Alright ...

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
analogmentality

Alright ...

Post by analogmentality » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:43 pm

:anjali:

Not-girly lesbian trans womyn (men and straight womyn have never been into me, and vice versa). Trying to see if Buddhism nowadays is nice to me. All the philosophical basics are there, I meditate with samadhi as goal ... if it weren't for those pesky gender-politics issues, you know, this wouldn't be complicated.

I'm from Native (Choctaw) relatives enough to be obvious. So many pre-colonial-Choctaw/Tibetan parallels, it's not a leap to Vajrayana. Also I'm Jewish, for more Tibetan parallels (diaspora).

I was so far in denial I was a semester away from a Southern Baptist seminary, when an intro to philosophy class hit my Calvinist theology with the Buddhist basics, Nietzsche, and Mary Daly (radical feminist) at once. When you grow up a shut-in in Texas with a Bible as your only really allowable book, this is a reality check that takes years of obsessive processing to finish.

I've been homeless and welfare-housed long enough in life to report that the Pali nun's 311 (don't have access to any other code) is pristine, to the letter, as a survival guide, even the most controversial points. I can't say I'm close to a keen observer of it, just that I know I've paid in safety and sanity for every little last infraction.

My life was emotional Hell, I have a therapist. That's about it really. Ask any questions you like.

:anjali:

Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Alright ...

Post by Grigoris » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:18 pm

Welcome! I am sure you will find plenty here to distress you and some stuff to lift your spirits too!

Don't be scared to use the report button! ;)
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

smcj

Post by smcj » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:29 pm

Welcome. I hope you find comfort here.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.
2. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

analogmentality

Post by analogmentality » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:55 pm

Thank you both :smile:

Redfaery

Post by Redfaery » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:20 am

Welcome. :)
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - GANDHI
I am a delicate feminine flower!!!!

Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:22 am

May you find the happiness you seek in the three jewels :smile: welcome!
Then, the Licchavi Vimalakīrti spoke to the elder Śāriputra and the great disciples: “Reverends, eat of the food of the Tathāgata! It is ambrosia perfumed by the great compassion. But do not fix your minds in narrow-minded attitudes, lest you be unable to receive its gift.”

- Chapter 9, The Feast Brought by the Emanated Incarnation
The Noble Mahāyāna Sūtra “The Teaching of Vimalakīrti”

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:24 pm

Namaste; and welcome!
There are many people who care very much about Dharma, and helping each other on the path --
Sending you the very best;
With many wishes for happiness,
Thank you for being here and may your day be filled with light and dharma support
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

analogmentality

Post by analogmentality » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:57 am

An :anjali: to everyone, thank you! :smile:

Update: finally accepted metta as a principle, everything else seems to fall in place after that. So, Buddhist now.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:21 am

analogmentality wrote:An :anjali: to everyone, thank you! :smile:

Update: finally accepted metta as a principle, everything else seems to fall in place after that. So, Buddhist now.
Well, that was easy then, wasn't it? :smile:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:36 am

analogmentality wrote:An :anjali: to everyone, thank you! :smile:

:twothumbsup:
The other three Brahmaviharas complement metta, and you may like to get better acquainted with them, especially upekkha, before too long.
Here's one starting point - http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el006.html - and here's another - http://www.buddhanet.net/mettab5.htm

:namaste:
Kim

analogmentality

Post by analogmentality » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:23 am

Kim O'Hara wrote: :twothumbsup:
The other three Brahmaviharas complement metta, and you may like to get better acquainted with them, especially upekkha, before too long.
Here's one starting point - http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el006.html - and here's another - http://www.buddhanet.net/mettab5.htm

:namaste:
Kim
Upekkha is my older friend, from the Encheiridion of Epictetus. We reunite in the original context.

@Sherab Dorje: Haha I guess it was time :smile:

Return to “Introductions”