Tibetan Calendar

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
plwk

Re: Tibetan Calendar

Post by plwk »

hi, just found this thread here while searching for a tibetan buddhist online calendar. is there a chance for a 2013 edition?
Try this

Btw, just out of curiosity, does anyone know if tsog days are the same across all of the Tibetan Buddhist lineages? Or does it vary from one to another? :thanks:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

gregkavarnos wrote:I'm eagerly looking forward to your new electronic calender Kirt, it's been a great support to my practice!
:namaste:
I will be unable to have an e-calendar ready by Losar as I lost the computer that the previous code was on (the hard drive died). I will see if I have a previous version of the code but the program was also written in Java and that has become a target for attacks and I do not want to potentially subject anyone to hacking. The recent zero-day exploits seem to affect Java 7 only so anything in Java 6 should be okay and all previous versions were Java 6. So I could probably have a minimal version running by Losar.

Another issue is that I was forced to leave the DC area and am destitute. Hopefully temp work will come in but my current temp work has fallen to ~ 6 hrs a week and I need 15-20 to build my cash reserves back up (or 40-80 but that isn't happening). So I am facing very difficult times right now. I have said on FB and privately that the holy beings have abandoned me and this seems to me to be very true. The outworking of karma has always been mixed for me but the past 3.5 years have been disastrous.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Nobody has abandoned you kirtu. You know that! :smile: Karma is not the whim of holy beings, it is 100% ours.

My HD crashed recently taking 300Gb of Dharma music, books and videos with it. I have been un/underemployed for longer than I can remember. Is this the holy ones abandoning me too? Shiiiiiiit, if it was like that then they have abandoned over 90% of the worlds population. No my friend, it's just karma. Do your best. Don't beat yourself up. Maybe it'll work out. Maybe it'll get worse. Your mind is still yours to work with, regardless of the circumstances.
(19) When the things we require for daily consumption
And use, fall apart or are wasted or spoilt,
This is the wheel of sharp weapons returning
Full circle upon us from wrongs we have done.
Till now we’ve been careless with others’ possessions;
Hereafter let’s give them whatever they need.
(21) When our minds are disturbed and we feel great frustration
That things never happen the way that we wish,
This is the wheel of sharp weapons returning
Full circle upon us from wrongs we have done.
Till now we have caused interfering disturbance
When others were focused on virtuous acts;
Hereafter let’s stop causing such interruption.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Special Days

Post by kirtu »

This Monday, 25 Feb (tomorrow) is Chotrul Duchen, Miracle Day, the end of the first two weeks of the Tibetan Buddhist calendar and the final day on which Shakyamuni Buddha is said to have engaged in a contest of miracles with non-Buddhist sages (no other tradition has this contest recorded to my knowledge). Merit (and demerit) is said to be multiplied 10 million times so please practice well.

It would be a good time to observe the Eight Mahayana Precepts. As it is a full moon, it is also a traditional day on which to do Shakyamuni Buddha practice.

Kirt

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

plwk

Post by plwk »

Happy Chotrul Duchen to all :namaste:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

We have just begin the 3rd month of the Tibetan calendar (today is the second day). In 13 days on 3/15 (April 25th) is the anniversary of Shakyamuni Buddha teaching the Kalachakra. Merit/demerit is multiplied 100,000 times.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Today is the Kalachakra Wheel Turing Day and there is a lunar eclipse on top of that. Merit and demerit are multiplied 10,000 times.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Today, June 8, 2013, is the last day of the Saga Dawa month! Merit and demerit are multiplied at least 100 times. Tulku Bardor mentions in his excellent book "Rest for the Fortunate", pg. 78:
On the thirtieth day, which is the new moon day in the Tibetan calendar, the god Brahma comes to earth. If you recite the name of Buddha Shakyamuni and his mantra then, you can purify the wrongdoings of a thousand eons and be freed from rebirth in the hell where beings get crushed into fragments.
Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Today 16 June, 2013 is the 8th day, 5th month 2140 Water Snake year.

