receiving transmission

Aryjna

Re: receiving transmission

Post by Aryjna »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:43 pm Some people think that having a guru is like having a personal tutor. It is not like that. I suggest you take a gradual approach, hook up with an SMS teacher, read The Precious Vase, and begin that way. Step by step.
I have a related question about that. How do you hook up with an SMS teacher? I have emailed one that lives in the city I am currently in and asked a few questions and received answers, but I don't think they have the time for personal meetings or even frequent emails. Attending a yantra yoga group is something that I want to do but the local one is temporarily on hold.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Aryjna wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:51 pm
Malcolm wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:43 pm Some people think that having a guru is like having a personal tutor. It is not like that. I suggest you take a gradual approach, hook up with an SMS teacher, read The Precious Vase, and begin that way. Step by step.
I have a related question about that. How do you hook up with an SMS teacher? I have emailed one that lives in the city I am currently in and asked a few questions and received answers, but I don't think they have the time for personal meetings or even frequent emails. Attending a yantra yoga group is something that I want to do but the local one is temporarily on hold.
You should try a communicate with an SMS study group lead by an SMS teacher.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:55 pm
Aryjna wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:51 pm
You should try a communicate with an SMS study group lead by an SMS teacher.
I think there is one here, but there are only very few meetings per year, I will find out more about it though.
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

lee wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:50 pm wow, thank you for the amount of information on this everyone! I really appreciate it.

I did participate but i think due to being ill i did not connect to it.

however i will be attending the pundarika retreat in 2018 for a in person direct introduction!

I seem to be struggling with understanding the dzogchen preliminaries and the structure of dzogchen itself, any good reads to clarify the structure of that part of dzogchen? from what i understand is, secondary practices are depending on the individual's circumstances, preliminaries are for cultivating the recognition of rigpa ( correct me if im wrong on this ) then you have trekcho, togal and then phowa practices ( again correct me if im wrong )

not trying to jump ahead of course, just trying to get an understanding for the structure of the practice, especially the preliminaries.

Thank you
All good responses. :good: :good: :good:

It is simple and complicated at the same time. Simple: as Virgo mentions: there is either being in the state of integration with whatever arises, with non-dual awareness, or there is not being in the state of integration with non-dual awareness. This is why Ati-guru yoga is spoken of as the primary practice. When you are not in awareness then it is helpful to DO the secondary practices. ChNNR taught over 120 of these in over 600 retreats. Intellectual understanding can be gained from reading words. Then with understanding as a support, you can put words to rest and enter contemplation. Sometimes words lead to an "Ah ha" or "AH" moment of insight, so words and intellectual understanding have their place and function as a support for practice.

Complicated: 792 books on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... 005UX8DJG5

Three of the best, by ChNNR:

Also:

And from the Bonpo:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... FFK3ANAKKP

All of this was summarized into three words/concepts by Garab Dorje so as to make it easier to understand Dzogchen: direct introduction, developing confidence and continuing.

And then of course there are commentaries on the three words, turning the 3 words into many.

http://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-mas ... nedek-root

But if you want to summarize in one word, simply sound an "AH."

If you are really lazy you don't even need to sound the AH - just do your best to rest in / integrate with your natural state 24/7, and this is Dzogchen.

Until then we practice, and the first step in Dzogchen practice is to receive direct introduction and this is completely beyond words. :smile:

:heart:
lee

Post by lee »

wow thank you for all the book suggestions,

i actually have most of them :)

iv just purchased the precious vase as well.

im going to settle back down now and just read what i already have that is not restricted and then go to the pundarika retreats, in terms of sms i think that might have to wait as weekly travels to london is fairly far for me right now.

can secondary practices from other traditions be used? i already have a deep background in alchemic practices and was wondering if that could be used as secondary itself?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

lee wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:02 pm wow thank you for all the book suggestions,

i actually have most of them :)

iv just purchased the precious vase as well.

im going to settle back down now and just read what i already have that is not restricted and then go to the pundarika retreats, in terms of sms i think that might have to wait as weekly travels to london is fairly far for me right now.

can secondary practices from other traditions be used? i already have a deep background in alchemic practices and was wondering if that could be used as secondary itself?

Secondary practices means the thun practices like the short thun, etc.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

lee wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:02 pm
Other traditions by definition don't have the same base, path and fruit or view, meditation and conduct so to mix the two would only bring mixed results just as mixing Dharma with worldly dharmas brings mixed results. There are some similarities with alchemical thought and Vajrayana though so you may find inspiration in both and maybe you can gain deeper understandings or appreciation of both in your involvement but knowing exactly where the similarities and differences in the paths can be found is fundamental in avoiding decorative but dead ends. Alchemy is all about transmuting the impure to the pure but in Dzogchen, the purity is there from the beginning but that recognition is obscured.

With that being said, you can still find quotes, passages and symbols from other traditions that can also be understood and appreciated from a Dharma or Dzogchen p.o.v
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Pero

Post by Pero »

lee wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:02 pm im going to settle back down now and just read what i already have that is not restricted and then go to the pundarika retreats, in terms of sms i think that might have to wait as weekly travels to london is fairly far for me right now.
Cool, that you're going to Tsoknyi Rinpoche's retreat teaching. It's great to receive instructions and have some practice experience with it right away. I might go there too although the likelihood is very small.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
lee

Post by lee »

Vasana wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:59 am
lee wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:02 pm
Other traditions by definition don't have the same base, path and fruit or view, meditation and conduct so to mix the two would only bring mixed results just as mixing Dharma with worldly dharmas brings mixed results. There are some similarities with alchemical thought and Vajrayana though so you may find inspiration in both and maybe you can gain deeper understandings or appreciation of both in your involvement but knowing exactly where the similarities and differences in the paths can be found is fundamental in avoiding decorative but dead ends. Alchemy is all about transmuting the impure to the pure but in Dzogchen, the purity is there from the beginning but that recognition is obscured.

With that being said, you can still find quotes, passages and symbols from other traditions that can also be understood and appreciated from a Dharma or Dzogchen p.o.v
from what i can see theirs a lot of similarities with the dzogchen view and alchemy, chinese and indian alchemy is pretty much the same thing, if you take away the culture behind it. But that being said, the main system in the teachings of alchemy and dzogchen is the emptiness aspect of it.
lee

Post by lee »

Pero wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:21 pm
lee wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:02 pm im going to settle back down now and just read what i already have that is not restricted and then go to the pundarika retreats, in terms of sms i think that might have to wait as weekly travels to london is fairly far for me right now.
Cool, that you're going to Tsoknyi Rinpoche's retreat teaching. It's great to receive instructions and have some practice experience with it right away. I might go there too although the likelihood is very small.
:twothumbsup: very excited about it! 6 day retreat with in personal direct introduction to the state! it's a fair while away and the price is fair tbh, for whats involved with it. plus they don't require karma yoga for participants, so as a first retreat i find this to be useful as it gives more time for learning and practice.
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

lee wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:26 pmthe price is fair tbh
Do you have a link for the price listing?
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།

Return to “Dzogchen”