DW Reader's Choice Awards?

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
Luke

DW Reader's Choice Awards?

Post by Luke »

I just had the idea recently that since Dharma Wheel has gotten much bigger, maybe there should be something like "Dharma Wheel Readers' Choice Awards"! :D Lots of other websites for various interests (computers, travel, etc.) have their own readers' choice awards, so it's a common thing to do.

By having categories like "Western Buddhist monk of the year," "Western Buddhist nun of the year," "Dharma Center of the Year," etc., Dharma Wheel could draw attention to the good work of ordained and lay Buddhists who often go unrecognized.

What do you site administrators and fellow members think of the idea of having annual Dharma Wheel Awards?

And one of you could design the look of the awards... Perhaps they could be like Oscars in the shape of Avalokitesvara in a standing pose? :D hehe

If the Dharma Wheel Awards get more popular, then it could eventually become a real event, like some Buddhist Oscars ceremony or something... hehe

Vasana

Re: DW Reader's Choice Awards?

Post by Vasana »

And the 2016 Golden-Lotus award for "terrible ideas" gos to....
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Alternatively, it might be worthwhile to establish a means for DW members to mark topics that are noteworthy or particularly valuable.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Since I had to observe in a small forum, how childish and irresponsible old Buddhists can handle Likes and Dislikes, I'm not at all fond anymore of any ideas dealing with such a voting system. Too much unfair politics can be done with it.
Only my humble opinion as a member.
Greg

Post by Greg »

If it was limited to books it might be less contentious, and also serve to provide some much needed exposure to underappreciated work.
Redfaery

Post by Redfaery »

One forum I frequent has a user "reputation" system. There were many checks and balances in place to prevent abuse, but somehow people still managed to abuse it. My best friend received a downvote on one of her posts. Since the downvotes had to come with feedback...it did. An anonymous note calling her something I can't write on this forum.

So yeah, I'm not in favor.
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - GANDHI
I am a delicate feminine flower!!!!
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Greg wrote:If it was limited to books it might be less contentious, and also serve to provide some much needed exposure to underappreciated work.
Sounds like a good idea.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Redfaery wrote:One forum I frequent has a user "reputation" system. There were many checks and balances in place to prevent abuse, but somehow people still managed to abuse it. My best friend received a downvote on one of her posts. Since the downvotes had to come with feedback...it did. An anonymous note calling her something I can't write on this forum.
Yes, I don't like the idea of a reputation system either. Egos get big enough on forums as is without any reputation points. hehe

My idea was just to bring attention to Buddhists and Buddhist organizations who are doing good work in the real world.
Greg wrote:If it was limited to books it might be less contentious, and also serve to provide some much needed exposure to underappreciated work.
Yeah, that could be a good starting point.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Under Media we already have a Book Reviews forum. All one need do is start a thread "Five Best Dzogchen Books" or "Five Best Pure Land Books" - etcetera. Then those who have their own favorites in the respective categories can list them.

No voting, but a pattern may emerge.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Nicholas Weeks wrote:Under Media we already have a Book Reviews forum. All one need do is start a thread "Five Best Dzogchen Books" or "Five Best Pure Land Books" - etcetera. Then those who have their own favorites in the respective categories can list them.

No voting, but a pattern may emerge.
That's true, but I guess the point of my idea of having some yearly article announcing Dharma Wheel awards or a physical ceremony for presenting them is to increase their prestige and to increase the excitement about them, and not just to have them as just another thread on the forum.

Perhaps I was also hoping to push the Dharma Wheel forum more into the media spotlight and to create some "buzz" about it... hehe
Luke

Post by Luke »

To flesh out my idea a bit more, if Dharma Wheel Awards existed, I would nominate someone like Ken Holmes for a Dharma Wheel Life-time Achievement Award (for western Buddhists) because he has dedicated his whole life to studying, translating, and teaching dharma. No doubt, there are many other such people out there, but it would be nice to draw attention to some people like Ken who have achieved a great deal, but who aren't yet household names in the western Buddhist community.

http://www.samyeling.org/about/buddhism ... en-holmes/

Also, it would be nice to recognize dharma teachers who have achieved a lot in other traditions, such as Pure Land, etc.
Redfaery

Post by Redfaery »

Luke wrote:Perhaps I was also hoping to push the Dharma Wheel forum more into the media spotlight and to create some "buzz" about it... hehe
Why?
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - GANDHI
I am a delicate feminine flower!!!!
Luke

Post by Luke »

Redfaery wrote:
Luke wrote:Perhaps I was also hoping to push the Dharma Wheel forum more into the media spotlight and to create some "buzz" about it... hehe
Why?
Hmm... that's actually a very good question.

I guess the answer is that I see the increasing popularity of this forum as an opportunity to form another Buddhist organization with enough social power to have some positive impact on the world and to represent Buddhism positively in the media.

Buddhism is still very much a minority religion in the west and I think we should take every reasonable opportunity to promote it in a positive way. :)

Return to “Suggestion Box”