Dancing with Women in Buddhist Temple

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
plwk

Dancing with Women in Buddhist Temple

Post by plwk »

phpBB [video]

What do you think people? :shrug:
Karma Dorje

Re: Dancing with Women in Buddhist Temple

Post by Karma Dorje »

plwk wrote: What do you think people? :shrug:
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

plwk wrote:
phpBB [video]

It is clearly a dance during what is known as a feast offering, in which singing and dancing are encouraged at a certain point in the ritual.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

phpBB [video]

I thought it was this song, but it isn't. Sounds exactly like it though.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

phpBB [video]
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
philji

Post by philji »

Those crazy Vajrayana folks!!!!!!! Who is on the throne? Can't make them out...
plwk

Post by plwk »

It is clearly a dance during what is known as a feast offering, in which singing and dancing are encouraged at a certain point in the ritual.
Ah...is this standard for all feast offerings to use such music & dancing or upon discretion of the presiding umze or lamas?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

plwk wrote:
Ah...is this standard for all feast offerings to use such music & dancing or upon discretion of the presiding umze or lamas?
It is at the discretion of whoever is in charge.
philji

Post by philji »

I have attended some Tsok pujas with disciples of Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche and they play all sorts of western music during tsok.... :cheers:
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

As a reminder...
Jikan wrote:There have been previous attempts to discuss the allegations surrounding Sogyal Rinpoche, and their significance (what are they really, which accounts are to be trusted, and what do those accounts mean?). The central question seems to be, do these accounts disqualify Sogyal as a teacher of Dharma? Here's an example of such a thread

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 73&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

as you can see, the thing went sideways fast.

That said, if anyone would like to start a new thread on the topic of Sogyal Rinpoche and the allegations made regarding him, please do so with an eye on the ToS. Thank you.

*my own view? if the allegations are true, then I would not take instruction from Sogyal, nor encourage anyone else to do so, male or female.
philji

Post by philji »

We watch 1 min or so of a you tube clip, have no knowledge where it is, what is going on and we through our eyes and ue ears from an judgement.. Ah confused mind you mesmerize....
florin

Post by florin »

Here is a tibetan's perspective

His Holiness the Dalai Lama already mentioned many times in Tibetan language. Sometimes many western countries who are not familiar with Tibetan unique tradition in a deeper level. Sometimes they are having very hard time to understand our unique culture.
So, Here is my final conclusion.
For the Tibetan perspective Sogyal Rinpoche Dancing in the temple is absolutely wrong and insulting of our faith Because He has Title of RINPOCHE and we Tibetan respect him because of his title and we Tibetan do not dance inside the monastery.
But for western perspective I’m sure they will enjoy it.
Bottom line we are loosing our unique authentic tradition and culture in western society and we are mixing our unique tradition like a sex on the beach cocktail.
BUT WHO CARES! Now a days someTibetans are ready to do anything to please westerners! because dollars and EURO has lot of power and i don’t blame them.
have a wonderful good night.
-Lhaksam

http://www.lhaksam.com/dancing-for-living-and-dying/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

why should tibetan way of dancing be acceptable/correct and not western way? Is it not some kind of sectarism? The body is moving, free ... is it not that the point?
Certainly westerners have a lot to learn from Tibetans ... sometime Tibetans could also learn from westerners.
Important is motivation and to be free from conceptualizations ...

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Just because Lhaksam is Tibetan doesn't mean he has a better understanding.

Plenty of stupid Tibetans criticized Chogyal Namkhai Norbu for inane matters like wearing colorful t-shirts, for bathing in the ocean, or for being able to drive a car. Yet I haven't heard anything about Nyoshul Khenpo, who encountered a nudist beach in France I believe, and when he found himself being stared at for being the only one dressed in clothes at the beach, he returned later, stark naked instead. So I am sure that would be very shocking to Tibetans who care so much about titles!

I think these Tibetans should look in their own mirrors, and perhaps ask the question why so many Tibetans only care about blessings from high lamas, instead of listening to their teachings, and trying to absorb the essential points of the teachings. If they only care about titles and blessings, they have a big problem.

Now, I don't think all Tibetans are like this, in fact I know all Tibetans are not like this, but the apparent outrage over something as innocent as the dancing in the video in the first post, is to me just baffling. Dancing has had a place in Vajrayana Buddhism for quite a long time, and maybe Lhaksam just isn't aware of this. But there's all kinds of dances, from large and complex ritualistic dances, to more simple and spontaneous kinds of dances. And like Malcolm mentioned, in feast offerings in Vajrayana, it is not uncommon that there's dancing like this - be it to Western music or to Tibetan music, or any kind of music really. But perhaps to some of these Tibetans, who are more interested in titles, as per Lhaksam's comment, this is something they are not aware of.

Sometimes I just wish people could loosen up a little more...

There's many things to criticize on this planet, but the above video hardly qualifies.
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

plwk wrote:
phpBB [video]

"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

:lol:

I'm glad there are opportunities for dancing, opportunities for women, and opportunities for men and women to dance together, in Buddhist temples.

None of this should be controversial, shocking, or problematic... except, perhaps, their taste in music
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

Jikan wrote::lol:

I'm glad there are opportunities for dancing, opportunities for women, and opportunities for men and women to dance together, in Buddhist temples.

None of this should be controversial, shocking, or problematic... except, perhaps, their taste in music
Yes, it would have been much better if they were dancing to Bombs Over Baghdad.
-Padmasambhava
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Jikan wrote:None of this should be controversial, shocking, or problematic... except, perhaps, their taste in music
I like the original better. :lol:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Karma_Yeshe

Post by Karma_Yeshe »

plwk wrote:
phpBB [video]

I think that Vajrayana Rituals should neither be recorded nor posted on youtube.
Paul

Post by Paul »

"Here we see the both male and female specimens of the large tool-using ape homo sapiens gathering in a building, moving their body rhythmically to sounds and consuming food and ethanol laced liquids.They call this odd display 'having fun'"
/
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell

Return to “Lounge”