Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
User avatar
CedarTree
Posts: 556
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:13 pm

Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Post by CedarTree »

I proposed this before but there was some hesitation I think maybe now might be a good time on the forum for it.

Astus

Malcolm

Coëmgenu

and other heavyweights *Let's be honest we all know who you are lol*

Tell us about your practice history, what were some big stand out things that you think happened or insights or things you learned or experienced and so forth that helped bring you to where you are now. And where are you now? *Meaning what are you doing, studying, practicing, and how do you see your life and practice as well as others and others practices*

:)

Practice, Practice, Practice
Malcolm
Posts: 32404
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Post by Malcolm »

CedarTree wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:37 pm I proposed this before but there was some hesitation I think maybe now might be a good time on the forum for it.

Astus

Malcolm

Coëmgenu

and other heavyweights *Let's be honest we all know who you are lol*

Tell us about your practice history, what were some big stand out things that you think happened or insights or things you learned or experienced and so forth that helped bring you to where you are now. And where are you now? *Meaning what are you doing, studying, practicing, and how do you see your life and practice as well as others and others practices*

:)
I study Dzogchen. I practice Dzogchen. I translate ancient texts of Dzogchen. I take breaks for food, coffee, wine, sex, sleep, and tv.
User avatar
PuerAzaelis
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Post by PuerAzaelis »

CedarTree wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:37 pm I proposed this before but there was some hesitation I think maybe now might be a good time on the forum for it.

Astus

Malcolm

Coëmgenu

and other heavyweights *Let's be honest we all know who you are lol*
They all secretly PM dzogchungpa for practice advice.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
Malcolm
Posts: 32404
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Post by Malcolm »

PuerAzaelis wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:39 pm
CedarTree wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:37 pm I proposed this before but there was some hesitation I think maybe now might be a good time on the forum for it.

Astus

Malcolm

Coëmgenu

and other heavyweights *Let's be honest we all know who you are lol*
They all secretly PM dzogchungpa for practice advice.
How did you know?
User avatar
Caoimhghín
Posts: 2768
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:35 pm
Location: Whitby, Ontario

Re: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Post by Caoimhghín »

I appreciate your nomination, but I feel that my place has been considerably less well-earned.

I'm currently working two jobs, construction and at a bakery on-and-off.

I wouldn't consider myself a heavyweight of DharmaWheel. Perhaps I would have back when I used to fight regularly with DavidBrainerd over at DhammaWheel, but even then, that was mostly vanity work.

Most of my posts, actually, although I try my best to make them informative and useful, are actually a small part vanity work. If I try to be nice to myself about it, I would say 20-30%, but when I am feeling cynical, I wonder if it is not more.

I re-read them, my posts, back and back obsessively checking for spelling mistakes or ways I could have wrote it better. I actually limit my time actually logged-on to this forum, because of its tendencies to interact with my intellectual vanity.

I bet you didn't expect me to say that!
savi saghara aṇica di, savi saghara dukha di, savi dhama aṇatva di:
yada paśadi cakhkṣuma tada nivinadi dukha eṣo mago viśodhia.

"All formations are inconstant," he said.
"All formations are stressful," he said.
"All phenomena are selfless," he said.
When one sees this, one becomes adverse to stress, and this is the path of purity.

(Gāndhārī Dharmapada fragments)
User avatar
TharpaChodron
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 am
Location: California

Re: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Post by TharpaChodron »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:33 pm
CedarTree wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:37 pm I proposed this before but there was some hesitation I think maybe now might be a good time on the forum for it.

Astus

Malcolm

Coëmgenu

and other heavyweights *Let's be honest we all know who you are lol*

Tell us about your practice history, what were some big stand out things that you think happened or insights or things you learned or experienced and so forth that helped bring you to where you are now. And where are you now? *Meaning what are you doing, studying, practicing, and how do you see your life and practice as well as others and others practices*

:)
I study Dzogchen. I practice Dzogchen. I translate ancient texts of Dzogchen. I take breaks for food, coffee, wine, sex, sleep, and tv.
The Gerard Depardieu of DharmaWheel :tongue:
User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 3918
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:23 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Post by DNS »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:33 pm I study Dzogchen. I practice Dzogchen. I translate ancient texts of Dzogchen. I take breaks for food, coffee, wine, sex, sleep, and tv.
How do you make a living? Do you earn income from the translations? Do you make income from teaching? (just curious)
User avatar
Virgo
Former staff member
Posts: 3825
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:47 am
Location: Uni-verse

Re: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Post by Virgo »

DNS wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:20 am
Malcolm wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:33 pm I study Dzogchen. I practice Dzogchen. I translate ancient texts of Dzogchen. I take breaks for food, coffee, wine, sex, sleep, and tv.
How do you make a living? Do you earn income from the translations? Do you make income from teaching? (just curious)
He is doctor of Tibetan Medicine.

