Dzogchen Longde Tantras

Rinchen Dorje

Dzogchen Longde Tantras

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Does anyone know if any of the Longde Tantras have been translated into English? and if so where a person could find them? Was specifically thinking of Longchen Rabjam Gyalpo/ཀློང་ཆེན་རབ་འབྱམས་རྒྱལ་པོ and 'Kunto Zangpo Namkhache/ ཀུན་ཏུ་བཟང་པོ་ནམ་མཁའ་ཆེ
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Lhug-Pa

Re: Dzogchen Longde Tantras

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Don't know if this helps much, but I believe that Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche's Cycle of Day and Night is a Mengagde text containing pith instructions on Longde Dzogchen teachings. It also lists in its notes some very important Dzogchen Tantras as well.
Josef

Post by Josef »

I dont know if any that have been translated in their entirety.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Pero

Post by Pero »

Jim Valby has translated the ninth chapter from Longchen Rabjam Gyalpo (chapter on the mandala), it's in "Two Dzogchen Texts". But other than that I don't think there's anything else in English.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

And that's a pity. :(
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

time has passed so I thought I would recheck...
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

I found these. Dont know how good the translation is but at least they are translated

https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Tantra-Bri ... C5VSXEMKKZ

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Tantra-Vaj ... N6E63CZBWB
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

has anyone read these? are they good translations?
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Fa Dao wrote:has anyone read these? are they good translations?
I have not read them.

As for being "good translations", I've seen numerous discussions in various places which concludes that his translations have quite a number of errors and mistakes in them.
heart

Post by heart »

I bought "The union of the sun and moon" because I wanted very much to read the context in which the song of the vajra was taught. I can say this; these translations are not "pretty", that is they seem to lack proper editing and translation support (he seems to invent his own vocabulary).

I would say they are not very good, but who am I to say anything about translation. :smile:

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
WuMing

Post by WuMing »

Norwegian wrote:
I have not read them.

As for being "good translations", I've seen numerous discussions in various places which concludes that his translations have quite a number of errors and mistakes in them.
Such as? Can you give an example of his errors and mistakes, please!
Life is great and death has to be just as great as life.
- Mike Tyson
People not only don't know what's happening to them, they don't even know that they don't know.
- Noam Chomsky
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

WuMing wrote:
Norwegian wrote:
I have not read them.

Such as? Can you give an example of his errors and mistakes, please!
I cannot recall the specifics right now unfortunately, but there were two discussions on Vajracakra and some on Jean-Luc Achard's forum.

http://vajracakra.com/viewtopic.php?f=6 ... 4&start=10
http://vajracakra.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2049

The one on JLA's forum (I don't have the link to the posts) mentioned how Wilkinson completely mistranslated something which referred to something entirely different than what he had translated it as, which thus results in something quite confusing. I tried searching for it, but either my search parameters were wrong or the search function just sucks.

At any rate, posts like these, coupled with having read one of his first Dzogchen publications, have lead me to not care so much for his translations, until they actually get good reviews by people who knows Tibetan.
florin

Post by florin »

I would echo , more or less what others have said.
My advice is to wait .
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

I did read some excerpts of the two books on Amazon...seemed pretty straightforward and relatively easy to read...but I am no translator
florin

Post by florin »

To be honest i dont know what this Wilkinson guy is doing...
It almost looks like he has his own personal translation factory given the frequency with which he translates.
That wouldn't be such a bad thing if his translations would be any good .

Like many others, having been exposed to very good quality dzogchen literature i can say with some degree of certainty that these translations appart from the accidental intelligibility they don't make much sense .

If anybody is confused about the various positive reviews on the internet, i would suggest that they are not real reviews. Given the quality of the material they can't be.
These people are either friends, paid or clueless with respect to dzogchen.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

florin wrote:To be honest i dont know what this Wilkinson guy is doing...
It almost looks like he has his own personal translation factory given the frequency with which he translates.

Like many others, having been exposed to very good quality dzogchen literature i can say with some degree of certainty that these translations appart from the accidental intelligibility they don't make much sense .

If anybody is confused about the various positive reviews on the internet, i would suggest that they are not real reviews. Given the quality of the material they can't be.
Positive reviews of Dharma books on Amazon is risky business, if you rely on them for purchase. Just put out a text on Amazon, call it "The Great Dzogchen" or whatever, and someone will give it 5 stars regardless of content. Anything that is branded as a Dharma text, in particular Dzogchen, tend to get 5 stars...

In fact when it comes to reviews for Dharma books, Amazon tend to be pretty terrible, as opposed to history books, such as Japanese history, Medieval European history, etc. or so many other subjects. It's really weird.
heart

Post by heart »

florin wrote:To be honest i dont know what this Wilkinson guy is doing...

He mentions that Jax support and encourage his translations in the preface of the book I bought, so maybe Jax and his "students" give them good reviews. :smile:

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Magnus,
that is problematic but as far as I know these are the only translations of these two Tantras in English...
heart

Post by heart »

Fa Dao wrote:Magnus,
that is problematic but as far as I know these are the only translations of these two Tantras in English...
Buy one and try.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

heart wrote:
Fa Dao wrote:Magnus,
Buy one and try.

/magnus
yeah..thats probably what I will do...both contain the Tibetan so it doesnt hurt to have that around, right?

Return to “Dzogchen”