Buddhist Images in the Workplace

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Thomas Amundsen

Buddhist Images in the Workplace

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Hello All,

Not sure if this topic has been covered, as the search engine won't let me search for the word "work" because it is too common. Nor am I sure if this is the appropriate forum...

What are your thoughts on displaying Buddhist images in the workplace? By that, I mean having pictures, statues, flags, whatever, in your cubicle, office, etc.
ball-of-string

Re: Buddhist Images in the Workplace

Post by ball-of-string »

I took down a framed picture of the Buddha from my office when I started sharing the office with a coworker who practices a brand of Buddhism that is strongly opposed to any depiction of the Buddha.

Since then, I have become aware of people protesting: the depiction of Buddha in "Buddha Bars", on the packaging of a grocery store noodle dish, a rapper/ musician whose music video showed a Buddha in the background... Seems like the safest choice is to choose not to.
plwk

Post by plwk »

I had an ex Dept Head some time ago who turned his office into what his Duty Managers called it 'Ashram' with a collection of Buddhist and Hindu figurines every corner and smells like an incense store. When one sits facing his desk, one faces not only him but a sizeable Hotei figure...and one can hear chanting CDs on...

In contrast to one Hotel Manager (who's a non Buddhist) I used to work with, his office has one beautiful and inspiring framed Buddha face with a sunset silhouette on the wall just behind his work desk. When asked on why the image, he claims it has a calming effect on all who comes into his office especially on Board meeting days lol

Less is more it seems...
ground

Post by ground »

The best is to have a Buddha image in your mind. Nobody gets upset about it, no dust on it, you have it permanently with you wherever you are and the greatest merit arises from it.

Kind regards
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

Well, my workplace is my home. Does that count?

Om mani padme hum
Keith
ball-of-string

Post by ball-of-string »

plwk wrote:In contrast to one Hotel Manager (who's a non Buddhist) I used to work with, his office has one beautiful and inspiring framed Buddha face with a sunset silhouette on the wall just behind his work desk. When asked on why the image, he claims it has a calming effect on all who comes into his office especially on Board meeting days lol

Less is more it seems...
I heard that Winston Churchill kept a small Buddha statue on the nightstand by his bed. Said he couldn't sleep without it...
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

I put calligraphy on my cubicle's walls. It doesn't necessarily appear as Buddhist unless one reads Chinese. I usually use some Buddhist image as my background picture, although even I don't see it often because of the different windows open.

Baizhang's saying is very good for workplaces:
(one day without work, one day without eating).
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

KeithBC wrote:Well, my workplace is my home. Does that count?

Om mani padme hum
Keith
What if you work at a temple? Is it okay then?
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

Huseng wrote: What if you work at a temple? Is it okay then?
:rolling: LOL! I would hope so!

Om mani padme hum
Keith
Thomas Amundsen

TMingyur wrote:The best is to have a Buddha image in your mind. Nobody gets upset about it, no dust on it, you have it permanently with you wherever you are and the greatest merit arises from it.

Kind regards
For people with weak minds like myself, it is easier to have a Buddha image in my mind if I have an actual physical representation sitting somewhere that I see even when I wasn't previously thinking about it.
Thomas Amundsen

Astus wrote:I put calligraphy on my cubicle's walls. It doesn't necessarily appear as Buddhist unless one reads Chinese. I usually use some Buddhist image as my background picture, although even I don't see it often because of the different windows open.

Baizhang's saying is very good for workplaces:
(one day without work, one day without eating).
Nice :thumbsup:
ground

Post by ground »

tomamundsen wrote:
TMingyur wrote:The best is to have a Buddha image in your mind. Nobody gets upset about it, no dust on it, you have it permanently with you wherever you are and the greatest merit arises from it.

Kind regards
For people with weak minds like myself, it is easier to have a Buddha image in my mind if I have an actual physical representation sitting somewhere that I see even when I wasn't previously thinking about it.
I am in the same position. Of course an outer image is a prerequisite for an inner image ... it takes some effort, but it is worthwhile.

Kind regards
Jechan

Post by Jechan »

That's a good idea :twothumbsup:
If you feel uncomfortable with a blatantly Buddhist image, then something not so obvious like calligraphy.
I've got a Honmon Butsuryu Shu crest on my phone and computer, no one who has seen it knows what it is.
南無妙法蓮華経
Cobotis

Post by Cobotis »

tomamundsen wrote:Hello All,

Not sure if this topic has been covered, as the search engine won't let me search for the word "work" because it is too common. Nor am I sure if this is the appropriate forum...

What are your thoughts on displaying Buddhist images in the workplace? By that, I mean having pictures, statues, flags, whatever, in your cubicle, office, etc.

I don't know... could be a funny form of patriotism.. isn't it ? If not.. then it's just like anything else, neither needed or unneeded.... if it's the song one sings...it's the song one sings...
I am that Iam
gnegirl

Post by gnegirl »

I have a small crystal Buddha a friend of mine got me from Korea. Its a small circle cut in crystal with an image of Buddha Shakyamuni in the middle of the round crystal outline. It sits on top of the computer tower.
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
Madeliaette
Location: Currently in Sussex, England. Formerly in Wollongong, Australia.

Post by Madeliaette »

I doubt I would ever get into a 'regular' 9-5 style job or work outside the home to have to worry about this, but...
Well, my workplace is my home. Does that count?
That is similar for me - since December 2009, I have returned to live in my father's home and take care of him. He is Christian, not Buddhist - so to prevent any upset I placed my Buddhist altar behind the bedside cabinet - that way, I was free to have my own sacred space and he would not see it to become offended.

It is easier still since December 2010, as he now stays on the ground floor only in the converted lounge due to his mobility problems, so i am free to rearrange my room in any way, and could now have my Buddha statue in any position should i choose to change things around. My son has now moved in too on this level, but he is fully aware of my Buddhist practices and although not a Buddhist himself, is not offended by it as he does not practice any specific religion.He is used to my 'little Buddhist corner' from when I lived in Australia with him previous to rushing on over here to look after Dad.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”