Showing your real picture

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

So, maybe it is time for the members to show their faces? Drop the good old symbolic icons to prove you are a Buddhist. I would like to see more lovely faces on here, maybe we even can be friends. How cool is that, really?
KristenM

Re: Showing your real picture

Post by KristenM »

I agree. I put mine up, but then took it down. Maybe I'll post a pic up again later.
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

Is that a koan?

Has a similar topic

Anonymity on Buddhist forums
https://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=25385

Friendship is very good.

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

310670_2273384868873_1199782843_a.jpg
310670_2273384868873_1199782843_a.jpg (5.03 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
Hi!
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Hi! Put it as your avatar.

And nice picture of you, TharpaChodron.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Taking a page from the Buddha's book, I say:

Enough, odysseus! Why do you want to see this foul body?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

I read the passage. But a picture on the internet is just this, a picture. It's a virtual representation of the body only. However foul this body could appear, it is what we are known by. We have to live with it, and it is also needed to live the holy life.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

odysseus wrote:I read the passage. But a picture on the internet is just this, a picture. It's a virtual representation of the body only. However foul this body could appear, it is what we are known by. We have to live with it, and it is also needed to live the holy life.
Well, I don't have a photo handy, but this is a pretty good likeness:

There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

That's funny. But I am still awaiting your real picture. Whether you are an internet geek, it's not harmful. I guess in these Snowden days, everybody got scared of the internet.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

After reading that thread on anonymity, I'd really like to change my name to Kristen, but I can't seem to find out how. Anyhew, thanks Odysseus.
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Is your real name "Kristen"? Well, I even posted my Facebook profile. I am not so worried about internet, the scammers cannot use my identity for anything.
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

[img]13490603_10205886785960477_1001888370674394413_o.jpg[/img]
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

odysseus wrote:Is your real name "Kristen"? Well, I even posted my Facebook profile. I am not so worried about internet, the scammers cannot use my identity for anything.
Yes, it is Kristen. I'm not worried about anyone here, Buddhists or spammmers, but I do retain a little anonymity because of working for what is known commonly in this country as "child protective services".
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

odysseus wrote:So, maybe it is time for the members to show their faces? Drop the good old symbolic icons to prove you are a Buddhist. I would like to see more lovely faces on here, maybe we even can be friends. How cool is that, really?
I think it's generally a bad idea, and maybe a little irresponsible in some cases.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

The Cicada wrote:
odysseus wrote:So, maybe it is time for the members to show their faces? Drop the good old symbolic icons to prove you are a Buddhist. I would like to see more lovely faces on here, maybe we even can be friends. How cool is that, really?
I think it's generally a bad idea, and maybe a little irresponsible in some cases.
and yet, you've shown your own face. good on you haha. why could it be irresponsible?

btw, are there any other women on this forum? i would like to know.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

TharpaChodron wrote:btw, are there any other women on this forum? i would like to know.
One of the mods is a woman. There are a few others, but it's mostly a sausage fest.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

dzogchungpa wrote:
TharpaChodron wrote:btw, are there any other women on this forum? i would like to know.
One of the mods is a woman.
thank you, good to know. a balance of both men and women is healthy. is there a thread about that topic? i'm relatively new so i won't press the issue...yet. :D
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

dzogchungpa wrote:One of the mods is a woman. There are a few others, but it's mostly a sausage fest.
I agree with your implied comparison of the forum to Sukhavati in that respect.

:namaste:
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

TharpaChodron wrote: why could it be irresponsible?
Just think of all of the disgruntled baby mamas (yes, this is a legitimate designation in the English language—goodbye Western civilization, your apex was fun,) who will come after you once they've got your mugshot.

and yet, you've shown your own face.
No point in doing that unless you're some obscure Democritus type whose opinions will yield no consequences for you as you go on from the peanut gallery—or some creep using a display of openness to play 5 dimensional chess. Or both.
Strive

Post by Strive »

conebeckham wrote:310670_2273384868873_1199782843_a.jpg

Hi!
sexy beast

Return to “Introductions”