Name that mudra

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Nirveda

Name that mudra

Post by Nirveda »

Does anyone know what the name of this mudra and/or what it symbolizes?
31.jpg
31.jpg (53.29 KiB) Viewed 2878 times
plwk

Re: Name that mudra

Post by plwk »

Looks like a vitarka mudrā...
Nirveda

Post by Nirveda »

That doesn't seem to be it. The one she's doing involves the middle fingers of each hand touching the thumb. Vitarka mudra uses the index finger.
plwk

Post by plwk »

Was the link 'vitarka mudra' clicked on?
Raigo-in (Vitarka) Mudra -
The Reasoning and Teaching MudraClosely related to the Dharmachakra mudra; right hand points upward, left downward; both palms turned outward, with the thumb and index finger on each hand forming a circle; right hand at shoulder level, left hand at hip level.

In a variant, left hand rests palm upward in lap, with right hand raised to shoulder level with thumb and index finger forming circle; in another variant, the index finger and little fingers on both hands are extended, but the middle and ring fingers are curved inward slightly, with left hand pointing up and right hand pointing down.
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

Maybe it is this one:-

AKASH (AAKASH / AKASHI): Sky posture.
The sky has an attribute - recess or space. Another attribute is sound. Sound is regarded as the eternal spirit. Sound travels in waves, which are scattered in the sky. By catching the sound waves, we are able to hear these on radio. As the sky provides space outside, so is the sky spreads inside. The lack or excess of elements in the sky outside leads to imbalance. The third attribute of the sky is vacuum or nothingness. This is the attribute that fills the sky. The sky can be filled only when it has nothing. How can already filled sky be filled? The yoga helps practice meditation in the inner space. Emotions get purified when one concentrates in the heart. The middle finger and the heart are interrelated.

Thumb and middle finger are joined. Index, ring, and pinky fingers are extended. Mana (head) mudra. Mana mudras form an integral part of kundalini yoga because they utilize eyes, ears, nose, tongue and lips.
http://www.bellaterreno.com/art/a_relig ... mudra.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Looks like the "refuge bestowing" mudra mixed with the "turning the wheel of Dharma" mudra. Why don't you contact the artist and ask them?
:namaste:
PS Who is it in the picture? Tara? Guan Yin? Bobs, me uncle, wife?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Nirveda

Post by Nirveda »

Good point. I've emailed him and if he responds, I'll post the answer here.
mudra

Post by mudra »

Oh, OK..... for minute there i thought you wanted to blow my cover
:tongue:

mudra
Nirveda

Post by Nirveda »

Hah. No this isn't an internet "outing."

Interestingly, I watched the dance troup of Chinese young women doing the 1000-arm Kuan Yin performance.

If you look at the woman in front, at 0:22 for example, she's doing the same mudra:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgHmSdpjEIk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't make out the detail of her fingers, and she has those long-pointy finger extensions on. But the position of the hands and the loop with the thumb is the same.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”