Vidyadhara Heruka - Dudjom Lineage Tree

ddorje

Vidyadhara Heruka - Dudjom Lineage Tree

Post by ddorje » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:36 am

Within the Dudjom Tersar Lineage Tree, amongst the 8 Kagye Deities below the central Guru Rinpoche is a ninth figure; a white Heruka in union with a light-red consort. According to Robert Beer's description, this is Vidyadhara Heruka:

"Below the Buddha assembly is the standing white form of Vidyadhara Heruka, who embraces his consort with his arms crossed in vajrahumkara-mudra as he holds his vajra and bell, while his light-red consort holds a skull-cup and makes the threatening tarjani gesture."

After years of seeing this lineage tree thangka, I had always thought this Heruka to be one of the Kagye, but it seems its not the case.

Does anyone have any further knowledge?

Thank you in advance
'Maybe you collect a lot of important writings, major texts, personal instructions private notes, whatever. If you haven't practiced, books won't help you when you die. Look at the mind - that's my sincere advice' - Longchen Rabjam

dzoki

Re: Vidyadhara Heruka - Dudjom Lineage Tree

Post by dzoki » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:38 am

You probably mean this refuge field: https://unikmetal.ru/prefix/0829abb48cd ... b13346.jpg

That heruka is Vajradharma - the vidyadhara heruka in outer sadhana of Dudjom Lingpa's Sangwa Desheg Dupa, which featuers the body mandala of Mohottara heruka containing other 8 herukas, though their forms are diffetent from the ones depicted in the refuge field. He might also figure in Dudjom Rinpoche's Kagye Gudu. He basically represents guru Padmasambhava and his mandala of vidyadharas.

ddorje

Post by ddorje » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:33 am

That's the one!

Oh I see, thank you!

The Guru Yoga of Dudjom Lingpa (vol. 15 (ba), p. 1-4) also includes a reference to him as Chemchog Vajra Heruka.
'Maybe you collect a lot of important writings, major texts, personal instructions private notes, whatever. If you haven't practiced, books won't help you when you die. Look at the mind - that's my sincere advice' - Longchen Rabjam

ddorje

Post by ddorje » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:20 am

dzoki wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:38 am
You probably mean this refuge field: https://unikmetal.ru/prefix/0829abb48cd ... b13346.jpg

That heruka is Vajradharma - the vidyadhara heruka in outer sadhana of Dudjom Lingpa's Sangwa Desheg Dupa, which featuers the body mandala of Mohottara heruka containing other 8 herukas, though their forms are diffetent from the ones depicted in the refuge field. He might also figure in Dudjom Rinpoche's Kagye Gudu. He basically represents guru Padmasambhava and his mandala of vidyadharas.
Thanks for the info! So it’s Vajradharma, not vidhadhara?

Have you ever seen this Heruka depicted elsewhere?

yeshegyaltsen

Post by yeshegyaltsen » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:40 pm

dzoki wrote:

Dzoki, Do you know who the figure at the bottom of the lineage lamas is. I found this image some time ago and I thought it was from Shenphen Dawa's site, which would make that figure him, but now I can't find the source of this image anymore, so I was wondering if you might know who that is at the bottom center just above Guru Rinpoche. Any help is appreciated. thanks!

Josef

Post by Josef » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:46 pm

yeshegyaltsen wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:40 pm
dzoki wrote:

Dzoki, Do you know who the figure at the bottom of the lineage lamas is. I found this image some time ago and I thought it was from Shenphen Dawa's site, which would make that figure him, but now I can't find the source of this image anymore, so I was wondering if you might know who that is at the bottom center just above Guru Rinpoche. Any help is appreciated. thanks!
Jigdral Yeshe Dorje
Kye ma!
The river of continuity is marked by impermanence.
Ceaseless flowing of appearance.
Beautiful and repulsive.
The dance of life and death is a display of the vast expanse.
With gratitude the watcher and the watched pass through the barrier of duality.

yeshegyaltsen

Post by yeshegyaltsen » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:08 pm

Josef wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:46 pm
yeshegyaltsen wrote:
dzoki wrote:

Jigdral Yeshe Dorje
No he's the one on the bottom right of the last row of three. That bottom row of three is where the lineage masters stop in most of the Dudjom refuge trees. However this one has an extra figure below them and I'd like to know who that is.
Last edited by yeshegyaltsen on Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josef

Post by Josef » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:09 pm

yeshegyaltsen wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:08 pm
Josef wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:46 pm
yeshegyaltsen wrote:

Jigdral Yeshe Dorje
No he's the one on the bottom right of the last row of three. That bottom row of three is where the lineage masters stop in most of the Dudjom refuge trees. However this one has an extra figure below them and I'd like to know that is.
Hmm, interesting.
Could it be a new thangka with one of the yangsi's added?
Kye ma!
The river of continuity is marked by impermanence.
Ceaseless flowing of appearance.
Beautiful and repulsive.
The dance of life and death is a display of the vast expanse.
With gratitude the watcher and the watched pass through the barrier of duality.

yeshegyaltsen

Post by yeshegyaltsen » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:11 pm

I think it's more likely to be one of Dudjom Rinpoche's sons.

ddorje

Post by ddorje » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:34 am

yeshegyaltsen wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:11 pm
I think it's more likely to be one of Dudjom Rinpoche's sons.
That might be Shenpen Dawa himself?

tingdzin

Post by tingdzin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:28 am

ddorje wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:20 am
Have you ever seen this Heruka depicted elsewhere?
A similar form exists in many or most of the different Kagye cycles.In Padma Lingpa, for example, he's called Lama Rigdzin.

Return to “Nyingma”