Can we eat food cooked by Buddhists?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
thornbush

Can we eat food cooked by Buddhists?

Post by thornbush »

I was sent this Youtube video link by a friend:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iix5v1yt ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And listen to how His Eminence Francis Cardinal Arinze (profile here) answered a gentleman who was the second person at 4:20 in the video on the official Church stand on food prepared by non-Catholics and if they are consumable by Catholics.
Some Christians have an issue with eating stuff prepared by non-Christians and even extended it to totally non religious places like restaurants and hotels with an extreme interpretation of what St Paul said in his 1st Letter to the Corinthians, Chapter 8:1-11:1:
http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=1Cr&c=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.
And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.
But if any man love God, the same is known of him.
As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol [is] nothing in the world, and that [there is] none other God but one.
For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
But to us [there is but] one God, the Father, of whom [are] all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom [are] all things, and we by him.
How be it [there is] not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat [it] as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.
But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.
But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to them that are weak.
For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;
And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?
Your thoughts on this? Though, I dunno why is it that when 'Chinese' is mentioned, there is an assumption that they are 'Buddhist'? :shrug: :thanks:
sraddha

Re: Can we eat food cooked by Buddhists?

Post by sraddha »

That's upto each individual and their understanding of whatever they think their faith says.

I do avoid religious foods of others -- Halaal food for example. Any sort of food that's touched or offered to energized statues or touched by prayers.

The last think I need is someone messing up my energy -- as if it's not already messed up enough! :tongue:
thornbush

Post by thornbush »

Hi sraddha,
Just curious...did someone taught you such thinking, derived from Sutra/Shastra sources or was it just your own private opinion/practice?

:thanks:
sraddha

Post by sraddha »

thornbush wrote:Hi sraddha,
Just curious...did someone taught you such thinking, derived from Sutra/Shastra sources or was it just your own private opinion/practice?

:thanks:
I started rejecting foods chanted over by other religions with my own practice, however, I also found some support for this:

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/acces ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What's been chanted over with verses
shouldn't be eaten by me.
That's not the nature, brahman,
of one who's seen rightly.
What's been chanted over with verses
Awakened Ones reject.

That being their nature, brahman,
this is their way of life.
Serve with other food & drink
a fully-perfected great seer,
Sn 1.4
Kasi Bharadvaja Sutta
To the Plowing Bharadvaja

I'm assuming no foods used in a ritualistic manner should be consumed. :smile:
Dodatsu

Post by Dodatsu »

No offense, but if going like that, then Thornbush and myself who come from countries with a huge population of muslims are not going to be able to eat anything, because a lot of places sell Halal food.
I think the difference between Buddhism and the other monotheistic religions are that we are able to live and accept. If the Awakened One were alive and here in this time and age, He'd probably would not reject halal or kosher food.
If you have problems, then one way you could do is make an offering of the food by saying a Buddhist "thanksgiving" over it, that's what i do over any food i eat.
Contemplating the power of Tathagata's Primal Vow,
One sees that no foolish being who encounters it passes by in vain.
When a person single-heartedly practices the saying of the Name alone,
It brings quickly to fullness and perfection [in that person] the great treasure ocean of true and real virtues.
- Shinran Shonin
sraddha

Post by sraddha »

Hi Dodatsu,

No offense taken! :smile:

I'm not going to surmise what the Buddha would or would not do today -- Buddhist sangha only eats food from the faithful, not those who insult them.. :smile: I know I can avoid it, and so I will. :shrug:

I think the key to eating any food is whether or not the person is insulting the Dharma. Monks/nuns however, are to eat food from those who have faith in Buddha and the Sangha -- not those who insult them or think of them as lowly or kafirs -- I won't eat any food from those who insult me or my faith.

So as long as those who offer the food aren't insulting the Dharma, then I don't think kosher/halal food is bad -- there are open minded people of all faiths who respect and protect different traditions.

You are right, one way to eat the food is to practice chant a Buddhist prayer over it -- Bhaisajya Guru might be good for that.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

??
Last edited by sraddha on Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: error, pressed edit instead of quote.
Those who are lust-infatuated fall back to the swirling current (of samsara) like a spider on its self-spun web. This too the wise cut off. Without any longing, they abandon all dukkha and renounce the world

Dhammapada - Verse 347
sraddha

Post by sraddha »

clw,

to make a long story short,

YOU ARE WRONG! :jedi:

The most devastating thing a monk/nun can do is refuse your food offering! That's Buddhism 101.
This is what the Sangha has done in Burma, they turn their bowls upside down in protest against the barbaric actions of the Burmese junta. A monk/nun understands this closes any way for these people to make enough merit to attain heaven.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Akossa Sutta:

"In the same way, brahman, that with which you have insulted me, who is not insulting; that with which you have taunted me, who is not taunting; that with which you have berated me, who is not berating: that I don't accept from you. It's all yours, brahman. It's all yours.

"Whoever returns insult to one who is insulting, returns taunts to one who is taunting, returns a berating to one who is berating, is said to be eating together, sharing company, with that person. But I am neither eating together nor sharing your company, brahman. It's all yours. It's all yours."
They are excommunicated from heaven or nirvana. It is also an effective tool of protest and perhaps will help them realize they are on the wrong path, just as it helped Akkosa Bharadwaj realize the error of his ways.:anjali:
ChangYuan

Post by ChangYuan »

I think you guys are all nuts. All halal means is food that is allowed to muslims. You are confusing it with kosher, which has a ritual attached to it. Halal and haram are just designators, like vegetarian and not; it just refers to what breaks the dietary laws and what doesn't.
_/\_ Amituofo

The Inept Buddhist
sraddha

Post by sraddha »

ChangYuan wrote:I think you guys are all nuts. All halal means is food that is allowed to muslims. You are confusing it with kosher, which has a ritual attached to it. Halal and haram are just designators, like vegetarian and not; it just refers to what breaks the dietary laws and what doesn't.
:D
Halal food requires the following to be chanted before the slaughter of the animal:
"In the name of God, God is the Greatest (Bismillah, Allahu Akbar).
Kosher meat requires the following:
shechita [Maimonides' Code, Laws of Shechita 2:12]
So it's not like choosing a sort of diet, like becoming vegetarian, it is a religious ritual performed on the food.

Return to “Lounge”