Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
CedarTree

Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Post by CedarTree »

I proposed this before but there was some hesitation I think maybe now might be a good time on the forum for it.

Astus

Malcolm

Coëmgenu

and other heavyweights *Let's be honest we all know who you are lol*

Tell us about your practice history, what were some big stand out things that you think happened or insights or things you learned or experienced and so forth that helped bring you to where you are now. And where are you now? *Meaning what are you doing, studying, practicing, and how do you see your life and practice as well as others and others practices*

:)

Practice, Practice, Practice
Malcolm

Re: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Post by Malcolm »

CedarTree wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:37 pm I proposed this before but there was some hesitation I think maybe now might be a good time on the forum for it.

Astus

Malcolm

Coëmgenu

Tell us about your practice history, what were some big stand out things that you think happened or insights or things you learned or experienced and so forth that helped bring you to where you are now. And where are you now? *Meaning what are you doing, studying, practicing, and how do you see your life and practice as well as others and others practices*

I study Dzogchen. I practice Dzogchen. I translate ancient texts of Dzogchen. I take breaks for food, coffee, wine, sex, sleep, and tv.
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

CedarTree wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:37 pm I proposed this before but there was some hesitation I think maybe now might be a good time on the forum for it.

Astus

Malcolm

Coëmgenu

They all secretly PM dzogchungpa for practice advice.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

PuerAzaelis wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:39 pm

Astus

Malcolm

Coëmgenu

They all secretly PM dzogchungpa for practice advice.
How did you know?
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

I appreciate your nomination, but I feel that my place has been considerably less well-earned.

I'm currently working two jobs, construction and at a bakery on-and-off.

I wouldn't consider myself a heavyweight of DharmaWheel. Perhaps I would have back when I used to fight regularly with DavidBrainerd over at DhammaWheel, but even then, that was mostly vanity work.

Most of my posts, actually, although I try my best to make them informative and useful, are actually a small part vanity work. If I try to be nice to myself about it, I would say 20-30%, but when I am feeling cynical, I wonder if it is not more.

I re-read them, my posts, back and back obsessively checking for spelling mistakes or ways I could have wrote it better. I actually limit my time actually logged-on to this forum, because of its tendencies to interact with my intellectual vanity.

I bet you didn't expect me to say that!
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:33 pm

Astus

Malcolm

Coëmgenu

I study Dzogchen. I practice Dzogchen. I translate ancient texts of Dzogchen. I take breaks for food, coffee, wine, sex, sleep, and tv.
The Gerard Depardieu of DharmaWheel :tongue:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:33 pm I study Dzogchen. I practice Dzogchen. I translate ancient texts of Dzogchen. I take breaks for food, coffee, wine, sex, sleep, and tv.
How do you make a living? Do you earn income from the translations? Do you make income from teaching? (just curious)
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

DNS wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:20 am
Malcolm wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:33 pm I study Dzogchen. I practice Dzogchen. I translate ancient texts of Dzogchen. I take breaks for food, coffee, wine, sex, sleep, and tv.
How do you make a living? Do you earn income from the translations? Do you make income from teaching? (just curious)
He is doctor of Tibetan Medicine.

Kevin
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I don't. No. No.
passel

Post by passel »

He gets a nickel every time someone quotes him on here. It adds up.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

TharpaChodron wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:49 am
Malcolm wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:33 pm

Astus

Malcolm

Coëmgenu

The Gerard Depardieu of DharmaWheel :tongue:
And I mean the 1985-2005 Gerard Depardieu...
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:07 am I don't. No. No.
Okay, cool. So you make a living doing Tibetan medicine practice? Clients/patients see you or is it all online?
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:33 pmI study Dzogchen. I practice Dzogchen. I translate ancient texts of Dzogchen. I take breaks for food, coffee, wine, sex, sleep, and tv.
Wow I'm almost there! :) All I need now are breaks for practice.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

DNS wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:04 am
Okay, cool. So you make a living doing Tibetan medicine practice? Clients/patients see you or is it all online?
Nope, not that either.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:59 pm
Nope, not that either.
Okay, then what is it? Or would you rather not say? :tongue:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

DNS wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:11 pm
Malcolm wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:59 pm
Nope, not that either.
Okay, then what is it? Or would you rather not say? :tongue:

It is not relevant to discussions here.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:12 pm It is not relevant to discussions here.
Maybe not, but you're a semi-famous person, especially in the Buddhist scene, have written some books, done translations, so if not a "public" person per se, something pretty close where someone might want to write a bio / wikipedia article, amazon.com bio, etc one day, so was curious.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

DNS wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:16 pm
Malcolm wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:12 pm It is not relevant to discussions here.
Maybe not, but you're a semi-famous person, especially in the Buddhist scene, have written some books, done translations, so if not a "public" person per se, something pretty close where someone might want to write a bio / wikipedia article, amazon.com bio, etc one day, so was curious.
I discourage curiosity about my personal life.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Astus

Malcolm

Coëmgenu

thankful I didn't make this list
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I myself am losing weight, which is good news for many reasons. :smile:
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Return to “Lounge”