Yangsi Kalu Rinpoche's Marriage

Schrödinger’s Yidam

Kalu R. gets married.

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

E-mail from Lama Palden of Sukhasiddhi Foundation:

Dear Spiritual Friends,

I am writing to you from Taragrah ("Tara's home"), the hotel we are staying at that is near Sherab Ling, Situ Rinpoche's monastery and nunnery. We saw Rinpoche yesterday and were fortunate to have a long, joyful conversation with him. We are meant to see him again tomorrow.

The reason I'm writing is to let you all know that Kalu Rinpoche got married last Friday in Kathmandu.

He has been courting his now wife for over a year and in the photos of him, as you will see, he looks so happy. She is called Mingyur, but I don't know her full name. Her father is Chokling Tersar Rinpoche, the second son of Urgyen Tulku. His elder brother is Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche and his younger brothers are Tsok Nyi and Mingyur Rinpoches. Her brothers are Phakchok Rinpoche and the Yantsi tulku Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

Our beloved Kalu Rinpoche has been building a house for them near one of his monasteries in India.

We wish them profound happiness, love and for their activity for sentient beings to flourish!

all my love,

Lama Palden
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
plwk

Re: Kalu R. gets married.

Post by plwk »

I first spotted this news but without much details on Rinpoche's FB page where some days ago and recently 2 comments were congratulating him on his marriage and new wife. May Rinpoche and his spouse have a fruitful wedded bliss and life.
Palzang Jangchub

Yangsi Kalu Rinpoche's Marriage

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

So apparently Yangsi Kalu Rinpoche recently got married to Mingyur Paldon (sister of Yangsi Dilgo Khyentse and daughter of Chokling Rinpoche).

Does this mean he will be a Repa/Yogi, and no longer a celibate monk? Or will it be a situation similar to the 15th Karmapa, who had a consort who gave birth to 2nd Jamgön Kongtrul Rinpoche?

Any students of the 1st Kyabjé Kalu Rinpoche, or of Yangsi Kalu, care to chime in?

Discuss. :popcorn: :coffee:

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
DGA
Former staff member

Re: Yangsi Kalu Rinpoche's Marriage

Post by DGA »

Two threads on the same topic have been merged.

--the mod
heart

Post by heart »

Chokling Rinpoche as his father-in-law seems pretty auspicious. Feels like something good.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
lisehull

Post by lisehull »

He decided not to become a celibate monk when he came out of his three year retreat.
:namaste:
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

I've known about this for almost a year now and sincerely wish them well. I hope there are not too many political implications and motives to sour things.
"It's not ok to practice Dharma sometimes, just when you feel like it. You have to practice all the time" - Lama Rigzin Rinpoche.
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

lisehull wrote:He decided not to become a celibate monk when he came out of his three year retreat.
:namaste:
Thank you for clarifying, Lise. Best wishes for the new couple!

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Punya

Re: Kalu R. gets married.

Post by Punya »

smcj wrote:E-mail from Lama Palden of Sukhasiddhi Foundation:

Dear Spiritual Friends,

I am writing to you from Taragrah ("Tara's home"), the hotel we are staying at that is near Sherab Ling, Situ Rinpoche's monastery and nunnery. We saw Rinpoche yesterday and were fortunate to have a long, joyful conversation with him. We are meant to see him again tomorrow.

The reason I'm writing is to let you all know that Kalu Rinpoche got married last Friday in Kathmandu.

He has been courting his now wife for over a year and in the photos of him, as you will see, he looks so happy. She is called Mingyur, but I don't know her full name. Her father is Chokling Tersar Rinpoche, the second son of Urgyen Tulku. His elder brother is Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche and his younger brothers are Tsok Nyi and Mingyur Rinpoches. Her brothers are Phakchok Rinpoche and the Yantsi tulku Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

Our beloved Kalu Rinpoche has been building a house for them near one of his monasteries in India.

