Does Chan/Seon/Zen practice mudra?

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
ShineeSeoul

Does Chan/Seon/Zen practice mudra?

Post by ShineeSeoul »

Hi everybody

I did saw video by Chan Monk practicing hand mudra?

so I was wondering if Mudra is practiced in Chan/Seon/Zen?

Video

phpBB [video]
BrianG

Re: Does Chan/Seon/Zen practice mudra?

Post by BrianG »

ShineeSeoul wrote:Hi everybody

Video

phpBB [video]
Mudras are practiced by all three Vehicles, to one extent or another.
Telepaths - I like to kill them
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

It depends on what you mean by "practising mudra". As far as I know, in Chinese Buddhism it is a ritual element of certain ceremonies.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul »

BrianG wrote:
ShineeSeoul wrote:Hi everybody

Video

phpBB [video]
Mudras are practiced by all three Vehicles, to one extent or another.
really? even theravada? what they call it in theravada?
ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul »

Astus wrote:It depends on what you mean by "practising mudra". As far as I know, in Chinese Buddhism it is a ritual element of certain ceremonies.
what they call it? do seon buddhism also use mudras?

I guess zen buddhism they do it
ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul »

Why Mudras always associated with Esoteric Buddhism?
udawa

Post by udawa »

Anjali mudra is common to all Buddhist traditions.
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul »

udawa wrote:Anjali mudra is common to all Buddhist traditions.
I know this one...I mean the moving mudras
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

ShineeSeoul wrote:do seon buddhism also use mudras?
Cosmic or Dhyana mudra is used during sitting meditation practice. That's the most I've ever seen them used, but I've never been to korea myself. :smile:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
Meido

Post by Meido »

Instead of asking if Chan/Zen/Son does xyz, when discussing specific practices it's generally best to ask if such-and-such line of transmission or teacher does. You really never know what you're going to find taken up as supporting practices, depending on the interests and capacities of each line's forebears.

In Zen, I have seen in some Soto kuyo (puja/ceremony) that the chief officiant forms mudras with hands hidden under the kesa. In Rinzai kuyo, I have seen different but related things which I've never witnessed Soto priests doing. In our line here we have a collection of mantra/mudra practices intended for specific situations...but I know for a fact these have their origin in the particular training experience of one of the teachers in our line, so I doubt you'd find them elsewhere. Etc., you get the picture.

~ Meido
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Chinese Chan Buddhism tends to contain elements of practice from other schools, such as chanting the name of Amitabha Buddha. I believe in Richard Payne's book "Tantric Buddhism in East Asian", he suggests that Chinese Chan schools absorbed elements of esoteric Buddhism, adding them to their own practice. As Rev Meido said, how much (or how little) of these esoteric elements are practiced various greatly from temple to temple, teacher to teacher.

As to you question of why mudras are associated with esoteric Buddhism: mudras are practiced as a path to enlightenment in esoteric Buddhism (one of the three vajras - mantras and visualisation/mandala being the other two). In other schools, such as zen, they are seen as part of ritual, not a path to enlightenment.

In gassho,
Seishin
Meido

Post by Meido »

Seishin wrote:In other schools, such as zen, they are seen as part of ritual, not a path to enlightenment.
Just to say that this distinction of ritual vs. path would not be accepted in Zen, due to its understanding of the purpose of kuyo/okyo (beyond generation/dedication of merit, mundane benefits and so on).

Essentially: it is not specific practices that define the Zen path, but rather an approach to practice. This is important to grasp if one is to make sense of statements that Zen is ultimately method-less, a One Vehicle approach transcending the 3 vehicles, not dependent upon texts, not bound by distinctions of exoteric vs. esoteric, etc.

~ Meido
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Meido wrote:
Essentially: it is not specific practices that define the Zen path, but rather an approach to practice. This is important to grasp if one is to make sense of statements that Zen is ultimately method-less, a One Vehicle approach transcending the 3 vehicles, not dependent upon texts, not bound by distinctions of exoteric vs. esoteric, etc.

