannabes).
Completely agree with you there!It also has some experienced and knowlegable people on here - lets give them more encouragement when they post :smile:
Namu Butsu wrote:We already see the numbers dwindle down and the activity dry up.
This is most likely due to the summer - more people outside in the sun enjoying themselves, less people sat over a computer screen indoors. It happens every year. Board membership is actually increasing year on year.
Namu Butsu wrote:One of the reasons I feel is that people are not benefiting much from the forum. Moderators can act high and mighty with their self righteous views and express them, but lock threads if someone responds to them.
I haven't personally seen this happen.
Namu Butsu wrote:In short this forum sucks. I hereby terminate my membership! Only half serious, but seriously this forum is whack and I am out.
As others have said, it's only as good as its members. We can't pick and choose who can join - there is no screen test to make sure people are serious Buddhists before joining. It has it's problems no doubt but I've been involved with much much worse.

Be the change you want to see :smile:

Gassho,
Seishin

Return to “Lounge”