dumb question

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Heruka

Re: dumb question

Post by Heruka »

gregkavarnos wrote:So what people are saying here is that, even, ignorant beings possess the three kayas they are just unaware of it?
:namaste:

yes the same as christian thought that you are born impure, and only through a gate keeper priest caste, can you be made pure.
Heruka

Post by Heruka »

heart wrote:Nirmanakaya and Samboghakaya don't arise from ignorance, they arise from compassion.
/magnus
yes.

but no seperation into compartments, it is holistic without conditions, parts and wholes. how can you say this is a good part of empty space, seperate from a bad part of empty space unless you construct a frame, a container to hold it?
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

maestro wrote:
So enlightenment is not permanent? Dharmata sounds a lot like Nirguna Brahman in this case.

No, enlightenment is permanent. And yet form still arises. But a buddha perceives form as self-liberated (not separate from emptiness), while a sentient being perceives form as self-existing (separate from emptiness). Dharmata is the absolute nature of reality. This is beyond the extremes of existing/not existing, so it cannot exclude form nor emptiness. It is different from Nirguna Brahman, which by definition excludes form.
heart

Post by heart »

maestro wrote:
So enlightenment is not permanent? Dharmata sounds a lot like Nirguna Brahman in this case.
Dharmakaya is permanent but beyond time.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
heart

Post by heart »

Heruka wrote:
heart wrote:Nirmanakaya and Samboghakaya don't arise from ignorance, they arise from compassion.
/magnus
yes.

but no seperation into compartments, it is holistic without conditions, parts and wholes. how can you say this is a good part of empty space, seperate from a bad part of empty space unless you construct a frame, a container to hold it?
It isn't exactly something else, it is just a framework to explain the natural activity of enlightenment.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

In Root Verses of the Middleway, ( Mula Madhyamaka Karika 25. Investigation of Nirvana), Nagarjuna says that Nirvana is not permanent, etc... If it were permanent it would be a thing, which not acceptable.
http://www.stephenbatchelor.org/verses2 ... %20Nirvana
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
heart

Post by heart »

Aemilius wrote:In Root Verses of the Middleway, ( Mula Madhyamaka Karika 25. Investigation of Nirvana), Nagarjuna says that Nirvana is not permanent, etc... If it were permanent it would be a thing, which not acceptable.
It is true, only from the point of samsara does nirvana appear as permanent since it isn't possible to revert from it. In it's own nature it is beyond permanent and impermanent since it is completely beyond time.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Rakz

Post by Rakz »

dakini_boi wrote:
maestro wrote:

No, enlightenment is permanent. And yet form still arises. But a buddha perceives form as self-liberated (not separate from emptiness), while a sentient being perceives form as self-existing (separate from emptiness). Dharmata is the absolute nature of reality. This is beyond the extremes of existing/not existing, so it cannot exclude form nor emptiness. It is different from Nirguna Brahman, which by definition excludes form.
What do you mean by "forms" still arising if all sentient beings are already enlightened?
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

What I mean is that what characterizes enlightened awareness is not lack of forms arising, but a perceptive ability that doesn't dualize that which is form from that which is emptiness. Logic breaks down, and words are very inadequate for this. May all beings have direct experiential understanding of this immediately!! :)
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

heart wrote:
Aemilius wrote:In Root Verses of the Middleway, ( Mula Madhyamaka Karika 25. Investigation of Nirvana), Nagarjuna says that Nirvana is not permanent, etc... If it were permanent it would be a thing, which not acceptable.
It is true, only from the point of samsara does nirvana appear as permanent since it isn't possible to revert from it. In it's own nature it is beyond permanent and impermanent since it is completely beyond time.

/magnus
This brings up an extremely strange and heterodox issue, namely is nirvana really non-revertible?

Can we address this issue without going into the field of secret, very secret and the utmost secret practices & secret dharmas ?

There are some indirect views concerning it in the normal Mahayana buddhist literature. This could be a basis of approaching it. It goes against a very basic buddhist fundamentum, which is the reason why one doesn't really want to take it up for discussion. But maybe it is necessary ?

One way of seeing it is in terms of dhyana & prajna: Let's say you attain enlightenment, i.e. stream entry or the first bodhisattva bhumi, or other stages of seeing into the reality. Time goes by and gradually everything changes, if it now happens that you become ordinary again, then we can conclude that your enlightenment was in fact only a state of dhyana or a state of samadhi.

According to the sutras and the abhidharma dhyana and samadhi can easily last for a few thousand years or more. You spend this time in a mummified body on earth or alternatively you die on earth and continue your samadhi or dhyana in a heavenly world.

In Zen and general Mahayana literature there are references to that a bodhisattva enters samsara again and attains enlightenment again, for the sake of others.

If the incarnate tulkus or other nirmanakayas are enlightened, why do they need to practice dharma again? -to attain enlightenemet again ? Have they lost it in the Bardo, or even before the bardo state ?

Then there is the view according to which all religions are based on Enlightenment. Thus we have thousands and millions of people involved in the project of making each and every enlightened person an ordinary person again. After this the theistic systems will attribute the qualities of the enlightened person to their "Supreme Being". It exists and it works.

