Qi Gong reading recommendations

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
Vasana

Qi Gong reading recommendations

Post by Vasana »

Can anyone point me in the direction of some well regarded qi-gong books,manuals etc.

I'm looking for practices and methods that are simple to apply ,mostly sitting practices and any standing movements that can be learnt from clrar descriptions and illustrations alone. Breathing and visualisation work welcome, so long as it has a traditional basis.

I practice some hatha and yantra yoga so im familiar with prana and its functions to a degree and would like to study qi-gong methods and theory to inform and enhance my overall practice.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Russell

Re: Qi Gong reading recommendations

Post by Russell »

You can find theory and guided practises on all that you asked for here:
http://www.energyarts.com/free-tai-chi
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Soar wrote:You can find theory and guided practises on all that you asked for here:
http://www.energyarts.com/free-tai-chi
Thanks Soar, I'll check those out. Ideally looking to work with physical books but the pdfs on that site should work on my e-reader with any luck.
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Russell

Post by Russell »

Have a look around the website and you will see he has tons of info on there, physical books, dvds, online courses, and various levels of trained instructors worldwide. Also you can buy his books on amazon.
Qing Tian

Post by Qing Tian »

There are a myriad of practices and guides. Usually, for people starting out, I recommend The Way of Energy by Lam Kam Chuen. It's an easy read, simple to follow and doesn't bog the reader down with too much theory.

If you want something more in depth then you could try The Healing Light of the Tao by Mantak Chia.

I would also highly recommend watching the YouTube series on Zhan Zhuang https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y07FauHYlmg also by Lam Kam Chuen.

Further, the world of qigong can be a little confusing, so it is worth reading around and using sites like YouTube to get a flavour of what's out there and what may appeal to you.

Edit: Although I have a book by Bruce Frantzis, I am not a big fan of his marketing strategies or the very high prices he demands for his courses.
“Not till your thoughts cease all their branching here and there, not till you abandon all thoughts of seeking for something, not till your mind is motionless as wood or stone, will you be on the right road to the Gate.”
Saoshun

Post by Saoshun »

What type of Qigong you looking for? medical, meditative, balancing-grounding? I practiced tons of Qigong and some of them works great.

There is a lot of qigong systems are there are hindu gods.

do not touch mantak chia works, it's joke. You must remember qigong is limited to post-natal Qi which means you need to hold your ejaculations off and be in celibacy if you really want be efficient.
Qing Tian

Post by Qing Tian »

Strong words there, especially as Chia is quite well-regarded by many, even over on the highly critical site of The Dao Bums, and I did say the book was for those looking to read deeper into theory.

Another option is the books and videos by Dr. Yang, Jwing-ming.

Personally I am practitioner of the so-called internal martial arts - specifically TJQ and LHBF. These are a form of qigong on their own, but I also like to include a version of the Yi Jin Jing in my day, as well as regular Zhan Zhuang. These suit my purposes and are a good balance for my sitting meditation.
“Not till your thoughts cease all their branching here and there, not till you abandon all thoughts of seeking for something, not till your mind is motionless as wood or stone, will you be on the right road to the Gate.”
Saoshun

Post by Saoshun »

Not really, I just researched much on this topic and mantiak chia is rather non traditional, Vasana spoke about traditional ways (traditional = working) to practice Qigong.

I would say zhang zhuang are the best for someone who practice sitting meditation because sitting meditation provokes leak of jing that's why chan people have much "dry" face.
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

If one is really serious about learning and practising qigong, eventually studying the classic Huangdi Neijing is a must:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huangdi_Neijing

It will also equip you with telling genuine qigong schools/methods from the not-so-genuine ones.
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
AlexMcLeod

Post by AlexMcLeod »

My teacher's books are the best I've read. You can find his stuff at www.shaolin.org
Relax! Smile From The Heart!
There is a difference between the Mundane and the Transcendental. If you purposefully confuse them, I will ignore you, you nihilist.
There is no Emotion, there is Peace. There is no Ignorance, there is Knowledge. There is no Passion, there is Serenity. There is no Death, there is the Force.
Qing Tian

Post by Qing Tian »

Kaji wrote:If one is really serious about learning and practising qigong, eventually studying the classic Huangdi Neijing is a must:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huangdi_Neijing

It will also equip you with telling genuine qigong schools/methods from the not-so-genuine ones.

Good luck with that! A high degree of Chinese literacy will be required. :sage:
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

My favorites:

http://ymaa.com/publishing/books/qigong ... t_of_youth

http://www.amazon.com/The-Way-Energy-Ma ... 0671736450

The second book is exceptionally light on theory, it is just basic Zhan Zhaung posture and instruction, but it's really good IMO.

The first one has the actual classics and is a good read, though it is not from the PoV of a spiritual practitioner necessarily.

I also liked the Manta Chia book Iron Shirt Chi Kung I and got a lot out of it.