~ Meido
Thank you Rev Meido, I hadn't considered this. And sadly I lack the linguistics to adequately explain my thoughts.

In gassho,
Seishin
ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul »

seeker242 wrote:
ShineeSeoul wrote:do seon buddhism also use mudras?
Cosmic or Dhyana mudra is used during sitting meditation practice. That's the most I've ever seen them used, but I've never been to korea myself. :smile:
Thank you for the information, I didn't know about this
ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul »

Seishin wrote:Chinese Chan Buddhism tends to contain elements of practice from other schools, such as chanting the name of Amitabha Buddha. I believe in Richard Payne's book "Tantric Buddhism in East Asian", he suggests that Chinese Chan schools absorbed elements of esoteric Buddhism, adding them to their own practice. As Rev Meido said, how much (or how little) of these esoteric elements are practiced various greatly from temple to temple, teacher to teacher.

As to you question of why mudras are associated with esoteric Buddhism: mudras are practiced as a path to enlightenment in esoteric Buddhism (one of the three vajras - mantras and visualisation/mandala being the other two). In other schools, such as zen, they are seen as part of ritual, not a path to enlightenment.

In gassho,
Seishin
Thanks

so thats mean mudra is part of three vajra...but for zen or seon its just ritualistic, rather than about enlightment
ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul »

Meido wrote:
Seishin wrote:In other schools, such as zen, they are seen as part of ritual, not a path to enlightenment.
Just to say that this distinction of ritual vs. path would not be accepted in Zen, due to its understanding of the purpose of kuyo/okyo (beyond generation/dedication of merit, mundane benefits and so on).

~ Meido
is it important to practice mudra in zen or seon? as path enlightment
Meido

Post by Meido »

Seishin wrote:Thank you Rev Meido, I hadn't considered this.
Thanks also to you, Rev Seishin. I appreciate the exchange.
ShineeSeoul wrote:is it important to practice mudra in zen or seon? as path enlightment
If one's Zen teacher transmits practices that involve mudra (or anything else), what is important to know is how to encompass that within the Zen path. That is, to grasp how a practice fulfills one or more of the three general purposes of all practices (from the Zen standpoint): to remove obstructions to recognizing one's nature, and/or to directly point it out, and/or to embody a seamless upwelling of that recognition.

In other words, "Direct pointing at the mind, seeing nature, becoming Buddha".

~ Meido
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

ShineeSeoul wrote:
Thanks

so thats mean mudra is part of three vajra...but for zen or seon its just ritualistic, rather than about enlightment
In esoteric Buddhism it isn't just a ritual, or a prayer or whatever. This is what I'm (inadequately) trying to explain. The three vajras (aka 三密 san mitsu in Japanese) is a direct path to enlightenment.
ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul »

Meido wrote:
Seishin wrote:Thank you Rev Meido, I hadn't considered this.
Thanks also to you, Rev Seishin. I appreciate the exchange.
ShineeSeoul wrote:is it important to practice mudra in zen or seon? as path enlightment
If one's Zen teacher transmits practices that involve mudra (or anything else), what is important to know is how to encompass that within the Zen path. That is, to grasp how a practice fulfills one or more of the three general purposes of all practices (from the Zen standpoint): to remove obstructions to recognizing one's nature, and/or to directly point it out, and/or to embody a seamless upwelling of that recognition.

In other words, "Direct pointing at the mind, seeing nature, becoming Buddha".

~ Meido
thanks...it seems mudra in zen or seon depend highly on the teacher, rather than being essential part of it like in vajrayana for example
ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul »

Seishin wrote:
ShineeSeoul wrote:
Thanks

In esoteric Buddhism it isn't just a ritual, or a prayer or whatever. This is what I'm (inadequately) trying to explain. The three vajras (aka 三密 san mitsu in Japanese) is a direct path to enlightenment.
I understand..Thanks

Return to “Meditation”