English w/diacritics for Sanskrit, please.

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
trinle thaye

English w/diacritics for Sanskrit, please.

Post by trinle thaye »

I would like to use the proper Sanskrit with diacritics for the two terms below, but I don't read Sanskrit. Any help much appreciated. Further, if anyone knows of resources for Tibetan-Sanskrit, that would be much appreciated. I have Tibskrit which is great for names of Indian masters w/diacritics, I have Illumnator dictionary also, but it is limited. Is there another resource I might find helpful? Thank you.
This the name for one of the four principal mountains in Buddhist cosmology.
This the name for one of the four principal mountains in Buddhist cosmology.
'bigs byed.png (3.31 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
This is a name for a kind of spirit. It may read "revati" but I want to be sure about the diacritics.
This is a name for a kind of spirit. It may read "revati" but I want to be sure about the diacritics.
rnam gru'i gdon.png (4.5 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
Malcolm

Re: English w/diacritics for Sanskrit, please.

Post by Malcolm »

trinle thaye wrote:I would like to use the proper Sanskrit with diacritics for the two terms below, but I don't read Sanskrit. Any help much appreciated. Further, if anyone knows of resources for Tibetan-Sanskrit, that would be much appreciated. I have Tibskrit which is great for names of Indian masters w/diacritics, I have Illumnator dictionary also, but it is limited. Is there another resource I might find helpful? Thank you.
'bigs byed.png
rnam gru'i gdon.png
Vindhya

Rematī bhuta
ratna

Post by ratna »

The second reads Revatīgraha. According to Monier-Williams, it's the name of a demon presiding over diseases in Buddhist sources.

For Tibetan-Sanskrit, I don't think there's one single good source for everything. There's Mahāvyutpatti, which is available online at http://texa.human.is.tohoku.ac.jp/aiba/ ... mvyut/open" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Otherwise, there are Tibetan-Sanskrit indexes for specific texts, etc.

R
trinle thaye

Post by trinle thaye »

Thank you for clarifying and for the Monier-Williams tip.

I run Windows 7 and Word 2010, do I need extra software to be able to type diacritics. I downloaded diaunic (or something like that) one a previous computer, but it started crashing soon after; then it happened with a borrowed computer too, so I am hesitant to install that again. There are so many to chose from, it's hard to know what's good.

Thanks again.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

ratna wrote:The second reads Revatīgraha. According to Monier-Williams, it's the name of a demon presiding over diseases in Buddhist sources.

For Tibetan-Sanskrit, I don't think there's one single good source for everything. There's Mahāvyutpatti, which is available online at http://texa.human.is.tohoku.ac.jp/aiba/ ... mvyut/open" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Otherwise, there are Tibetan-Sanskrit indexes for specific texts, etc.

R

You are right, it is 5 am where I am and I was on autopilot.

Revati, Remati are synonyms. Revati/Remati is a title of Palden Lhamo/Shri Devi. She is responsible for illnesses also.
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

Hi,

I have made a short instruction piece on inputting diacritics in Word (2007/2010), available here.

~~ Huifeng

Return to “Language”