We wish them profound happiness, love and for their activity for sentient beings to flourish!

all my love,

Lama Palden
How wonderful. What an auspicious union! :bow:
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
narraboth

Post by narraboth »

Just saw on his facebook:

My dear friends,

From all over the world many of you have sent to me so many warm and encouraging messages about my separation since August last year. I wanted to thank you all with gratitude and warmths. Thank you so much for your support and love...

With all my love and respect. Kalurimpoche

Not sure what does 'separation' mean, but his status on facebook is single now.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

"Separation" is just as it sounds. He has separated from his wife.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Tongnyid Dorje

Post by Tongnyid Dorje »

and around the marriage he use to predict, whos tulku will be born to them... strange...

anyway, im bit sceptical about him.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Hi all, I think now is a good time to remind everyone about Dharma Wheel's idea of Right Speech and Enlightened Discussion. I don't think anyone here has crossed over the line yet, but I'd like to nip this in the bud before some harsh gossip starts. Also, please remember that you're in the Kagyu sub-forum.

:thanks:

:focus:
narraboth

Post by narraboth »

The topic is Kalu Rinpoche's marriage, so I guess we are quite on the topic...

There is a new comment post from said to be a close friend of Ms Mingyur (his ex wife) under the facebook post, offering another side of story. I won't copy and paste to here considering there might be Rinpoche's students here (and if you are his student with vajrayana vow I suggest you not to read it, for your own mind and vow).

Rinpoche didn't delete it, but simply responsed under it like 'thank you but please change your FACT'.
I suggested Rinpoche to offer his side of fact.

It's all openly available on his facebook, not a secret gossip or anything.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

narraboth wrote:The topic is Kalu Rinpoche's marriage, so I guess we are quite on the topic...
Yes, you are. I meant "back to topic" from my own off-topic meta-discussion. Everyone here is on topic. Discussing his separation is on topic. I am just trying to encourage people to be respectful with their comments on this situation.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

It's on Facebook......frankly, I think that's where it should stay, IMO. I'm not interested in discussing it here. (or on FB, for that matter!). But whatever. If others want to discuss, within the bounds of our TOS, have at it.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

conebeckham wrote:It's on Facebook......frankly, I think that's where it should stay, IMO. I'm not interested in discussing it here. (or on FB, for that matter!). But whatever. If others want to discuss, within the bounds of our TOS, have at it.
Kids these days...
narraboth

Post by narraboth »

Oh, there are many meaningful things related to this (in general, 'tulku's marriage') can be discussed. Like the concept of 'marrige' in Tibetan culture compare to Western's, how much it based on the person's backgroud rather than knowing the person, and (not in this case but in many cases) when a female student becoming a male teacher's wife. As a Tibetan Buddhist, I was asked by non-Tibetan Buddhists a lot (and many of them are Chinese Buddhists) on this topic. I wouldn't say I was embarrassed, but I simply can't defend for all what had happened (probably no need to defend anyway). But well, who am I to judge.

By the way, Kalu Rinpoche deleted that 'ex-wife's best friend' comment several hours ago, as well as another comment which I thought was quite neutural: someone simply mentioned how Kyabje Dudjom Rinpoche gave everything to his first wife when separated, and encouraged Kalu Rinpoche to think of the benefit of the child more. I believe Ms Mingyur would get enough support from her own family to raise the child, so it should be fine. Anyway, very best wishes for the three individuals in this previously well-greeted marriage.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I think, a divorce is always a sad business.
That's why I think, any seemingly smug comments are inappropriate here.
(I removed some posts.)
Natan

Post by Natan »

It's hilarious when it's on FB. I met a chica in Asia who insisted I post our photos on FB. I got annoyed by the public display of everything all the time. I guess I'm a GenX. One day I deleted our photos. She posted, "I'm single!" This is marriage and divorce on FB. Lol. Bride and groom, you may now update your relationship status.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.

Return to “Kagyu”