EDIT; I see QT already recommended the same stuff I did basically, sorry!
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Saoshun

Post by Saoshun »

Don't bother with the first book which Johnny suggest as it's not complete and misunderstanding, you will need very good teacher for supplementation. second book is very good on it's own.
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

Qing Tian wrote:
Kaji wrote:If one is really serious about learning and practising qigong, eventually studying the classic Huangdi Neijing is a must:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huangdi_Neijing

Hence the word "eventually" in my original sentence. :smile:

There are many Chinese materials in the modern version of the language interpreting the classic text.

Are there English ones as well?
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Saoshun wrote:Don't bother with the first book which Johnny suggest as it's not complete and misunderstanding, you will need very good teacher for supplementation. second book is very good on it's own.

It's commentary and translation of the actual external and internal classics. It's not written from the point of view of a spiritual practitioner specifically, but it's quite good. Anyone can learn the Yi Jin Jing, including from that book, it is a simple set of exercises and instructions. If it isn't sufficient, JWM has another "practical", shorter book on the Yi Jin Jing as well.

-Khunu Lama
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone. 'The Way of Energy' seems like it could be a good place for me to start.

I'm actually also quite interested in the theoretical side of it, including the mechanics of chi,jing shen, meridians and acupressure points etc and how to apply them and learn their influences. In short, i like knowing how it all works, rather than just being told that doing x will have y effect etc Does that mean i'm gravitating towards the 'medical' side of things?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Vasana wrote:Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone. 'The Way of Energy' seems like it could be a good place for me to start.

I'm actually also quite interested in the theoretical side of it, including the mechanics of chi,jing shen, meridians and acupressure points etc and how to apply them and learn their influences. In short, i like knowing how it all works, rather than just being told that doing x will have y effect etc Does that mean i'm gravitating towards the 'medical' side of things?

I don't think so, but i'd again go for the YWM book that has the actual translations of the classics, it has all that theory of Kan, Li..etc. As well as the basic difference between the Buddhist and Daoist approaches.

My understanding is that the medical, martial, spiritual thing is more about why you are applying them, and the categories overlap anyway.

For instance, in the Zhan Zhaung book, one of the basic postures "holding the tree" is used in a ton of martial arts, and develops some vital abilities there. It is also (afaik) used in medical/health and spiritual qigong. In practice, I don't think there is always a clear cut division between the categories.

-Khunu Lama
Saoshun

Post by Saoshun »

Vasana wrote:Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone. 'The Way of Energy' seems like it could be a good place for me to start.

http://www.all-dao.com (look on article "Why people die" and other stuff to understand general theory plus book which I suggester lower)

and get book Taoist Yoga, it will answer all your questions and needs.

also how it works you will find in any basic traditional chinese medicine book or articles.

ALSO you need to get this book it's actually answer your questions perfectly.

http://www.amazon.com/Resurrecting-Canc ... 143431152X
Qing Tian

Post by Qing Tian »

Kaji wrote:
Qing Tian wrote:

Hence the word "eventually" in my original sentence. :smile:

There are many Chinese materials in the modern version of the language interpreting the classic text.

Are there English ones as well?

There are many, many (I would say most) native Chinese speakers who are unable to interpret or understand Huangdi neijing suwen. Suggesting that a Westerner would be able to bridge the historical language gap is grossly unrealistic. There is a reason why the Yellow Emperor's book has never been fully or even satisfactorily translated into English (or any other language AFAIK).

When I spoke of a high degree of Chinese literacy I was speaking about an academic level beyond the scope of majority of people.

As for Dr. Yang, I agree with Johnny D. He doesn't claim to be an expert but rather an explorer of the texts.

There's often a great deal of territorialism that goes on in the world of CMA and other qigong practices. Mostly it is misplaced, as all utilise the same concepts, even if their intentions differ. Someone who understands well the principles will be able to successfully explore many styles.

Further strengthening opinion, the Way of Energy may seem like a simple book and yet it is this simplicity that leads to the profound effects of the practice too.

To the OP: in order to achieve understanding in qigong: 1.) you must follow the instructions (whether by direct teaching or through texts) with diligence, and 2.) you must have a high level of adherence to the practice.

I mention this because for Westerners, dropping out early is exceptionally common. With Zhan Zhuang it can take quite a while before the beginning of understanding arises. You have to stick with it day in and day out.

Some people are more drawn to external movement than internal. Being a mover I didn't think I would like ZZ, but over time it has grown on me and now I like it whole lot! Try several types of qigong, find one that resonates in some way, stick with it and explore.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Yep, with Holding the Tree or Holding the Belly (which i've gotten instruction in both from martial arts teacher and from texts) I found that to get a real effect from the practice I had to do at least 20 or so minutes a day, bare minimum. That's 20 minutes of standing still, sounds easy, but it ain't..not by a long shot. If I could still squeeze it in alongside meditation I would, it's a fantastic practice.

I also found starting it similar to when I began to meditate, with a long period of wondering" uhh..is this doing something" before things settle down and there's no doubt it's doing something.

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”