The 8th day (first quarter waxing moon) was said by HH Thrulshik Rinpoche to be one of the Buddha remembrance days and is an excellent day to do Shakyamuni Buddha sadhana and/or mantra.

On Tibetan calendars it is also the traditional day for Medicine Buddha practice.

From "Rest for the Fortunate" by Bardor Tulku Rinpoche pg 76:
On the eight day of any lunar month, the deva known as Dechen comes to visit earth to examine the longevity of humans. If you supplicate or recite the name of the Medicine Buddha and recite his mantra, you will purify thirty eons worth of wrongdoing.
Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Nilasarasvati
Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Post by Nilasarasvati »

Why is this day also associated with Tara practice? Why is Tara practice associated with Riwo Sangcho? Sorry these are really basic questions but I'm doing them today so I figured I should ask :P
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Nilasarasvati wrote:Why is this day also associated with Tara practice? Why is Tara practice associated with Riwo Sangcho? Sorry these are really basic questions but I'm doing them today so I figured I should ask :P
I don't know why it is also associated with Tara practice (saw that on the FPMT calendar). I haven't noticed that Tara is associated with Riwo Sangchod. Merit would be multiplied today so maybe that's part of it.

Tara is also practiced everyday in Tibetan Buddhist monasteries.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Nilasarasvati
Location: Trāyastriṃśa. Just kidding. What a cool sanksrit word, huh?

Post by Nilasarasvati »

Hm. All I know is, most astrological calendars list the 8th day of the lunar month as especially for Tara and Menla. One also says it's Mahakala day. One, probably the most detailed, labels the 8th as "healing" day.
plwk

Post by plwk »

Happy Guru Rinpoche Day
plwk

Post by plwk »

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Sunday 24 November, 2013 is the last duchen day in this year. This day is Lha Bab Duechen, Descent from Heaven Day, the day that Shakyamuni Buddha returned from the Heaven of the 33 where he had gone to teach Dharma to his mother Mahamaya and dewas.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Today is the full moon, and also the anniversary of Jigme Phuntsok Rinpoche. _/\_

And then on this Sunday, the 19th of January it is the anniversary of the mahaparinirvana of HH Dudjom Rinpoche, the regent of Guru Rinpoche who showed us such vast kindness, and whose light continues to radiate wisdom blessings through space. It is a great day to do Guru Yoga, tsok offering, etc.

Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Eclipses in October:

8 October - partial lunar eclipse in North America. Totality is supposed to be visible on the East Coast prior to sunup at around 7 am.

23 October - partial solar eclipse visible all over North America except New England in the afternoon but esp. visible on the West Coast.

Remember that merit and demerit are multiplied during eclipses.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Lhabab Duechen, Descent from Heaven Day and the last major holy day of the religious year until Losar, falls on 13 November, 2014. Merit or demerit is said to be multiplied ten million times.

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Small calender with practice days that I slapped together.

I have not included main events.

The naga days are based on the Kalachakra calender dates as per Lama Dawa. I give only the most auspicious days.

The numbers in the Buddha Shakyamuni days shows which Tibetan month begins on that date.

I have also not included the minor dharmapala days which fall between Sangye Menla and Guru Rinpoche day.

Oh yeah, Sangye Menla day is also Tara day...
2015 Lunar Calendar 2.jpg
2015 Lunar Calendar 2.jpg (395.44 KiB) Viewed 18368 times
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Wayfaring_Man

Post by Wayfaring_Man »

For Android phone havers, the Drukpa lineage has just released their calendar as an app. It can read 15 days ahead for free, or indefinitely with a subscription.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... d.calendar
Wouldn't it be best to resolve to be done with business and distraction?
Although you serve your superiors, they will never be pleased.
Although you care for your subordinates, they will never be satisfied.
Although you consider the wishes of others with affection, they will never give you a thought.
Think about it, make a definite choice.
~ Patrul Rinpoche, "The Heart Treasure of the Enlightened Ones"

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”