It would be silly to atribute this only to the theistic religions, buddhists also do it. Enlightenment it is regularly attained by the "wrong persons", i.e. by some people who are not accepted by the authoritarian systems that we have in buddhism. Thus the same kind of systems are applied and practiced, through which these people are utterly destroyed. Their enlightened qualities are transferred to a figure that is put there for this purpose, in various buddhist institutions.
svaha
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

dakini_boi wrote:What would happen if/when ALL beings completely realize full enlightenment (i.e. Dzogchen/Mahamudra)?
We would all have been experiencing a Pure Land environment for a long, long time already and so all gross suffering would have long since ceased. So for me that is what we need to shoot for.

So perhaps we will just disolve rupakaya forms with only the Dharmakaya left. Last person to leave the Pure Lands - please turn off the lights!

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
heart

Post by heart »

Aemilius wrote:
heart wrote: It is true, only from the point of samsara does nirvana appear as permanent since it isn't possible to revert from it. In it's own nature it is beyond permanent and impermanent since it is completely beyond time.

/magnus
This brings up an extremely strange and heterodox issue, namely is nirvana really non-revertible?
Well it depends on what you mean with enlightenment no? Following general Mahayana Buddhism it is very clear, you can't revert. I remember Trungpa answer a question if Bodhisattvas, who are not fully enlightened, could revert and he said that it was possible but that it didn't happen because, if I recall correctly, Bodhisattvas had renounced full enlightenment and so it was impossible for them to not attain it.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Pemachöying

Post by Pemachöying »

Hi concerning the 3 kayas according to the teaching i heard.
There is one way in wich beings progress from Nirmankaya to Sambhogakaya to Dharmakaya
and the other way in wich from above Dharmakaya manifests to Sambhogakaya to Nirmanakya and in
the first example the 3 kayas have not manifested complete and in the second example they have.
Concerning the question about if samsara can be empty it cannot beacuse collectively it dosent
have one begining but its continusely manifesting new beings if there was one collectiv begining of samsara it would be possible to be an end to samsara. Thats the reason why individualy there is an begining and end but collectivly not.Concerning the 3 kayas its mentioned that you can not fall back
beacuse the qualities are uncompounded as mentioned in Uttaratantra Shastra.

Regards

Allon
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

kirtu wrote:
So perhaps we will just disolve rupakaya forms with only the Dharmakaya left. Last person to leave the Pure Lands - please turn off the lights!

Kirt
But this is where logic was breaking down for me. . . my understanding is that there can be no dharmakaya without rupakaya. . . i.e. the kayas are inseparable.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

dakini_boi wrote:
kirtu wrote:

Kirt
But this is where logic was breaking down for me. . . my understanding is that there can be no dharmakaya without rupakaya. . . i.e. the kayas are inseparable.
The kayas are inseparable - the rupakaya emanates in order to teach, there is no other reason. If everyone attained perfect and complete enlightenment then the rupakayas would no longer have a reason for existing since there would be no more unenlightened beings. So the rupakayas should disolve.

The kayas are inseparable but the the rupakayas manifest as needed to tame beings. So I would argue that there can be a Dharmakaya without rupakaya in the case that every mind is really perfectly enlightened.

Kirt
Last edited by kirtu on Thu May 05, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

kirtu wrote:
dakini_boi wrote:
kirtu wrote:

Kirt
The kayas are inseparable - the rupakaya emanates in order to teach, there is no other reason. If everyone attained perfect and completely enlightenment then the rupakayas would no longer have a reason for existing since there would be no more unenlightened beings. So the rupakayas should disolve.

The kayas are inseparable but the the rupakayas manifest as needed to tame beings. So I would argue that there can be a Dharmakaya without rupakaya in the case that every mind is really perfectly enlightened.

Kirt
Dzogchen resolves this perfectly -- at the time of the basis, all kāyas are the dharmakāya; at the time of the path, all kāyas are the sambhogakāya; at the time of the result, all kāyas are the rūpakāya.
adinatha

Post by adinatha »

At the time of no time which is all the time all kayas are inseparable.
CAW!
Madeliaette
Location: Currently in Sussex, England. Formerly in Wollongong, Australia.

Post by Madeliaette »

:oops: sorry - posted in the wrong thread! ignore please! (I must not listen to MP3s of the Dhammapada at the same time as posting - )
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

heart wrote:
Aemilius wrote:
heart wrote: It is true, only from the point of samsara does nirvana appear as permanent since it isn't possible to revert from it. In it's own nature it is beyond permanent and impermanent since it is completely beyond time.

/magnus
Well it depends on what you mean with enlightenment no? Following general Mahayana Buddhism it is very clear, you can't revert. I remember Trungpa answer a question if Bodhisattvas, who are not fully enlightened, could revert and he said that it was possible but that it didn't happen because, if I recall correctly, Bodhisattvas had renounced full enlightenment and so it was impossible for them to not attain it.

/magnus

I think that what you remember is in the Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism. No reason to take it further, I suppose. Still, there are passages in the sutras that say for example that Manjushri attained full enlightenment kalpas ago, his name as a very ancient buddha is given in Shuramgamasamdhi sutra, but he nevertheless continues to live in the wheel of becoming. Maybe he got bored with his eternal Nirvana?
svaha
heart

Post by heart »

Aemilius wrote: I think that what you remember is in the Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism. No reason to take it further, I suppose. Still, there are passages in the sutras that say for example that Manjushri attained full enlightenment kalpas ago, his name as a very ancient buddha is given in Shuramgamasamdhi sutra, but he nevertheless continues to live in the wheel of becoming. Maybe he got bored with his eternal Nirvana?
Manjusri could be seen as Bodhisattva or a Buddha, both manifest the activity of great compassion towards sentient beings but that doesn't mean they are dwelling in ignorance in Samsara.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”