Dragon kings daughter

robban

Dragon kings daughter

Post by robban » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:48 pm

I often read and hear that the Lotus sutra teaches us that enlightenment are for us all, whether you are a male or female.
But when the dragon kings daughter become enlightened
she first turns into a man.
What does that really tells us?

"At that time the members of the assembly all saw the dragon girl in the space of an instant change into a man and carry out all the practices of a bodhisattva, immediately proceeding to the Spotless World of the south, taking a seat on a jeweled lotus, and attaining impartial and correct enlightenment."
English is not my first language

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: Dragon kings daughter

Post by Queequeg » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:25 pm

Revisiting the Dragon Princess
That she urges them to employ their supernatural power makes it clear that what happens next takes place as a vision, a vision she prepares as an expedient means to help them see what Mañjusrī has already told them: that there is a perfect wisdom of enlightenment within a small girl of the dragon race

At that time everyone in the Buddha’s assembly saw, within an instant flicker of time, the Dragon Princess transform herself into a man, complete all his bodhisattva practices, travel to the Spotless World in the south, sit on the jeweled lotus seat, realize the complete unsurpassed Bodhi, have his body adorned with thirty-two major and eighty minor auspicious marks, and preach the exquisite dharma [of the Lotus Sutra] for all sentient beings in the ten directions. At that time in our Sahā World, all bodhisattvas, śrāvakas, heavenly beings, and dragons in the eight tribes, humans and nonhumans alike, saw in the furthest distance that the Dragon Princess attained Buddhahood and broadly preached the Dharma. They all gave rise to great bliss in their minds and sent their reverence to her in a far distant land.
(emphasis added)
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

robban

Post by robban » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:51 pm

Interesting reading(got to this part):

"The vision manifested by the Dragon Princess should be understood in the same way as the Goddess’ sex change. As Zhiyi made clear, the princess did not need to abandon her body and take up another body, even if it were the body of a Buddha. However, to emancipate Accumulated Wisdom and Śāriputra from their biases and limitations, as an expedient means, she kindly manifested a vision of her attaining Buddhahood in the manner they are able to understand and “swallow” even with their imperfect abilities."

robban

Post by robban » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:56 pm

Thanks Queequeg! I really enjoy reading your inputs.
Your knowledge and inputs on Dharmawheel is really important to me (and to others).

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:08 pm

:cheers:
I aim to please!
:smile:
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

rory

Post by rory » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:43 am

This was so important ( I couldn't believe the literal fundamentalist reading by many on DW of this story in the Can Women Become Buddha's thread) I put it in my sig:
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
Zhiyi also specifically chose this chapter (since there were different editions floating around of the Lotus Sutra, some without the Devadatta chapter) to comment upon. It's that important a point.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:27 am

1382336250-345894864.jpg
1382336250-345894864.jpg (74.68 KiB) Viewed 878 times

Return to “Nichiren”