Hello from Scotland

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
negspec13

Hello from Scotland

Post by negspec13 »

Hi all,

I'm a relatively new Buddhist from Glasgow, Scotland. I'm especially drawn to Tibetan Buddhist teachings and I'm currently searching for a teacher which is an issue since there are no schools near me and I suffer with depression and anxiety which stops me leaving the house much. I would take part in online training but it's all so expensive!

Anyway, It's good to be here and please go easy, I'm certain to make mistakes!
philji

Re: Hello from Scotland

Post by philji »

Welcome. A big hi to you from Wales. I believe there are some online teachings/ courses free on Ringu Tulku’s webiste...bodhicarya. He is a well respected teacher and visits Scitland from time to time.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Hello negspec13,

welcome to Dharmawheel.
There are regularily livestreams with the Dalai Lama as well and they are for free also. For example tomorrow (in five hours) here:

But if that's too early, the video is avaiable there for some time later too.
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Welcome and hello from England. There is a Kagyu Samye Dzong in Glasgow and Samye Ling do an online course, I don’t know if this is affordable for you, I don’t know what it is like but given the quality of Samye Ling I’d presume it’s good.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

welcome! these practices helped me a lot with anxiety and depression.

jake
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Welcome to DharmaWheel!
:anjali:
dharmafootsteps

Post by dharmafootsteps »

Welcome from another Scot (not currently living in Scotland).

Samye Dzong is a good bet in Glasgow. Unfortunately there's a limited teaching schedule there though, as there's no resident teacher. Samye Ling is also a good place to visit for retreats/seminars.
dharmafootsteps

Post by dharmafootsteps »

Oh, and it's not very near you, but I recommend keeping an eye on Gomde Scotland: https://www.facebook.com/gomdescotland/

If there's a visiting lama it's well worth the trip (especially if it's Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche - unfortunately I don't think he's likely to be back till next summer though).

They also have an online program called Tara's Triple Excellence at dharmasun.org
If cost is an issue for you I'd suggest emailing them and explaining your situation.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Greetings from California,

My husband is from Scotland, too. I was just writing about Samye Ling, but obviously everyone else has it covered. :smile:
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:35 pm Welcome and hello from England. There is a Kagyu Samye Dzong in Glasgow and Samye Ling do an online course, I don’t know if this is affordable for you, I don’t know what it is like but given the quality of Samye Ling I’d presume it’s good.
X2
I've not been to Scotland Samye but have done for the London one. These kinds of enviroments don't always mean you need to socialize if you're feeling anxious. People will speak if you engage them or leave you to yourself if you're sat there reading or something.

I imagine there is a sliding scale option for the course of you speak to them.You can also find many video teachings from Ken Holmes on YouTube by searching Khenpo Ken. They're all very high quality and you can tell Ken is authentic. Structured topics.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

:yinyang:
saraswati

Post by saraswati »

Vasana wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:16 pm
Lobsang Chojor wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:35 pm [...] given the quality of Samye Ling [...]
X2
I've not been to Scotland Samye but have done for the London one. These kinds of enviroments don't always mean you need to socialize if you're feeling anxious. People will speak if you engage them or leave you to yourself if you're sat there reading or something.

I imagine there is a sliding scale option for the course of you speak to them.You can also find many video teachings from Ken Holmes on YouTube by searching Khenpo Ken. They're all very high quality and you can tell Ken is authentic. Structured topics.
Further to the recommendations for Ken and Samye Ling, Ken leads a lovely Christmas/New Year retreat at Samye Ling. I've been twice, and Ken (along with Katia) envelops you in a soothing and gentle atmosphere of loving kindness, during a time of year which can be stressful for some. Samye provides affordable accommodation and three hot meals a day, and the dining room has a silent zone for those who prefer to stay quiet. Lovely walks around there too. Ken's teachings are given on a donation basis.

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!
Let yourself become that space that welcomes any experience without judgement.
- Tsoknyi Rinpoche

Return to “Introductions”