Kevin
Malcolm
Posts: 32404
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Post by Malcolm »

DNS wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:20 am
Malcolm wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:33 pm I study Dzogchen. I practice Dzogchen. I translate ancient texts of Dzogchen. I take breaks for food, coffee, wine, sex, sleep, and tv.
How do you make a living? Do you earn income from the translations? Do you make income from teaching? (just curious)
I don't. No. No.
passel
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:30 am

Re: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Post by passel »

DNS wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:20 am
Malcolm wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:33 pm I study Dzogchen. I practice Dzogchen. I translate ancient texts of Dzogchen. I take breaks for food, coffee, wine, sex, sleep, and tv.
How do you make a living? Do you earn income from the translations? Do you make income from teaching? (just curious)
He gets a nickel every time someone quotes him on here. It adds up.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
User avatar
TharpaChodron
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 am
Location: California

Re: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Post by TharpaChodron »

TharpaChodron wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:49 am
Malcolm wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:33 pm
CedarTree wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:37 pm I proposed this before but there was some hesitation I think maybe now might be a good time on the forum for it.

Astus

Malcolm

Coëmgenu

and other heavyweights *Let's be honest we all know who you are lol*

Tell us about your practice history, what were some big stand out things that you think happened or insights or things you learned or experienced and so forth that helped bring you to where you are now. And where are you now? *Meaning what are you doing, studying, practicing, and how do you see your life and practice as well as others and others practices*

:)
I study Dzogchen. I practice Dzogchen. I translate ancient texts of Dzogchen. I take breaks for food, coffee, wine, sex, sleep, and tv.
The Gerard Depardieu of DharmaWheel :tongue:
And I mean the 1985-2005 Gerard Depardieu...
User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 3918
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:23 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Post by DNS »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:07 am I don't. No. No.
Okay, cool. So you make a living doing Tibetan medicine practice? Clients/patients see you or is it all online?
Tiago Simões
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:41 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Post by Tiago Simões »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:33 pmI study Dzogchen. I practice Dzogchen. I translate ancient texts of Dzogchen. I take breaks for food, coffee, wine, sex, sleep, and tv.
Wow I'm almost there! :) All I need now are breaks for practice.
Malcolm
Posts: 32404
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Post by Malcolm »

DNS wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:04 am
Malcolm wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:07 am I don't. No. No.
Okay, cool. So you make a living doing Tibetan medicine practice? Clients/patients see you or is it all online?
Nope, not that either.
User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 3918
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:23 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Post by DNS »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:59 pm
DNS wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:04 am
Malcolm wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:07 am I don't. No. No.
Okay, cool. So you make a living doing Tibetan medicine practice? Clients/patients see you or is it all online?
Nope, not that either.
Okay, then what is it? Or would you rather not say? :tongue:
Malcolm
Posts: 32404
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Post by Malcolm »

DNS wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:11 pm
Malcolm wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:59 pm
DNS wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:04 am
Okay, cool. So you make a living doing Tibetan medicine practice? Clients/patients see you or is it all online?
Nope, not that either.
Okay, then what is it? Or would you rather not say? :tongue:

It is not relevant to discussions here.
User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 3918
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:23 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Post by DNS »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:12 pm It is not relevant to discussions here.
Maybe not, but you're a semi-famous person, especially in the Buddhist scene, have written some books, done translations, so if not a "public" person per se, something pretty close where someone might want to write a bio / wikipedia article, amazon.com bio, etc one day, so was curious.
Malcolm
Posts: 32404
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Post by Malcolm »

DNS wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:16 pm
Malcolm wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:12 pm It is not relevant to discussions here.
Maybe not, but you're a semi-famous person, especially in the Buddhist scene, have written some books, done translations, so if not a "public" person per se, something pretty close where someone might want to write a bio / wikipedia article, amazon.com bio, etc one day, so was curious.
I discourage curiosity about my personal life.
DGA
Former staff member
Posts: 9423
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Post by DGA »

CedarTree wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:37 pm I proposed this before but there was some hesitation I think maybe now might be a good time on the forum for it.

Astus

Malcolm

Coëmgenu

...
thankful I didn't make this list
User avatar
conebeckham
Posts: 5107
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Post by conebeckham »

I myself am losing weight, which is good news for many reasons. :smile:
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།


"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Post Reply

Return to “Lounge”