Meat Eating Mantras

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Boomerang

Meat Eating Mantras

Post by Boomerang »

I've seen Buddhist organizations post various mantras online that allow you to bless meat before eating it so that your negative karma is diminished and you benefit the animal. The way the mantras are put out in the open gives me the impression that anyone can use them without transmission. Even Sravasti Abbey, which is a vegetarian institution, posted a meat eating mantra on their website.

Am I correct in thinking that these mantras are okay for any person to compassionately use while eating meat? The mani mantra is one of them. Can a person use any old mantra to bless the meat of dead animals?

And if it really is so simple for lay people to make a good connection dead animals, why do some Tibetan Buddhists act like these methods don't exist? Is it a sectarian thing?

http://thubtenchodron.org/2010/04/recitations-morning/
http://www.drukpachoegon.info/rinpoche- ... ating.aspx
https://fpmt.org/wp-content/uploads/edu ... pdf?4e84cd
Malcolm

Re: Meat Eating Mantras

Post by Malcolm »

Boomerang wrote:I've seen Buddhist organizations post various mantras online that allow you to bless meat before eating it so that your negative karma is diminished and you benefit the animal. The way the mantras are put out in the open gives me the impression that anyone can use them without transmission. Even Sravasti Abbey, which is a vegetarian institution, posted a meat eating mantra on their website.

Am I correct in thinking that these mantras are okay for any person to compassionately use while eating meat? The mani mantra is one of them. Can a person use any old mantra to bless the meat of dead animals?

And if it really is so simple for lay people to make a good connection dead animals, why do some Tibetan Buddhists act like these methods don't exist? Is it a sectarian thing?

http://thubtenchodron.org/2010/04/recitations-morning/
http://www.drukpachoegon.info/rinpoche- ... ating.aspx
https://fpmt.org/wp-content/uploads/edu ... pdf?4e84cd
The best mantra to use is the six syllables of Samantabhadra.

Some of these "mantras" are dharanis, which come from sūtra and thus require no transmission.
Lack of confidence in themselves as well as the teachings.
Boomerang

Post by Boomerang »

Malcolm wrote:
A A Ha Sha Sa Ma? A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha? Is that for Dzogchen practioners or for everybody? Are you supposed to say it 3, 7, 21 times, or just once?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Boomerang wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
A A Ha Sha Sa Ma? A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha? Is that for Dzogchen practioners or for everybody? Are you supposed to say it 3, 7, 21 times, or just once?
Both versions are correct. You can say it once or as many times as you like.

When you say it to animals, also it creates a good cause.

It is in fact the Buddhas of the six realms in the form of syllables.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Malcolm wrote:
Boomerang wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Both versions are correct. You can say it once or as many times as you like.

When you say it to animals, also it creates a good cause.

It is in fact the Buddhas of the six realms in the form of syllables.
Is this the best mantra to use with live animals as well? Say you are hiking in the woods and there are all kinds of animals around. Is it best to keep reciting these six syllables? Or would some other practice be more effective?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

tomamundsen wrote:
Is this the best mantra to use with live animals as well? Say you are hiking in the woods and there are all kinds of animals around. Is it best to keep reciting these six syllables? Or would some other practice be more effective?
Yes, it is the BEST mantra in every respect since it is also the condensed version of song of the vajra. Plus, at least in the DC, it has a very nice melody.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Malcolm wrote:
tomamundsen wrote:
Yes, it is the BEST mantra in every respect since it is also the condensed version of song of the vajra. Plus, at least in the DC, it has a very nice melody.
Thank you, Malcolm :anjali:
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

"Some of these "mantras" are dharanis, which come from sūtra and thus require no transmission."

Malcolm, can you please tell us which ones?
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Urgyen Dorje

Post by Urgyen Dorje »

I'm presuming that the six syllables of Samantabhadra is then useful as a very short and abbreviated blessing for animal liberation as well?
kashmir

Post by kashmir »

pemachophel... look up Lama Zopa and lama Yeshe wisdom archives they have lots of materials and mantras which are open for everyone to try... A A HA SHA SA MA is included in those there as well. ..
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

In Nyingma there is definitely a transmission for the A AH ... six syllable Samantabhadra mantra.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

The one mantra given for eating meat is from Manjusri but I do not recall from which sutra. It appears to have some variations from those links but I think the original is:

OM AH VIRA HUNG KINGSHARA MANG SVAHA

It is said in that sutra that if one recites this mantra 7 times, the animal will not be born again as food for others to consume.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Boomerang

Post by Boomerang »

Karma Dorje wrote:The one mantra given for eating meat is from Manjusri but I do not recall from which sutra. It appears to have some variations from those links but I think the original is:

It is said in that sutra that if one recites this mantra 7 times, the animal will not be born again as food for others to consume.
Om ah bira ke chara hung?
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Boomerang wrote:
Karma Dorje wrote:The one mantra given for eating meat is from Manjusri but I do not recall from which sutra. It appears to have some variations from those links but I think the original is:

There is an important teaching here by implication.

Buddhist practitioners in bone fide traditions see clearly that the object of Dharma is to awaken beyond that which leads to rebirth. It is not to achieve some kind of optimum functioning in Samsara.
Just so, being an animal is not a romantic state of grace.
All sentient beings are food for other sentient beings. Including herbivores. All are parasitised. All that escape death by trauma succumb to bacteria or viruses or neoplasms.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Boomerang

Post by Boomerang »

Simon E. wrote:
Boomerang wrote:

There is an important teaching here by implication.

Buddhist practitioners in bone fide traditions see clearly that the object of Dharma is to awaken beyond that which leads to rebirth. It is not to achieve some kind of optimum functioning in Samsara.
Just so, being an animal is not a romantic state of grace.
All sentient beings are food for other sentient beings. Including herbivores. All are parasitised. All that escape death by trauma succumb to bacteria or viruses or neoplasms.
Are devas food for other devas?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Boomerang wrote:
No, they are not, just as humans are not food for other humans.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Malcolm wrote:
Boomerang wrote:
Well historically and even today, humans are food for some other humans.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

kirtu wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Boomerang wrote:
Well historically and even today, humans are food for some other humans.

Kirt
Generally, cannibals don't eat other humans for nutrition, but for power.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Flesh from [someone] born a Brahmin seven times, anyone?
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Malcolm wrote:just as humans are not food for other humans.
Off-topic but when they say rakshasas are cannibals, does it mean they eat each other or just because they're man-eaters?
Last edited by Losal Samten on Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”