Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
CedarTree

Re: Dharma Wheel Heavy Weights

Post by CedarTree »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:21 pm
DNS wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:16 pm
Malcolm wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:12 pm It is not relevant to discussions here.
Maybe not, but you're a semi-famous person, especially in the Buddhist scene, have written some books, done translations, so if not a "public" person per se, something pretty close where someone might want to write a bio / wikipedia article, amazon.com bio, etc one day, so was curious.
I discourage curiosity about my personal life.
DNS your not the only one that has wondered this. I have often thought Malcolm supported himself with Tibetan Medicine or teaching. Definitely curious hah!

Also Malcolm could you go a bit more personal into your practice and translation work, any translations that have really stood out to you and why? Things in practice that you wish you could tell your younger self.

Practice, Practice, Practice
CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:26 am I appreciate your nomination, but I feel that my place has been considerably less well-earned.

I'm currently working two jobs, construction and at a bakery on-and-off.

I wouldn't consider myself a heavyweight of DharmaWheel. Perhaps I would have back when I used to fight regularly with DavidBrainerd over at DhammaWheel, but even then, that was mostly vanity work.

Most of my posts, actually, although I try my best to make them informative and useful, are actually a small part vanity work. If I try to be nice to myself about it, I would say 20-30%, but when I am feeling cynical, I wonder if it is not more.

I re-read them, my posts, back and back obsessively checking for spelling mistakes or ways I could have wrote it better. I actually limit my time actually logged-on to this forum, because of its tendencies to interact with my intellectual vanity.

I bet you didn't expect me to say that!
How did you become such a scholar on the texts! Lol

CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

DGA wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:29 pm
CedarTree wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:37 pm I proposed this before but there was some hesitation I think maybe now might be a good time on the forum for it.

Astus

Malcolm

Coëmgenu

thankful I didn't make this list
The periods implied you.... Start talking... Also tell Astus to get in here :tongue:

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:33 pm
CedarTree wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:37 pm I proposed this before but there was some hesitation I think maybe now might be a good time on the forum for it.

Astus

Malcolm

Coëmgenu

and other heavyweights *Let's be honest we all know who you are lol*

Tell us about your practice history, what were some big stand out things that you think happened or insights or things you learned or experienced and so forth that helped bring you to where you are now. And where are you now? *Meaning what are you doing, studying, practicing, and how do you see your life and practice as well as others and others practices*

:)

I study Dzogchen. I practice Dzogchen. I translate ancient texts of Dzogchen. I take breaks for food, coffee, wine, sex, sleep, and tv.
May you continue, by all means. :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

CedarTree wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:55 pm

Astus

Malcolm

Coëmgenu

The periods implied you.... Start talking...
But I'm not really a heavyweight, am I? BMI of 27.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

CedarTree wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:53 pm
Malcolm wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:21 pm
DNS wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:16 pm

Maybe not, but you're a semi-famous person, especially in the Buddhist scene, have written some books, done translations, so if not a "public" person per se, something pretty close where someone might want to write a bio / wikipedia article, amazon.com bio, etc one day, so was curious.
I discourage curiosity about my personal life.
DNS your not the only one that has wondered this. I have often thought Malcolm supported himself with Tibetan Medicine or teaching. Definitely curious hah!

Also Malcolm could you go a bit more personal into your practice and translation work, any translations that have really stood out to you and why? Things in practice that you wish you could tell your younger self.

I never discuss my practice. Long standing policy.

I am very enthused our translation (Zangthal Editions) of two major Dzogchen tantras will be released by Wisdom August, 28th, 2018.

https://www.amazon.com/Self-Arisen-Vidy ... isen+vidyā
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

!
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

CedarTree wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:53 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:26 am I appreciate your nomination, but I feel that my place has been considerably less well-earned.

I'm currently working two jobs, construction and at a bakery on-and-off.

I wouldn't consider myself a heavyweight of DharmaWheel. Perhaps I would have back when I used to fight regularly with DavidBrainerd over at DhammaWheel, but even then, that was mostly vanity work.

Most of my posts, actually, although I try my best to make them informative and useful, are actually a small part vanity work. If I try to be nice to myself about it, I would say 20-30%, but when I am feeling cynical, I wonder if it is not more.

I re-read them, my posts, back and back obsessively checking for spelling mistakes or ways I could have wrote it better. I actually limit my time actually logged-on to this forum, because of its tendencies to interact with my intellectual vanity.

I bet you didn't expect me to say that!
How did you become such a scholar on the texts! Lol
The internet!

I also don't think I am a scholar concerning these texts. For instance, I don't think I could get published. I don't have any qualifications. I am teaching myself Chinese currently with the interest of learning it as a dharma language, but I don't have any degrees or certifications for it.

I have a BFA with a specialization in Music that is almost complete, though. If that counts.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

CedarTree wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:53 pm Things in practice that you wish you could tell your younger self.
Stay in retreat and never leave.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

conebeckham wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:04 pm I myself am losing weight, which is good news for many reasons. :smile:
In that case you are hereby removed from the list of heavy weights. Your new weight class is welterweight. :tongue:
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

DNS wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:33 pm
conebeckham wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:04 pm I myself am losing weight, which is good news for many reasons. :smile:
In that case you are hereby removed from the list of heavy weights. Your new weight class is welterweight. :tongue:
Yippee!
Now, can you do something about my graying hair? :smile:
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Anyone with a BMI under 30 after Xmas is hereby disqualified as a heavyweight for simply not taking Yule Ganapuja seriously.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

conebeckham wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:37 pm
Yippee!
Sure, easy. Come on over and I'll shave your head like mine.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

DNS wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:42 pm

Yippee!
Isn't it funny how arbitrary my attachments are? I am happy to shed some pounds, but hang on to my (graying) hair. Reminds me of Milarepa's "Finger sweater" which was meant for another member...... :smile:
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Astus

Malcolm

Coëmgenu

An omission in my view.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

conebeckham wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:17 pm
DNS wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:42 pm

Yippee!
Isn't it funny how arbitrary my attachments are? I am happy to shed some pounds, but hang on to my (graying) hair. Reminds me of Milarepa's "Finger sweater" which was meant for another member...... :smile:

And another omission. One of the most respected posters among the Vajrayana members.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

What we really need is a DW rating system, kind of like what they have for chess.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

dzogchungpa wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:30 am What we really need is a DW rating system, kind of like what they have for chess.
IMO this kind of thing is toxic for discussion fora.
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:29 pm
I never discuss my practice. Long standing policy.
Personal policy or due to nature of secret Mantrayana? :thinking:
boda

Post by boda »

dzogchungpa wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:30 am What we really need is a DW rating system, kind of like what they have for chess.
I’m around 1500 in blitz matches.

Return to “Lounge”