Karma rebirth predators

A forum for discussion of Buddhist ethics.
Tiago Simões

Re: Karma rebirth predators

Post by Tiago Simões »

boda wrote:
tiagolps wrote:
boda wrote: This has wide implications, and is similar to some Christian beliefs, I think, in that all are condemned to burn in hell for eternity except for those who accept God as their lord and savior.
Who said that? I just asked how else you see beings gaining merit other than dharma?
Your question seemed to imply exposure to dharma was the only way. I'm not the one making this stuff up so you're asking the wrong person.
Dharma is the only way to accumulate merit, you seemed shocked by that somehow.
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

boda wrote:
tiagolps wrote:
boda wrote: This has wide implications, and is similar to some Christian beliefs, I think, in that all are condemned to burn in hell for eternity except for those who accept God as their lord and savior.
Who said that? I just asked how else you see beings gaining merit other than dharma?
Your question seemed to imply exposure to dharma was the only way. I'm not the one making this stuff up so you're asking the wrong person.
It's my understanding that Buddha didn't hand down rules of his own making, like commandments. He explained how things actually work and challenged us to replicate his discoveries. We call his explanation Dharma, but someone acting in accordance with the way things work will get the same results even if they know nothing of Buddha or his Dharma. The exclusionary bit comes in because the basis for the way things work is so contrary to ordinary thought that without engaging in Dharma it would be exceedingly difficult for someone to figure out the nuances on their own.
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva
boda

Post by boda »

tiagolps wrote:Dharma is the only way to accumulate merit, you seemed shocked by that somehow.
How do critters accumulate merit via this method?

They are already at a deficit, having been reborn in the first place, and presumably carnivores accumulate further bad karma by having to kill in order to survive. It's apparently an infinite regress. That doesn't make any sense. Of course it doesn't need to make any sense. Religious narratives don't need to conform to the universe. They only need to make the universe more meaningful.
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

boda wrote:
tiagolps wrote:Dharma is the only way to accumulate merit, you seemed shocked by that somehow.
How do critters accumulate merit via this method?

They are already at a deficit, having been reborn in the first place, and presumably carnivores accumulate further bad karma by having to kill in order to survive. It's apparently an infinite regress. That doesn't make any sense. Of course it doesn't need to make any sense. Religious narratives don't need to conform to the universe. They only need to make the universe more meaningful.
Beings born in the lower realms, can only be reborn in higher realms when the causes and conditions that lead them there have been exhausted.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Ok, I feel like the thread has run it's course, and is getting redundant at this point. Please let me know if anyone has a reason for it being reopened.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Ethical Conduct”